This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Apparently my account was compromised.

#1icyzypherPosted 10/3/2011 3:51:03 PM
Long story short, I was at work and got a call from my brother, said my account was logged into xbox playing a game I don't even own.

Now the thing is, the e-mail I used to make the account is the only thing the e-mail was ever used for. I haven't checked that e-mail since I made the account.

I called microsoft obviously and they said they'd "watch" the account for suspicious activity. Even though I told them I didn't own the game that it was playing. They refused to do anything but "watch" the account.

So two questions, 1. How would this happen? The e-mail was used once for the xbox account and that was it. 2. Is there any way I can get them to do more than "watch" account because I cannot access it at all. Through xbox.com or anything.

I had no credit cards on there so that's a good thing but still how is what I want to know.
#2CapnStankyPosted 10/3/2011 3:56:37 PM
They're targeting New Users at Gamefaqs. It's a conspiracy!
#3GobizkuPosted 10/3/2011 4:50:33 PM
If you answered all the questions they asked and informed them the account was stolen, they have to file an unauthorized investigation. There is no such thing as "watching" it.

It's either locked down for investigation or not. I suggest calling back and talking to someone who knows what to do when you tell them the account was stolen.
---
"Chaos Is Not Entropy...Chaos Is Continual Creation." -Praxis
Preparation For A Coming Darkness
#4Dragon NexusPosted 10/3/2011 7:35:28 PM
Got an EA account? That seems to be a common theory recently.
---
"I don't know, it's an impossible choice...I just have to hope that when I flip the coin it somehow explodes and kills me."
#5icyzypher(Topic Creator)Posted 10/3/2011 8:16:59 PM
Dragon Nexus posted...
Got an EA account? That seems to be a common theory recently.

Yeah I do have an EA account but the only thing is, I used a different e-mail for it, another one I made just for that, so I don't see how they can be linked other than by the fact its my xbox gamertag tied to the EA account.

As for the "watch" status, I talked to someone higher up, and is and I quote "What the lower reps are told to tell people when their account is being investigated for suspicious activity."

Does anyone know the turn around time from the investigation about when or if I'll get my account back?
#6DuwstaiPosted 10/3/2011 8:26:42 PM
25 days (not including weekends).

Youll probably get your account back after that.
---
XBL: eL Sm3gmA ::: PSN: Smegtico
"so continue to not care, while a bunch of fat pre teen kids teabag you"- shrub999
#7GobizkuPosted 10/3/2011 9:49:56 PM
icyzypher posted...
As for the "watch" status, I talked to someone higher up, and is and I quote "What the lower reps are told to tell people when their account is being investigated for suspicious activity."

Does anyone know the turn around time from the investigation about when or if I'll get my account back?

No, reps are not told to tell people it's being "watched," they're supposed to file an unauthorized investigation and inform you the account is locked down to prevent any fraud charges while the account is being investigated. It's either being investigated fully or they're doing nothing, there is no middle ground.

Let me ask you, did they ask you a series of questions that took around 10 minutes, including the console serial number and console id number? Did they give YOU a service request number for the case/call?

Though in your case if the WLID wasn't changed and there was no fraud charges, they should've just had you do a password reset and recover the account.
---
"Chaos Is Not Entropy...Chaos Is Continual Creation." -Praxis
Preparation For A Coming Darkness
#8_S0FTButtCheeksPosted 10/3/2011 10:22:10 PM

They're targeting New Users at Gamefaqs. It's a conspiracy!

You're such a little paranoid fanboy huh?
---
Don't be shy, go ahead & touch. They're soft =]
Broncos > poop > your favorite team
#9icyzypher(Topic Creator)Posted 10/4/2011 8:10:44 AM
GoBiZkU posted...
icyzypher posted...

No, reps are not told to tell people it's being "watched," they're supposed to file an unauthorized investigation and inform you the account is locked down to prevent any fraud charges while the account is being investigated. It's either being investigated fully or they're doing nothing, there is no middle ground.

Let me ask you, did they ask you a series of questions that took around 10 minutes, including the console serial number and console id number? Did they give YOU a service request number for the case/call?

Though in your case if the WLID wasn't changed and there was no fraud charges, they should've just had you do a password reset and recover the account.

The first person I spoke to who told me the account was being watched only asked me three questions.

The higher up who told me that's what the lower reps would tell me asked me I don't about 20 or 30 questions about my account. Yes that included the console serial and ID number. Yes they did give me a number for the case.
#10drinkPosted 10/4/2011 8:14:48 AM
Someones is cheating on you with someone that plays games you don't own!!!
---
You didn't try google, you made that up...
Twist those dirty bags - Shake