This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Reviewers need 2 scales: Casual and Hardcore

#1MRL3G3NDPosted 9/14/2011 7:45:32 AM
Seriously because I'm getting confused, and I honestly think the reviewers are as well.

for example
Child of eden, a full retail game, sold for $60..was roughly 1 hour long...yet several reviewers gave it 9's and 10's it sits at 84 on metacritic.

If a hardcore game was $60 and was 1 hour long it would get slammed, but since the wife and kids have a blast at simple mundane iphone games on the big screen...casual games get to sit right next to the big dogs (scorewise)

Now we have gunstringer...and excellent effort, but as far as hardcore gaming goes, it's a mere 5 minute distraction before the AAA blockbusters hit...no way does it meet the qualifications to sit in our consoles for more than a week.

Gunstringer shares a score of 83 on metacritic with catherine, and it beats out Driver...

There needs to be separate scores to be fair to the customers and the general gaming community.

Score the game on it's actual playability, length, fun, and depth...half the games in the top 20 are arcade games...tiny peices of games if you ask me.

Then score it's "casualbility", can the wife and kids play it? Is it fun? Do they understand it? How about the language? Any suggestive themes?

What say Ye?
---
Tactical Gaming At Its Best!!!!
THE HUNTEDhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GcRpksz6nk&lc
#2CyricsServantPosted 9/14/2011 7:53:06 AM
I think the problem has more to do with the fact that most reviewers don't consider a game's suggested retail price.

They look at games as if they exist in a vacuum, and therefore their ratings don't take into account things like value-per-dollar.

I can sort of understand why they don't... game prices fluctuate a lot and eventually most games end up being dirt cheap. Still... I think the price of a game should be considered. For example, if I had bought Limbo for $15 instead of $5 I probably would have been pissed... even though I love Limbo.
#3TimberWolfBobbyPosted 9/14/2011 7:57:58 AM
Reviewers need 2 scales: Games I Like and Games I Don' t Like

Fixed your topic title for you.
---
"maybe its time to change your name to timberwolfrobert" - brunbbmerc
GT: TenaciousBobby
#4teehee23Posted 9/14/2011 8:01:05 AM
The Topic= nah....
---
Don't hate us because we're beautiful...
#5MRL3G3ND(Topic Creator)Posted 9/14/2011 8:05:57 AM
CyricsServant posted...
I think the problem has more to do with the fact that most reviewers don't consider a game's suggested retail price.

They look at games as if they exist in a vacuum, and therefore their ratings don't take into account things like value-per-dollar.

I can sort of understand why they don't... game prices fluctuate a lot and eventually most games end up being dirt cheap. Still... I think the price of a game should be considered. For example, if I had bought Limbo for $15 instead of $5 I probably would have been pissed... even though I love Limbo.

games used to be slammed all the time for how short they were. Not even 5 months ago there was a huge debate on why 10hrs was the norm now...

NOW arcade games in the top 10 are no more than 1-3 hours tops. I think casual gaming is destroying hardocre...for the simple fact that: why would developers spend millions to develop a game that can't compete with an iphone port?

it doesn't make sense
---
Tactical Gaming At Its Best!!!!
THE HUNTEDhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GcRpksz6nk&lc
#6SweepzzPosted 9/14/2011 8:07:35 AM
Hardcore and Casual gamers.

They don't exist.
---
Official Rhodium of GameFaqs
"The world sucks" - Me
#7Jpsyence77Posted 9/14/2011 8:11:40 AM

Score the game on it's actual playability, length, fun, and depth

I thought that what those idiots were supposed to do in the first place. LOL!

I think two scores would simply muck up the system. Though I do agree something needs to be done. When we go out to purchase something ( anything ), the price is a indicator for many things...estimated value, quality of products used in it's production, or brand name. We all know if we buy a cheap stereo system for less than $100, we have the expectation that it might be a piece of ****. Yet, if we spend $5000 on a B&W system, we expect it to last until the end of time. So, I understand the argument, I just don't think 2 separate rating systems would help. If nothing else, the market decides what is crap. There have been plenty of AAA titles that tanked, and weeks later the game was at least $20 cheaper. So maybe as gamers we shouldn't do pre-ordering so much with games we have never played. Perhaps we should wait for a week to see how the game is received. Purchasing day one tells developers we don't care about price or quality. What do you think would have happened ... Games go from $50 to $60...but instead of still buying day one....What if... gamers actually stood up and said no. And didn't purchase any game until it dipped below $50....do you think we would still be paying $60 for a game?? I don't think so...supply and demand don't work that way. I think if we made a concerted effort to fight high game prices as a collective group we could shape our own industry. IMO.
---
XBL = JPsyence77
#8Citrate1007Posted 9/14/2011 8:15:02 AM
Have you played Child of Eden TC? Doesn't sound like you have.
---
Relax, it's just a game.
#9MrMikeMaPosted 9/14/2011 8:18:57 AM
Wow.

Cannot believe you created a new topic to cry about this.

Will you whine if IGN only gives Skyrim a 9.0?
---
my Bayonetta tattoo
http://www.flickr.com/photos/28411423@N08/
#10TimberWolfBobbyPosted 9/14/2011 8:23:38 AM
MrMikeMa posted...
Wow.

Cannot believe you created a new topic to cry about this.

Will you whine if IGN only gives Skyrim a 9.0?

Yep. Reminds me of a running joke at gamesradar.com, one of my favorite gaming sites. They scored Halo: Reach an 8, and there was a huge uproar in the comments/forums (led to a hilarious skit on their podcast), and now anytime they score anything over an 8 on a game, and it's not a AAA release, there's always a flood of "Well I guess that means this game is better than Halo: Reach!" complaints.

Some people will be forever close-minded. Like someone else said, there's really no such thing as Hardcore vs Casual gamer. It's more like Elitist vs. Non-Elitist gamer. Guess which group the TC belongs to.
---
"maybe its time to change your name to timberwolfrobert" - brunbbmerc
GT: TenaciousBobby