This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How can an achievement be considered a cheat?

#1knightimexPosted 9/21/2011 8:30:57 AM(edited)
If you look at it to solely gain achievement points then that's correct.
But IMO that's just stupid it's doesn't even affect gameplay anything.

Cheating by the way I remember it was about gaining a massive advantage over the game at hand that completely changed gameplay to a much easier task.

(Infinite life, lives, ammo, etc as an example)

I really wish gamefaqs would fix this.

Achievements If anything are spoilers at best.
The game already tells you the majority of what you need to do to earn most of them.
---
I hate to admit it, but I'm a graphics whore in denial.
#2KingLSPosted 9/21/2011 8:39:54 AM
Yeah there should really be an "achievements/trophies" tab.
---
http://i996.photobucket.com/albums/af84/TheKingLS/DelRioHaters.gif
#3pakathecatPosted 9/21/2011 12:21:29 PM
Yeah, I agree, a separate tab for them would be nice.
#4lubmelubyouPosted 9/21/2011 12:22:44 PM
You are cheating by finding out the descriptions of some of the achievements.
#5Citrate1007Posted 9/21/2011 12:31:48 PM
Cheats in games where better before the internet. They were spread by word of mouth and the Konami code was king. Now that they can fit more data into a game a lot of what would have been an old cheat is now just in the options or new game+

God I miss the Konami Code
---
Relax, it's just a game.
#6MinamoPosted 9/21/2011 12:49:14 PM
Citrate1007 posted...
Cheats in games where better before the internet. They were spread by word of mouth and the Konami code was king. Now that they can fit more data into a game a lot of what would have been an old cheat is now just in the options or new game+

So because you have no self-control cheats suck now? Now don't get me wrong, I miss having the good ol' cheats like refilling health or ammo in the GTA games, or iddqd, but just because the internet exists and its possible to look it up that developers are forced to not put cheats in their games. If you don't want to know the cheats instantly and instead hear about it from word-of-mouth, don't look at the Cheats tab, simple as that. If anything, the existence of achievements is the sole reason we don't have real cheats these days, which makes their placement in the Cheats tab all the more ironic.
#7SragentThomPosted 9/21/2011 1:01:34 PM
"Citrate1007 posted...
Cheats in games where better before the internet. They were spread by word of mouth and the Konami code was king. Now that they can fit more data into a game a lot of what would have been an old cheat is now just in the options or new game+"

You don't need extra space for new cheat commands. They can be entered with a debugger with a cheating device. Misleading to say that limited cartridge space is the blame for codes that take up almost nothing. If they Dev wanted the players to have more cheat codes they could have put more accessible button combinations.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7VGdc0ixSg&feature=related
Super Ronald Kart
#8Michael__ColePosted 9/21/2011 1:09:26 PM
You are cheating by finding out the descriptions of some of the achievements.

Aside from secret achievements, all of those descriptions are easily accessible by calling up your achievements list after launching the game once.
---
Oh my!
#9ZashulePosted 9/21/2011 1:12:22 PM
Citrate1007 posted...

Same here. I miss having all my friends ask me stuff, or being the guy who knew alot about games. "Yeah, press up, down, left, right, at the title screen to get level select" Those were good times.
---
Currently Playing: Red Dead Redemption, NFS Prostreet, Lost Odyssey, SEGA All-Star Racing and SW:TFU.
Current XBOX LIVE GS: 67,960 Next Goal: 70,000