This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

saving music to 360

#1DarkTyrantXPosted 9/26/2011 5:58:23 PM
Is the only way to save music on the hdd by ripping the cd on the hdd like the old xbox?
#2MestizoFreakPosted 9/26/2011 6:25:57 PM
Yes. To play music from the HDD, it needs to be ripped. Thankfully, I believe you can rip burnt CDs. You can even stream music from MP3 players or computers on your network, though this is completely pointless.
#3xChaos001Posted 9/26/2011 6:29:36 PM
You can even stream music from MP3 players or computers on your network, though this is completely pointless.

How so? I'm not ripping CDs to my Xbox to conserve space, let alone do i even own any CDs anymore. I also have two computers, one is a laptop in the bedroom, one is a desktop in living room. The music I have streams from the desktop in the living room to the xbox in the bedroom. Makes it much easier when listening to music on my xbox than burning cds.
---
http://bfbcs.com/stats_360/NuclearPizza
http://www.xboxlc.com/cards/sig/black/NuclearPizza.jpg
#4HulkxxSMASHPosted 9/26/2011 9:52:40 PM
I agree - streaming is better. Not only does it save HDD space but it's actually quicker than if the 360 tries to read an MP3 player or USB stick with tons of tracks.
---
Hulk is strongest one there is... Hulk is... only one there is... only one... there... is... Hulk feels... cold
#5CapwnDPosted 9/26/2011 9:55:01 PM

Yes. To play music from the HDD, it needs to be ripped. Thankfully, I believe you can rip burnt CDs. You can even stream music from MP3 players or computers on your network, though this is completely pointless.

huh?

It's almost completely pointless on the PS3 because you can't use it as custom soundtracks unless it's physically on the HDD, but how in the world is it pointless? Who wants redundant files?
---
As Above, So Below
#6CapwnDPosted 9/26/2011 9:56:01 PM

I agree - streaming is better. Not only does it save HDD space but it's actually quicker than if the 360 tries to read an MP3 player or USB stick with tons of tracks.

That also depends on what your'e streaming, and what you're using to stream. If you have a lot of high bandwidth files, it takes forever if you stream through windows. On something like TVersity or AirMusic it's much faster.
---
As Above, So Below
#7HulkxxSMASHPosted 9/26/2011 10:02:47 PM
CaPwnD posted...
That also depends on what your'e streaming, and what you're using to stream. If you have a lot of high bandwidth files, it takes forever if you stream through windows. On something like TVersity or AirMusic it's much faster.

I stream with windows and it's virtually instantaneous for me and all my MP3 files are set at the highest quality available except for a few larger WMA files at normal quality.
---
Hulk is strongest one there is... Hulk is... only one there is... only one... there... is... Hulk feels... cold
#8TerantatekPosted 9/27/2011 12:05:53 AM(edited)
I've got about 200songs on my HD. Will have more once my GnR:Appetite for Destruction arrives from amazon. After that ill probably get an older KoRn album.
---
"Dude, I can't feel my legs. Are they there?"
Love, Peace, 4:20-14/7. Living in Euphoria
#9CapwnDPosted 9/27/2011 2:47:34 AM(edited)

CaPwnD posted...

I stream with windows and it's virtually instantaneous for me and all my MP3 files are set at the highest quality available except for a few larger WMA files at normal quality.

My music folder is 275gb and has a bunch of FLAC files. Most of the MP3s are 320kbs. It's slow for me. And I know my computer isn't the problem:

Intel i7 3.2GHz quad core
12gb RAM
160gb SSD boot drive
other drives are RAID 0
Radeon 6970
windwos 7 64bit

It's certainly fast enough. When I stream with TVersity the music shows up immediately. But since I do have a large library, I dont' want access to all that music at once anyways, so what I usually use to stream music is AirMusic, which is an app for the Iphone or Ipod Touch. It streams your Iphone/Ipod Touch music wirelessly from the phone or Ipod, and since it's only the music on my ipod it's exactly the library of music that I want. So it's much easier to navagate through.
---
As Above, So Below
#10HulkxxSMASHPosted 9/27/2011 8:16:02 AM
Not going to quote your post CaPwnD, but I think that I can see why mines is working so much faster. The PC in my house is nowhere near those specs, in fact I think it's only rocking like an 80HDD or something.

I don't pay much attention to it and I rarely use it. I spend all day in front of a computer at work so I rarely go near it since it's purchase YEARS ago now.

Smaller HDD + far smaller library of music = instantaneous on windows. Anything near what you have an it probably would be advantageous to use a dedicated program.
---