This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

"If you're a FF Tactics guy, you probably shouldn't be reviewing Gears of War."

#51Grandy12Posted 9/21/2011 8:23:30 AM
sonicteam2k1 posted...
Trugamer posted...
Is there some rule that says a FF tactics guy cannot possibly enjoy a shooter?

He should just be thankful most reveiwers will give him the GTA4 treatment aka basing a review score on sales projections / pre order numbers

no, you miss the point. He's simply stating if you're the type of gamer who doesn't enjoy shooters at all and you enjoy games specifically like FF tactics then it would probably be a bad idea for you to b reviewing a shooter if you don't like shooters to begin with.

that's like m reviewing a sports or music game. I hate both so why in the world would I be reviewing them?

Some people just aren't good at comprehension.

That eventually defaults to "If you don't like this game don't review it", no?

If that's the case wouldn't every game in the world either have no review or only 10/10s?
---
Relevance is a prerequisite for cleverness. ~ LHS_2012
JUS: 4382-1831-2782 Brawl: 4382 7053 3006
#52JonnyBigBossPosted 9/21/2011 9:25:17 AM
FF Tactics is one of my top 5 favorite games of all time.

I dislike Halo and Gears of War thoroughly.

He has a point I guess.
---
www.playstationlifestyle.net
#53takidigits2005Posted 9/21/2011 9:27:10 AM
I agree. Big difference betweeen an RTS and a third-person shooter.
---
"You know I can't play without a GUI -TAR string, n-n-n-n-n-nephew!!!" --- Uncle Pecos
#54MertensCWPosted 9/21/2011 10:57:06 AM
Without knowing the reviewer who he's talking about. I'd have to say that it would make sense for someone who has a certain level of familiarity with a genre to review certain games.
It doesn't seem too much to ask for imo.

As to whether or not he's right in this case doesn't matter to me.
---
Some All time Favorites - Ninja Gaiden 1-2,Colony Wars 1-3,Xenogears,MarioKart,Lunar 2,GTA:VC/SA,Sonic 2,S&K,FF6-7,Zanac,S. Metroid,SMB2,NFL2K5,Halo 2, NG2
#55pothocketPosted 9/21/2011 11:06:37 AM
On the one hand, clearly a critic should judge a game on its own merits rather than compare it to other games. On the other hand, Cliff is a realist and understands that most of the reviews will be written by people pretending to be journalists and will judge his game based on what their idea of a good game should be rather than the reality of what is.

Can you imagine movie reviews if all the critics based their scores solely on the narratives content rather than how well the movie told its narrative? Well that's what game critics are doing.
---
well I am not like your dad. I worked as a chef at TGIF-Mattson
#56peter_888Posted 9/21/2011 11:09:43 AM
takidigits2005 posted...
I agree. Big difference betweeen an RTS and a third-person shooter.

well I sort of agree that if you don't like the genre, then you shouldn't be reviewing it. But I believe that just because people who play different genre doesn't exempt them from reviewing it. Oh yeah, Final Fantsy tactics isn't a rts, its a srpg.
---
I'm a gamer dang it, not a pc gamer or a console gamer, just a gamer.
http://www.youtube.com/user/Peter47890
#57EnemyWithin88Posted 9/21/2011 1:13:14 PM
I keep hearing this baby crying. Anyone know where its coming from?
---
Play Slow Die Ignorant