This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

One of my problmes with DLC: Saint's Row 2...

#1kungfuj0Posted 10/6/2011 8:55:32 PM
So...I'm kinda in one of those mini-ruts where I'm tired of playing my old games, and I'm waiting on the new games to come out. So I figure I'll get another run of SR2 in on my 360. I load the game up, and I remember that they put out some DLC for the game that I never got. So I go to their DLC thing and take a look. I was actually thinking of getting 2 of them until I saw their prices.

One was still $7, and the other was a full $10, both their original prices. Now the game tiself is THREE years old, and the DLC itself is a TWO years old, and yet the prices are still the exact same as they were on release day. WTF kind of unadulterated bull**** is that???

EVERY GAME, even AAA titles go down in price over time, so why doesn't DLC? I mean seriously, I can buy both SR1 AND SR2..FULL GAMES for the same price as 2 DLC's. Again I ask just what the hell kind of bull**** is that??? I mean seriously, what are these people smoking that makes them arrogant enough to think that people will fall for **** like this?

I love the SR series and all, and I can't wait for 3, but in all honesty, whoever it is that sets these prices, whether its MS or whoever else, they can kiss my ass for this ****, because I ain't havin' it. If this is the kind of thing that DLC is supposed to stand for, then I hope it gets crushed right along with the jackasses on Wall Street.

/rant
---
Kungfuj0
#2kickyourass2112Posted 10/6/2011 9:50:47 PM
It's funny you bring up SR2 DLC, because it's on sale next week.

-Saints Row 2: Corporate Warfare - 280 Microsoft Points
-Saints Row 2: Ultor Exposed - 400 Microsoft Points

I've been waiting for it to go on sale forever and will finally get it next week. Can't wait for it. But I get what you are saying about DLC. Some games do have DLCthat drops and eventually goes free, but why are there still paid maps for, say, Perfect Dark Zero? Or games like Stranglehold? There is a ton of DLC that needs to just go free.
---
"I am too cool for the Second Grade!" -LJU
#3JimilliganPosted 10/6/2011 11:38:09 PM
kickyourass2112 posted...
It's funny you bring up SR2 DLC, because it's on sale next week.

-Saints Row 2: Corporate Warfare - 280 Microsoft Points
-Saints Row 2: Ultor Exposed - 400 Microsoft Points

I've been waiting for it to go on sale forever and will finally get it next week. Can't wait for it. But I get what you are saying about DLC. Some games do have DLCthat drops and eventually goes free, but why are there still paid maps for, say, Perfect Dark Zero? Or games like Stranglehold? There is a ton of DLC that needs to just go free.

Thanks for the info! I've also been waiting for that DLC to go on sale. Like TC said i'm not sure who is in charge of the DLC prices but they really should go down. Like Crackdown 1 DLC is still 10 bucks. The actual game prices go down and DLC should follow. I would think the devs would want people to play their creation at some point.
---
So say we all
#4kungfuj0(Topic Creator)Posted 10/7/2011 1:15:42 AM
Thanks for the info, kickyourass2112. I appreciate it.

Point is though that this stuff is 2 years old. The 400/280 prices should be what it is NOW, and the sale pirces even lower! Again, its TWO YEARS OLD!!! If you can buy the WHOLE GAME for less than the cost of the DLC, then its time to lower the cost of the DLC!

Common sense FTW!

And I dunno if I'll get the DLC even with the sale. Had it been 400/280 when I was looking the other night, I might have bought it on the spot. But for me, its not just about the price, its about the principle of the thing. Plus Forza will be out next week, which means I'll have something better to kill time with!

Somebody should really tell MS that more marketplace stuff in general (not just DLC) would move faster if they lowered the prices on the stuff after a while. If something's been up a year or sales of it has slowed significantly, cut the price in half. If its been out 2 years, cut the price in half again. Keep doing that. It's guaranteed profits, because at some point, once a DLC or marketplace item has sold enough, all sales past that are profit anyway, so why not cut the customer a break on that stuff, espcially if its been out a while or if sales have slowed. I don't have a business degree or anything, but that just seems like smart business to me.
---
Kungfuj0
#5WinternovaPosted 10/7/2011 1:18:47 AM

Point is though that this stuff is 2 years old. The 400/280 prices should be what it is NOW, and the sale pirces even lower! Again, its TWO YEARS OLD!!! If you can buy the WHOLE GAME for less than the cost of the DLC, then its time to lower the cost of the DLC!

Common sense FTW!

Actually, common sense would dictate that the DLC would remain at the higher price, allowing for a decent stream of revenue from used game and bargain bin sales.

I don't see a single reason why it "should be" 400/280 now and the sales prices lower - you're not entitled to the DLC at a lower price and there's no imperative for the publisher to reduce the price.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMKUUUvjjzo
Fan of: Steelers(AFC Champs), Red Wings(Central Champs)
#6kungfuj0(Topic Creator)Posted 10/7/2011 1:35:47 AM(edited)
Can you SERIOUSLY not understand that it is WRONG that I can buy a WHOLE DAMN GAME for LOWER than I can buy a couple of DLC's? SERIOUSLY????

In fact, I can buy TWO whole damn games for less than that. It is down right shameful, man, and if you can't see or understand that, then you are as ****ed up in the head as the people behind this mess are.
---
Kungfuj0
#7vigorm0rtisPosted 10/7/2011 1:32:23 AM
There are a lot of reasons product at a store goes down in price, but the primary one is that it's old, isn't moving, and it's taking up shelf space. This isn't the case with digital product.
---
Everything's better with zombies. Except pie.
#8kungfuj0(Topic Creator)Posted 10/7/2011 1:34:54 AM
http://www.ebgames.com/xbox-360/games/saints-row-special-edition-2-pack/92456

That is for the SR 2 pack. $19.99 new at ebgames.com

And I can get them for less than that on ebay if I wanted. Yet you think its perfectly ok for MS to charge me $17 for 2 year old DLC when you can get 2 whole games for about the same price. WTF kind of idiotic logic is that, man???

I know what kind it is. It's the kind that will result in a NO SALE
EVERY...SINGLE...TIME!!!
---
Kungfuj0
#9vigorm0rtisPosted 10/7/2011 1:37:36 AM
Legit or not, it's the way it is. They don't have to produce and store units, so there's no pressing need to lower the price to move them. Get used to it. People who are in favor of digital distribution never seem to think about this.
---
Everything's better with zombies. Except pie.
#10kungfuj0(Topic Creator)Posted 10/7/2011 1:38:29 AM
@vigorm0rtis

All I can say to that is if this is the kind of thing that they are going to be doing if/when this whole gaming thing goes all digital, then that will, indeed, be the thing that makes me put down my controller for good, because I won't stand for it.
---
Kungfuj0