The message you selected is no longer available for viewing.

This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

what does installing a game do?

#1fridge_lordPosted 10/1/2011 6:50:22 AM
topic
---
this post was also made in china.
#2Blitzoff1987Posted 10/1/2011 6:51:40 AM
Shorten load times and less wear and tear.
---
PSN: Ridderbanaan
#3Link43130Posted 10/1/2011 6:52:17 AM
---
Steam/XBL/PSN: Link43130
#4DXiRoNMaNPosted 10/1/2011 6:52:35 AM
it makes the grafix better
---
XBL- DXiRoNMaN PSN- DXiRoNMaN WiiFC- 7177 5213 2278 2695
"I'm like the only smartest one on this board with like 5 other people." - some moron
#5JKSonicPosted 10/1/2011 6:54:20 AM
Loads the data off your hard drive and not the disc...effectively prolonging the life of your disc drive and lessening the noise it makes while loading.

Also, many games end up with faster load times and some games even have an improved framerate (like Oblivion and Fallout 3).
---
"You shouldn't be asking HOW things are, given that we already know there is something..but rather WHY things are, as opposed to there being nothing."
#6fridge_lord(Topic Creator)Posted 10/1/2011 6:54:38 AM
reply to a reply
---
this post was also made in china.
#7JGA1980Posted 10/1/2011 6:59:30 AM
Installing a game copies an image of the game disc to your hard drive, then when you play an installed game it reads all the data from your hard drive, rather than the game disc.

This is beneficial because the X-Box can read data quicker and load data into the memory quicker from the hard drive than it can stream data from the optical disc, which decreases loading times and reduces 'pop-in' (where textures and objects suddenly appear, often because they can't be loaded quick enough), plus without having to spin the disc and stream the data, there is less wear and tear on the disc drive and less heat generated due to less moving parts.
#8jayj420Posted 10/1/2011 7:04:31 AM
Lol @ people who think that installing a game will "improve the life of your disk drive."

Installing doesn't do anything besides improving load times, as well as frame rates for some of the most graphically and physically intense games out there. Basically, unless you're playing a big game that really takes full use of the 360's hardware, don't worry about installing.
#9Santo3485Posted 10/1/2011 7:07:55 AM
I install games I know I will spend hundreds of hours in. Games such as Fallout 3 and New Vegas.
---
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
#10JKSonicPosted 10/1/2011 7:18:35 AM
jayj420 posted...
Lol @ people who think that installing a game will "improve the life of your disk drive."

Installing doesn't do anything besides improving load times, as well as frame rates for some of the most graphically and physically intense games out there. Basically, unless you're playing a big game that really takes full use of the 360's hardware, don't worry about installing.

Explain to me, please if you will, how drastically cutting back on how much you use your disc drive will not increase it's life... I had two disc drives fail on original XBox's and another on a 360, so I (as well as logic) would beg to differ.

Not only does it potentially extend disc drive life, but it also can extend the life of your 360 in general if you have an older model since it also cuts down on heat generated...
---
"You shouldn't be asking HOW things are, given that we already know there is something..but rather WHY things are, as opposed to there being nothing."