This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

if you are really good at fighting games then....

#1whatsup9oPosted 9/30/2011 4:50:47 PM
HOW lol
i was wondering when u guys get a new fighting game how do u train and get good, training mode, online, single player?and what do you do in what ever mode that makes you better? i got 3rd strike and its fun but i get beat up so hard it gets hard to stay in the game.
thanks for all the help
---
GT:camaro91
#2ColoredpencilsPosted 9/30/2011 5:11:55 PM
Just do some matches with all the characters, pick a few you like and hit training mode, learn moves and figure out your own combos with those. There's really nothing to it.
#3RycerXPosted 9/30/2011 5:37:44 PM(edited)
Half of it is just pounding the game into your muscle memory, you practice and practice until reading your opponent and chaining combos becomes as easy as it is to draw breath. If you listen to interviews with tournament competitors, all of them put in hours of practice consistently every day, some even as many as 8-10, it's nuts. But many of them do make money off of it, so in essence they treat it like a part-time job.

Then there's that second level, that "ume level" shall we say, which is characterized by guys that were just simply born to play fighting games. They put in just as much practice as everybody else, but they're also gifted in some way, their brains are at one with the way the game works.
#4knightimexPosted 9/30/2011 5:49:44 PM
Here are some easy steps to get better at fighting game X.

DON'T start with games like marvel vs Capcom 3,Blaz blue, Sf3: third strike.

Start with something closer to old school.
Super Street fighter 2 turbo, Soul Calibur 4, Street fighter 4, MK9 would work

You CAN use those games but the training level is just extended

Like what Coloredpencils said try out all of the fighters in like practice mode and check out all of their moves
if you find a character you like the most then it's time to start focus training.

Learn which attacks hit High medium and low.
What attacks can easily connect with another attack that also keeps you moderately safe for the moment.

Learn how to play psyche out. it's a whiff technique used to trick your opponent to react to a fake attack then learn attacks that can take advantage of the other guy opening him self up.

Then learn how your opponent attacks so that you can know when to attack and how to block.
it's all about practice and lots of timing.
---
I hate to admit it, but I'm a graphics whore in denial.
#5AsucaHayashiPosted 9/30/2011 6:13:46 PM
most beginners make the mistake of not having the patience in finding a main and sticking with him/her and learning the game through that character and how they match up with every other character in the game.

doing that essentially forces you to learn the other characters' moves from a defensive point of view so you can properly react and counter them.

so the steps to becoming somewhat proficient in any given fighter:

-learn the basics of the game... combo, defense and offensive systems as well as universal moves and situations that apply to all characters(hence the word universal like the parry system in 3s).

-find a main and stick with them no matter what until you've learned all their moves, combos and what to use and what not to use including specific techniques that benefit some characters more than others like kara throw(look it up) etc.

-look up videos of pros playing that character making sure you can identify every move they use in different situations and apply it to your own game.

-play against other players... computer AI is garbage for simulating real life competition regardless of difficulty.

online is a decent substitute for getting to grips with the game against human players, but there's simply no alternative to local matches if you want to take it to the next level because of lag(regardless if you notice it or not).

special mention regarding the 360 version: get a proper controller if you're playing on the regular 360 controller... either a stick or a fightpad(with 6 buttons lined up and a d-pad that isn't garbage).
---
''PC/360 titles are Microsoft exclusive meaning not on Apple or Linux, meaning the people who own Windows own 360 which still makes it exclusive''. ~Phamous1
#6knightimexPosted 9/30/2011 7:14:34 PM
What ever you do don't get mad.
Learn from your defeats.

Play the computer on hard. Even if it whoops your ass try doing various tactics to see how the cpu reacts.
This can reflect in real life battles with other players.

Just get some lube at take your first poundings as a learning experience.
Soon you'll be the one pounding like a boss.

and then you'll know you are doing good because you'll start to get rage mail.

I've been called a turbo cheating scrub in street fighter because (to them) I am pulling off super natural hundred hand slaps when in reality I am just beast at pressing a button really fast.

*shrugs*
---
I hate to admit it, but I'm a graphics whore in denial.
#7MR_SorenPosted 9/30/2011 7:32:53 PM
Practice.

I find I do best if I get good with one character and then branch out a bit.

Don't put too much emphasis on special moves. Learn the basic moves and one or two special moves and when to use them. Like which attack do you use when somebody is jumping at you? What do you use to break out of a corner? That is the important stuff. Take a classic like Street Fighter 2 for example. If you learn Ryu's basic moves and can do a Hadoken on demand, you can put up a good fight. The other moves have their uses, but you can perfect them later.

Also, I disagree with Knighttimex. You can start with BlazBlue if you want. In fact, I would encourage it. The game has more depth to it than a lot of others, but you can still have tons of fun playing it with people of a similar skill level. It will also take you longer to master everything.

I'd avoid 3D stuff like Soul Calibur. Anybody who's serious about the genre is playing 2D fighting games. Guilty Gear, Blaz Blue, Street Fighter, King of Fighters, etc.
---
My Collection:
http://club.ign.com/b/list/custom?&lid=100018&owner=rcarello&mode=vown
#8shagadelicPosted 9/30/2011 8:02:13 PM
Training mode first to learn the moves and basic combos.

Then single player just to get a feel for how the character plays against something other than a stationary training dummy.

Then I go online and usually get my ass beat for the first couple of days. After a bunch of losses you start figuring out what works and what doesn't against a real opponent.

Once I've actually started playing the character then I start watch youtube videos of advanced players and tutorials on advanced tactics.
#9kungfuj0Posted 9/30/2011 9:23:20 PM
One thing I found that always seems to help me with fighting games these days is this. Most fighters on 360 have an achievement where, if you beat the game's arcade mode with all the fighters, you get an achievement. Now the achievement itself isn't important. What is is all the practice you get with each fighter in the game. You'll learn a little bit about what that fighter can do and what he/she can't do, and who's good against him/her and who isn't. It just helps to give you a good, well-rounded knowledge of the game and its characters.

From there, its like the others said...remember who you liked and didn't like when you went through arcade mode. Take one of the ones you like and practice with him/her. Get yourself to the point where you don't have to think about their moves...you KNOW their moves! If you can do that with just one person, you'll have already done enough to get yourself more than a .500 record in that particular game.

From there, its just a matter of playing against other people, or if you are going to play against AI, play it on the hardest level. AI tends to cheat and read inputs and such on harder levels, so if you get to where you can beat it anyway, you're probably pretty damn good already. No matter how hard the AI is, though, it is ultimately predictable, so you want to go against people whenever possible. No matter how good or bad they may be, people are more unpredictable, and will give you a better challenge more often than not.
---
Kungfuj0
#10Master XPosted 10/1/2011 6:00:06 AM
One thing though, you need to keep your mind interested in it. If you're bored with the game, it makes it hard for your mind to learn/improve if you're not really into it.
---
GAMERTAG: Casperstar X"For those of you wondering whether the above made sense, you've just answered your own question. "