This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Connectivity Issue Help

#1ThirtyThr33Posted 9/25/2011 4:20:12 PM(edited)
Alright, here's (I think) all the info I can give that will give you a proper insight to my internet hookup:

Belkin router, highspeed internet. I connect wirelessly to my router via the one-pronged Microsoft brand internet adapter. I get 4-5 bars, as do the household's laptops. Connecting to the router via ethernet cable is out of the question, as it is too far away (when it wasn't too far away, the problem was still apparent). Connecting to my laptop via ethernet cable and piggybacking is also out of the question, because I did that for a few months and it was awful. My NAT type is Open. Here's my problem: My XBL gets disconnected in between ten minute intervals (it varies on time, but ten minutes tends to be the longest amount of time it stays connected). It connects right back to XBL when I tell it to, but I'm already kicked out of my game/Netflix by that point. Going to dashboard also reconnects me for some reason. This is terribly frustrating, and if anyone can offer some insight as to what I could do to fix this it would be much appreciated.

I've also ruled out a few things:
- It's not the wireless adapter. I gave mine to my g/f, and she gave me her two-pronged adapter (the black one). Mine worked fine for her, and hers worked slightly better for me but not by much.
- It's not the console. I took it over to her house, used both adapters, and it worked just fine.
#2ThirtyThr33(Topic Creator)Posted 9/25/2011 4:42:44 PM
Idiot fanboys with their console war debates pushed this topic down. I would seriously appreciate some help from somebody, this ridiculousness is making online play impossible.
#3GobizkuPosted 9/25/2011 4:45:24 PM
Test a direct connection to determine if it's the router or ISP causing the issue.
---
"Chaos Is Not Entropy...Chaos Is Continual Creation." -Praxis
Preparation For A Coming Darkness
#4ThirtyThr33(Topic Creator)Posted 9/25/2011 4:50:57 PM
GoBiZkU posted...
Test a direct connection to determine if it's the router or ISP causing the issue.

I'm not sure how to do that. Whenever I test the connection from the dashboard, it says that there is no problem.
#5GobizkuPosted 9/25/2011 5:04:31 PM
Do a direct connection and play around for an hour. If you don't disconnect, you know it's the router causing the issue. If you do disconnect, then you'd want to see if you're getting any kind of packet loss with your ISP and go from there.
---
"Chaos Is Not Entropy...Chaos Is Continual Creation." -Praxis
Preparation For A Coming Darkness
#6ThirtyThr33(Topic Creator)Posted 9/25/2011 5:09:17 PM
GoBiZkU posted...
Do a direct connection and play around for an hour. If you don't disconnect, you know it's the router causing the issue. If you do disconnect, then you'd want to see if you're getting any kind of packet loss with your ISP and go from there.

Oh okay, thank you. I won't be able to get around testing a direct connection until tomorrow, but I'll report back here with my results if you (or anyone, for that matter) would still be interested. It is good to see that there are still helpful people out here.
#7FustmonkeyPosted 9/25/2011 5:19:39 PM
Do you have DSL? If you have DSL and a separate modem and router the router should be in PPPoE mode, the modem should be in bridged mode. Then I would start forwarding ports.

There's a guide in my sig to help with some of that.
---
Fix your NAT: http://www.freewebs.com/haximo/ports.htm