This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

NAT problems with 2 360's on the same network

#1JirynPosted 9/22/2011 8:29:51 PM
My wife and I both have a 360.
However when we tried playing Gears of War 3 recently we noticed whichever Xbox was turned on first gets Open NAT while the 2nd system is Strict NAT.

Is there a way to open up both with out screwing up the entire router? I also have a PS3 on the network as well.
---
The patience it takes to play FFXI and EQ is the patience it takes to kill yourself by bashing your head into a wall.
#2FustmonkeyPosted 9/22/2011 9:09:24 PM
I have some info on multiple 360 on the same router here:

http://s1.zetaboards.com/FewGoodMen/topic/4258282/

Two or more Xbox 360s online at the same time

There's some things you could try but ultimately it's doing to depend on your router. The Dlinks I've dealt with handle multiple 360s online at the same time perfectly. I hate to be a router fanboy, but Dlinks seem to work best for this and for gaming in general, with little or no additional setup and I've worked with many router brands and models, and custom firmwares.

Things to try:

--You need to have no ports forwarded to either 360. Don't have either in the DMZ. Just enable UPNP.

--If that doesn't work, you can try port triggering, usually called Applications or Special Applications in the router's settings.

--If that doesn't work, you can try forwarding ports to one 360 and put the other in the DMZ

These are general tips, regardless of having two 360 or whatever:
--If you have DSL your router should be in PPPoE mode, and your modem may need to be put into bridged mode.

--Don't make a manual IP address on any of your 360. Instead, reserve the IP address from the router's settings . If your router doesn't support that, then you could just turn up the lease time for the DHCP server so the 360 keeps getting the same IP address for a long time.

--Get the latest firmware for the router from your router's manufacturer's webpage. You can also see if your router supports DDWRT and use that.

-- never forward port 80 (or 53) on any of your consoles, regardless of the dumb guides you find online (and the Sony and 360 support sites). Your other consoles and computers need those ports. If you ever do forward with the 360, you only forward ports 88UDP and 3074 TCP and UDP, and you may want to look up the specific game for additional ports. But ignore ports 53 and 80.

---
Fix your NAT: http://www.freewebs.com/haximo/ports.htm
#3MadDewgPosted 9/22/2011 11:15:31 PM
Marblesbunbun posted...
My wife and I both have a 360.
However when we tried playing Gears of War 3 recently we noticed whichever Xbox was turned on first gets Open NAT while the 2nd system is Strict NAT.

Is there a way to open up both with out screwing up the entire router? I also have a PS3 on the network as well.

This used to happen to me also with my dlink router and my dsl connection that was set up wrong. To fix it I had to switch the modem to bridged mode, then on the router settings switch the connection type from dynamic to pppoe mode. From there, enable the UPnP feature on your router, cut off the firewall if needed and it should be on open NAT 24/7, for both the 360 and PS3.
---
GTag:MadDogg730 PSN:lMadDogg Playin' bayonetta, rogue galaxy, dark cloud 2, borderlands. Come on console phantasy star online 2 port.
#4Jiryn(Topic Creator)Posted 9/22/2011 11:48:32 PM
fustmonkey posted...
I have some info on multiple 360 on the same router here:

http://s1.zetaboards.com/FewGoodMen/topic/4258282/

Two or more Xbox 360s online at the same time

There's some things you could try but ultimately it's doing to depend on your router. The Dlinks I've dealt with handle multiple 360s online at the same time perfectly. I hate to be a router fanboy, but Dlinks seem to work best for this and for gaming in general, with little or no additional setup and I've worked with many router brands and models, and custom firmwares.

Things to try:

--You need to have no ports forwarded to either 360. Don't have either in the DMZ. Just enable UPNP.

--If that doesn't work, you can try port triggering, usually called Applications or Special Applications in the router's settings.

--If that doesn't work, you can try forwarding ports to one 360 and put the other in the DMZ

These are general tips, regardless of having two 360 or whatever:
--If you have DSL your router should be in PPPoE mode, and your modem may need to be put into bridged mode.

--Don't make a manual IP address on any of your 360. Instead, reserve the IP address from the router's settings . If your router doesn't support that, then you could just turn up the lease time for the DHCP server so the 360 keeps getting the same IP address for a long time.

--Get the latest firmware for the router from your router's manufacturer's webpage. You can also see if your router supports DDWRT and use that.

-- never forward port 80 (or 53) on any of your consoles, regardless of the dumb guides you find online (and the Sony and 360 support sites). Your other consoles and computers need those ports. If you ever do forward with the 360, you only forward ports 88UDP and 3074 TCP and UDP, and you may want to look up the specific game for additional ports. But ignore ports 53 and 80.

Currently is it set to UPNP with no port forwarding/dmz on.. it is a new Linksys router
I never bought D-link because they have some major security flaws.
---
The patience it takes to play FFXI and EQ is the patience it takes to kill yourself by bashing your head into a wall.
#5FustmonkeyPosted 9/23/2011 12:49:12 AM
What security flaws?
---
#6Jiryn(Topic Creator)Posted 9/23/2011 2:16:48 AM
fustmonkey posted...
What security flaws?

No specific example honestly... i was just always taught they were inferior in college
Many reviews point out buffering problems
---
#7FustmonkeyPosted 9/23/2011 2:52:19 AM(edited)
If you google any router you'll find complaints. If you look at reviews of routers at places like Amazon and Newegg, often you'll find bogus claims about problems, simply because the people using them don't know what they're doing. Check the dates and the firmware versions of some of those articles too. Getting the latest firmware for routers is a good idea. I'm not claiming to be an expert myself , but I have a good understanding of networking and what I've seen is that routers are a little like game consoles but with even less reasoning. People tend to support one brand or another with no true conviction or reasoning.

I would love to be a lniksys/Cysco fanboy. I love DDWRT and Tomato but for gaming, if you want to get more than one machine online on the same network flawlessly, Dlink is the way to go, generally. If your linksys or netgear or Buffalo get all your 360s online at the same time flawlessly, then that's great. I've had some routers with DDWRT that worked pretty good, but not nearly as flawlessly as the Dlinks that i've used. I'm not sure if that's a limitation of the firmware or what, but I've browsed the DDWRT forums and not found anything close to a reasonable explanation.

If you do find your solution I would love to hear what it is, I am open for suggestions and criticism.
---
#8_SCOTSLADPosted 9/23/2011 4:53:35 AM(edited)
I have to agree with d-link being good for multiple 360's.

I shelled out 120 for a linksys e3000 it has given me nothing but trouble constant crashing.
Now the problem is/was over heating from a google search found out that the e3000 was prone to this.
Even after a ddwrt & a tomato flash still problems.

Went back to my d-link found the most recent ddwrt update no problems at all.
I even thought my d-link was not an actual dual band apparently it was, it was my isp's piss poor firmware on the router preventing it from running not even sure why.

EDIT: by dual band I mean N & G simultaneous, not 2.5 & 5 ghz.
---
"I just heard a *FUMP* sound, like that of a billion fanboy heads exploding in unison."
#9FustmonkeyPosted 9/23/2011 12:04:49 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#10Jiryn(Topic Creator)Posted 9/23/2011 2:24:35 PM
fustmonkey posted...
If you google any router you'll find complaints. If you look at reviews of routers at places like Amazon and Newegg, often you'll find bogus claims about problems, simply because the people using them don't know what they're doing. Check the dates and the firmware versions of some of those articles too. Getting the latest firmware for routers is a good idea. I'm not claiming to be an expert myself , but I have a good understanding of networking and what I've seen is that routers are a little like game consoles but with even less reasoning. People tend to support one brand or another with no true conviction or reasoning.

I would love to be a lniksys/Cysco fanboy. I love DDWRT and Tomato but for gaming, if you want to get more than one machine online on the same network flawlessly, Dlink is the way to go, generally. If your linksys or netgear or Buffalo get all your 360s online at the same time flawlessly, then that's great. I've had some routers with DDWRT that worked pretty good, but not nearly as flawlessly as the Dlinks that i've used. I'm not sure if that's a limitation of the firmware or what, but I've browsed the DDWRT forums and not found anything close to a reasonable explanation.

If you do find your solution I would love to hear what it is, I am open for suggestions and criticism.

Thank you, no I am talking in the professional market and many of the actual professional reviews bring down the quality of a D-link router and that's why I never bought one. I recently bought the router I am using to get rid of the NAT problem I WAS having before with my previous router.

The most common stuff I've heard was that D-links usually have trouble processing alot of traffic and tend to overheat compared to the competitors. Also, yea the Linksys/Cisco thing might have alots to do with it, I am not a fanboy of routers I just want ones I can trust and that work great. When I was in college working on an NT degree, we were taught that all network equipment should be linksys or "Cisco certified" and well it stuck with me...
---