This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Can't Connect to Parties. I have an OPEN NAT

#1PoqoPosted 10/6/2011 5:26:00 PM
I just switched my router to an Actiontec V1000H. I originally had my NAT type as moderate before i portforwarded and it's now open. But I'm unable to connect to parties. Someone help me out?
#2FustmonkeyPosted 10/7/2011 8:05:13 AM
First, do you have DSL? if you have DSL the router should be in PPPoE mode and you may have to put the modem into bridged mode. You may have to contact your ISP for help with that.

When you did port forwarding, did you make static IP addresses? That may be the problem.

I can't find a manual for that router, but you should see if you can reserve the IP address instead. It should be in the same place where you see settings for DHCP. If you don't have the option of reserving the IP address, then that is even more of a sign that you may not want to make the IP address manually on the 360. Instead, turn up the lease time in the DHCP settings so that the 360 continues to get the same IP address for a long time. Then just check occasionally that the 360 is still getting that same IP address and that you are forwarding to that address.
---
Fix your NAT: http://www.freewebs.com/haximo/ports.htm
#3TwinmoldPosted 10/7/2011 9:00:30 AM
The first question that you should be asking is: do the people you're trying to connect to have an open NAT?
---
"When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained." - Mark Twain Live GT - Cpt Decaf
#4FustmonkeyPosted 10/7/2011 9:20:44 AM

The first question that you should be asking is: do the people you're trying to connect to have an open NAT?

Well... yeah that too... but I would first look at my own network.
---
#5JtBlazePosted 10/7/2011 9:58:58 AM
Twinmold posted...

Sort of irrelevant, unless he's incapable of ever having an Open nat, because if it was truly Open he'd have no trouble connecting.
#6TwinmoldPosted 10/7/2011 10:03:12 AM

Always a good place to start, but if his problem is connecting to particular people, such as friends, then before he goes through that extensive process you described, I would ask about their networks.

because if it was truly Open he'd have no trouble connecting.

Unless the person he's connecting to has a closed or moderate NAT....
---
"When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained." - Mark Twain Live GT - Cpt Decaf
#7JtBlazePosted 10/7/2011 10:06:06 AM(edited)
Twinmold posted...

Always a good place to start, but if his problem is connecting to particular people, such as friends, then before he goes through that extensive process you described, I would ask about their networks.

because if it was truly Open he'd have no trouble connecting.

Unless the person he's connecting to has a closed or moderate NAT....

Um, no. Open NATs can play with everybody.
For instance, scroll down this page http://mktplassets.xbox.com/NR/exeres/F889BD54-0AF3-4E63-8C14-35CDFD175145.htm There is a NAT chart.

Here's a link that offers solutions to double NAT problems. http://www.inmethod.com/forum/posts/list/908.page
#8TwinmoldPosted 10/7/2011 10:06:27 AM
Um, no. Open NATs can play with everybody.

Lmao! Dude, a NAT is a two way street. One router connecting to another. Just because the door at my house is unlocked and my friend can come in, doesn't mean I can go into his locked house.
---
#9FustmonkeyPosted 10/7/2011 10:26:06 AM(edited)
I don't pay too much attention to the whole "open, moderate, strict" thing.

You can have an "open" NAT and still have problems. If it tests as moderate or strict it's more of a sure sign that something is wrong. But testing as "open" isn't a sure sign that nothing is wrong.

The whole "open can play with anybody, moderate with only open or moderate" thing may have some truth but I wouldn't use it as gospel.

I like the suggestions in that link, I have much of that in the guide in my sig too... But I'm more of the type that would say that a router should be used as the router, and that the modem should be bridged. Modem/router combos are often crap, so I would rather see the modem in bridged mode or traded in for a regular modem rather than turning the router into a switch/wireless access point..

But the double NAT phenomenon is definitely where I like to start... you can froward ports and it may fix the problem for that computer or console, but it's not fixing the real problem. Usually the problem is that if somebody has DSL they don't have the router in PPPoE mode and the modem bridged. Or, they have a modem/router combo.
---