This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Anyone remember...

#1Duh_Bad_GuyPosted 9/22/2011 10:50:06 AM
When you sat down and played a videogame and it took 20+ hours to beat and you felt satisfaction?

I beat Gears 3 in literally 5 hours and was left with WTF? Good story but I wish it was longer. Dead island can be completed in 8 hours no sides. I feel like i need to stick to bethelsda games to get longevity. These games now and days are too short. I remember when I rented chrono trigger for snes every weekend for a month and a half straight before I beat it. I was younger with no cares or a life with all time on my hands.

Is it laziness or more focus on multiplayer?
---
GT: Lynch ANBU / lBarack oDRAMA
Not changing signature until gamefaqs allow the use of profanity. Started 4-2-11
#2Killah PriestPosted 9/22/2011 10:52:05 AM
wow I've put ~11 hours in dead island already and I haven't even passed act 1.
---
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.
#3green butterPosted 9/22/2011 10:55:01 AM
video games have changed. a lot of us have grown up and got jobs. i remember back in middle school, i could sit down and play a playstation RPG for like 10 hours straight and not get bored. back then i used to care the most about how long a game was. if it was like under 40 hours i disregarded it.

but now gamers arent just basement dwellers anymore. a lot of us have grown up and got jobs and dont have time to get into some 80 hour epic game. also, a lot more "casual" gamers play now that just want to enjoy an action packed game for 45 minutes and then go do another activity.

thats just how things are now. i remember reading an article where it said like the vast majority of people on xbox live have never even finished most of their games. and that includes games like CoD. so if people arent playing them, why make some massive game?
---
http://i.imgur.com/LhwwG.gif
http://www.last.fm/user/celtics91
#4MrMikeMaPosted 9/22/2011 10:55:53 AM
It's called checkpoints
---
my Bayonetta tattoo
http://www.flickr.com/photos/28411423@N08/
#5tisukoPosted 9/22/2011 10:57:40 AM
how did you beat gears 3 in 5 hours? it took me at least a good 12 hours to complete it.. i did search for alot of collectibles also.
did you skip all the cut scenes, and just run past everything that you could?

also, most games now a days are all focused on multiplayer. which makes single player suffer
---
+_AN|?+=E+ ?w?_+ i
http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/2263/cavejohnson.jpg - yes, i would love to do that.
#6Duh_Bad_Guy(Topic Creator)Posted 9/22/2011 11:21:51 AM
tisuko posted...
how did you beat gears 3 in 5 hours? it took me at least a good 12 hours to complete it.. i did search for alot of collectibles also.
did you skip all the cut scenes, and just run past everything that you could?

also, most games now a days are all focused on multiplayer. which makes single player suffer

I only found 5 collectables, skipped only the cutscenes I knew what the outcome would be like Dom scene. Skipped ice t scenes because I hate his voice.
---
GT: Lynch ANBU / lBarack oDRAMA
Not changing signature until gamefaqs allow the use of profanity. Started 4-2-11
#7Arucard05Posted 9/22/2011 11:27:02 AM

Is it laziness or more focus on multiplayer?

Laziness. On your part. "Dead island can be completed in 8 hours no sides." Then do the sides!
---
You should buy Beyond Good and Evil HD. Seriously, please?
#8TreewallerPosted 9/22/2011 11:29:55 AM
Were you really expecting the length of Gears 3 to be on par with a SNES JRPG?
---
"Hey Sockbaby! You wanna food up with us or what?!"
Game o' the Moment: Hannah Montana - The Movie Game
#9pothocketPosted 9/22/2011 11:36:36 AM
It's your own fault you don't feel saitisfied. You're rushing through the game, skipping narrative, passing on side quest, and then complaining how shallow games. I put forth that it's actually the players that have become shallow.
---
well I am not like your dad. I worked as a chef at TGIF-Mattson
#10QuetzocoetlPosted 9/22/2011 11:39:46 AM
I remember the last few games that took me 20+ hours:
Dragon Age 2
Mass Effect 1 and 2
Oblivion

See a pattern? All RPGs.
I find it funny that gamers who complain about game length always tend to compare a modern FPS to an old RPG.
---
Retribution Boards >retribution.muux.org< -Free Forum, Free Speech.
Gamertag: Quetzocoetl