This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

GTA IV: Lack of checkpoints kills it.

#1ChaseFAQsPosted 9/11/2011 8:21:55 AM
I'm 38 missions in GTA IV and I can't bring myself to go on any further due to the lack of checkpoints. I know this issue was rectified in the expansion packs, but should I even bother trudging through the main game? The city is the alive and beautiful but this game has some huge game design flaws including clunky controls (shooting, cover, driving) that I can't ignore. Did the reviewers even acknowledge these problems when they were handing out the 10's?

But seriously is it worth my effort to try to complete the game and see what the rest of the missions offer or have I seen all it has to offer after 38 missions?
#2Carribean_CoolPosted 9/11/2011 8:22:48 AM
You could always play Red Dead Redemption...
---
Snitsky's Condoms. If she get's pregnant, it's not your fault.
#3ChaseFAQs(Topic Creator)Posted 9/11/2011 8:25:01 AM
Played RDR and beat it, now working through my way through the Undead Nightmare DLC. Ironically enough RDR is my favorite game this gen as it got everything right. But GTA IV, I want to love it but I can't.
#4ReeGPosted 9/11/2011 8:27:29 AM
take your time during missions and you'll die less. Checkpoints never bothered me in GTA IV. It's generally a fantastic game.
---
Currently Playing : Infamous 2, Xenoblade, Fruit Ninja Kinect, Child of Eden, Windwaker, Twilight Princess, Ballad of Gay Tony, BFBC2
#5scoobydoobydontPosted 9/11/2011 8:27:37 AM
I agree it is a major issue, but I don't think it kills it.
---
Sometimes questions are more important than answers.
#6art_of_the_killPosted 9/11/2011 8:28:43 AM
You must have never played previous GTAs.

There's no checkpoint system, no cover system, clunky shooting controls, even a three-star wanted level is nearly impossible to lose, and if you die, you lose ever single one of your weapons.
---
"You've lost this argument!"
--- John Marston while lassoing/hogtying someone. Favorite quote this gen.
#7scythecamPosted 9/11/2011 8:33:27 AM
art_of_the_kill posted...
You must have never played previous GTAs.

There's no checkpoint system, no cover system, clunky shooting controls, even a three-star wanted level is nearly impossible to lose, and if you die, you lose ever single one of your weapons.

this. compared to previous installments (especially 3 and libert city stories) gta4 is a walk in the park.
---
how come when its greek its mythology,
when its christian its the truth?
#8ChaseFAQs(Topic Creator)Posted 9/11/2011 8:34:39 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#9art_of_the_killPosted 9/11/2011 8:38:30 AM
Well you can always use cheats. That's always been an option.
---
"You've lost this argument!"
--- John Marston while lassoing/hogtying someone. Favorite quote this gen.
#10ChaseFAQs(Topic Creator)Posted 9/11/2011 8:41:12 AM
I hate using cheats to "beat" a game because it feels like less of an accomplishment. It's an OCD thing but I think with this game I'm going to have to.