This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Gears 3 has cheats, unlockables & achieves.

#31PrealienkingPosted 9/23/2011 11:04:56 PM
luvmeluvmydc posted...
in previous generations, the items like that would have been released in the sequel, or would have never been released at all.

no in previous gens lets say...oh i dunno...last gen! the stuff was free.

Unreal champ 2 has free maps, skins and suchlike and never asked for a penny,
other games like...
splinter cell also had free DLC.
crimson skies gave free planes to fly and maps to play on,
the ghost recon series,
Doom 3 had free maps,
the ninja gaiden's DLC was also free, the only reason it was compiled into black was for the people who didnt have their xbox's hooked up.

all these off the top of my head. Dont get me wrong i know the gears stuff is optional on skins but there questions to why the stolen gold disc that was leaked has maps on like rust lung which are no longer there and are now coming as "dlc" or the char skins the bots sometimes use (mech dizzy for eg) arnt accessible. It also doesent help some of the skins in the beta are now being charged for.

Personally MS built the whole of this gen around microtransactions for this very reason and are proberly making good cash for the server space but when its on-disc unlock keys content and stuff thats now known to of been removed imo its making it all harder to swallow.

I'll be honest, when people say "previous gens", I still think of N64 and back, for some odd reason.

Also, for the "it's on the disc" complaint, I understand the complaint, but for me, I'd rather have the dlc saved on extra space on the disc than taking up a section of my hard drive space(haven't had the cha-ching to upgrade my hard drive space and continue buying games I want, so I give the games precedence) for an update just so people can see my camouflage.
---
Currently Working on -
Warning: all posts after Midnight Central Time are a form of natural high that occurs due to lack of sleep.
#32soliunasmPosted 9/24/2011 12:25:13 AM
DyingPancake posted...
soliunasm posted...
Yeah, but it also has on-disk DLC that you have to pay for even though you already own it.

You don't have to pay for anything

TheHood33 posted...
"Yeah, but it also has on-disk DLC that you have to pay for even though you already own it."

Yeah, you don't have to pay for weapon skins. If you do, then more power to you for spending your money how you please.

CapnStanky posted...
soliunasm posted...
Yeah, but it also has on-disk DLC that you have to pay for even though you already own it.

Wait, I HAVE to buy DLC? Holy crap, I've been playing the game illegally because I haven't bought the DLC. Call the cops!

I hope you folks realize that's not the point.

bossk5 posted...
JKSonic posted...
The thing is, despite GoW3 having extras, they also have cheap money grubbing things like GROSSLY overpriced weapon skins..

None of which you are required to purchase to play the game. People will whine about ANYTHING anymore. I am really starting to hate your generation...I really am.

You SHOULD whine about it. They're locking you from content already on the disk. It's the same crap with that Sinclair's Solutions DLC on Bioshock 2. Stuff was on disk and they said they needed everyone to have the content which is why it was on the disk. Absolute BS.
---
John 3:16
XBL/PSN/Steam - soliunasm
#33TheWhoFanPosted 9/24/2011 3:12:11 AM
soliunasm posted...
You SHOULD whine about it. They're locking you from content already on the disk. It's the same crap with that Sinclair's Solutions DLC on Bioshock 2. Stuff was on disk and they said they needed everyone to have the content which is why it was on the disk. Absolute BS.

If that stuff wasn't on the disc, they would release a compatibility patch so you can play against people who have those skins. And they'd be "locking you out of content that was distributed for free on a patch!!!". The thing is, you can complain about anything you want, but as long as purchasing DLC isn't mandatory to play the game, you'll have to deal with it. Or, you know, vote with your wallet and don't even buy the game if you think they are putting out an incomplete product.
#34QuetzocoetlPosted 9/24/2011 5:47:28 AM
The fact that it has unlockables and cheats kinda blows most arguments against the weapon skins out of the water, the biggest arguments suggesting that the skins are for sale in lieu of actual unlockables...now we know that's not true.

"But! they're on the disc! I should have them!"
1. They don't effect gameplay at all
2. You wouldn't have even noticed nor cared if the skins were never revealed.
3. When you pay for Gears 3, (or any game for that matter) you are essentially saying "I agree that the amount of accessible content in this package is worth the money I am paying for it". I.E. When you pay for Gears 3, you are saying that the game minus the skins, is worth $60. You payed for the game knowing that you wouldn't get the skins, so you can't really cry foul.
4. The game is complete, in every sense of the word. It has a full campaign, multiple multiplayer modes, unlockables, easter eggs, cheats and achievements.
5. There is no false advertising, no theft, nothing illegal being done in regards to the weapon skins.

As a side note: There is plenty of free DLC this generation, it's just that now that DLC is more easily accessible and advertised, it's more likely that the devs will try to recoup the cost of creating said DLC. Hell, I'd wager that there is more Free DLC this gen than last.
---
Retribution Boards >retribution.muux.org< -Free Forum, Free Speech.
Gamertag: Quetzocoetl
#35ItzTrag3dyPosted 9/24/2011 5:49:59 AM
TheWhoFan posted...
soliunasm posted...

If that stuff wasn't on the disc, they would release a compatibility patch so you can play against people who have those skins. And they'd be "locking you out of content that was distributed for free on a patch!!!". The thing is, you can complain about anything you want, but as long as purchasing DLC isn't mandatory to play the game, you'll have to deal with it. Or, you know, vote with your wallet and don't even buy the game if you think they are putting out an incomplete product.

Oh wow, you are missing the ENTIRE point. Just stop posting, please.
#36IcedEarthaholicPosted 9/24/2011 6:21:37 AM
While I agree that holding back on-disc content is total BS, Gears 3 still offers a complete experience and is a great game from what I've played. My friends got me Gears 3 so I am not complaining about the price tag, hell, if anything I am waiting for a Game of the Year Edition (which will come eventually) to get all the good stuff.
---
PR Advisor and Co-Founder for United For Tales:
http://www.unitedfortales.org/
#37sonicteam2k1Posted 9/24/2011 7:27:46 AM
Rob_the_Ninja posted...
Sorry to go there, but....Sort of like Uncharted?

sorta like......Unreal Tournament
---
See The Game Collection
http://www.gamespot.com/users/nights_team2k7/games_table?mode=own
#38Zohar_MetatronPosted 9/24/2011 8:05:50 AM
I still look at it like tipping. Nobody whines about putting down an extra few bucks on a meal if they like it, but putting down an extra $3 on a video game if they like it is evil somehow now?

Also yeah, if they were included on-disc nobody would care about them, because Jesus Christ they are just reskins of guns, not actual content. That's like unlocking concept art, you will look at it once and never bother with it again. There is no major loss here.
---
THORG HUNGRY
THORG WANT EAT