This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

RTS Genre: looking for advise

#1VashelPosted 9/11/2011 8:51:33 AM
I finally decided to finish my backlog, now I'm at the point when I'm running out of options and I have 3 RTS' that I haven't finish(360:Halo Wars and LOTR:BFME2, PC Dawn of War 2). I've never managed to finish an RTS before because I always stop at the point where things star to get hard in each game, in other words I suck at this genre. I really find this games fun so I was wondering if anyone has any basic tips so I can get any better and finish these games.
---
Gamertag: V4sh L
#2OgesMCPosted 9/11/2011 9:55:59 AM
The only RTS games I enjoyed since the first (way back when) is the Command & Conquer games. The units, gameplay, graphics, and goofy live action bits keep you pushing on. These Halo and Lord of the Rings things I know nothing about. Pick up Red Alert 3 or something.
---
35 Lightnin'
#3ObtikPosted 9/11/2011 9:59:54 AM
Go for Halo Wars.. it'll keep you interested in the story.. because there actually is a story. As much as I like Command and Conquer and Red Alert.. the storys have always been basically nonexistant. With Halo wars.. you have a story, and if you ever get stuck just go for a walkthrough or something like that.. the missions are pretty short so that will work for you
---
If you want peace, prepare for war!
#4thatauthorPosted 9/11/2011 10:40:53 AM(edited)
if you don't mind cheating, you can do these(LOTR doesn't have any besides unlocking hereos):

Dawn of War(if it's the Warhammer game): enter the console(by default Control-Shift-Tilde)
then press cheat_power( n ) for "Give yourself "n" units of power"

Halo wars: find skulls 10-17(except maybe #12, since it makes NPC units explode or something) a guide for all 17 is here:

http://www.gamesradar.com/halo-wars-guide-to-skulls-and-black-boxes/
---
...I'm going to stop thinking about that before my head explodes. - SwordznGunz
#5JukainPosted 9/11/2011 10:42:29 AM
Drop those three games and get Brutal Legend.
---
"In peace, vigilance. In war, victory. In death, sacrifice." ~ The Gray Wardens
http://www.trueachievements.com/mygames.aspx?gamerid=71900
#6code_of_conductPosted 9/11/2011 10:43:41 AM
A good Real Time Shooter is CoD; multiplayer is perfect.
---
CoD 4 - 5/10. CoDW@W - 9/10. MW2 - 2/10. Blops - 7/10
SILENT HILL: DOWNPOUR! ES5: SKYRIM! BATTLEFIELD 3!
#7ScymitePosted 9/11/2011 10:53:09 AM
RTS Genre: looking for advise

I advise you to use the correct form of the word advice.
---
"half life is god, if you gave gordon freeman long hair he'd be freaken jesus with a crowbar" -- ilovecarebears
#8Private_NoobPosted 9/11/2011 12:59:04 PM
Upgrade your PC and get StarCraft II. Enough said.
---
Currently caught between a shotgun, a rocket, and a hard place.
#9AsucaHayashiPosted 9/11/2011 1:38:32 PM
if he can run DoW 2, he can run SC2.
---
''PC/360 titles are Microsoft exclusive meaning not on Apple or Linux, meaning the people who own Windows own 360 which still makes it exclusive''. ~Phamous1
#10darkharePosted 9/11/2011 5:55:40 PM
i would download and play the demo R.U.S.E, imo its the best rts game on the 360 at this time.
---
all 360 games should have a demo. lets put revieweres out of business.