This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

About Dark Souls...

#1LeftWid3OpenPosted 10/8/2011 6:05:11 PM
Are you expected to be an amazingly skilled gamer in order to make progress? Planned on getting in but a little hesitant, which is unfortunate because it sounds amazing. I don't consider myself bad at anything BTW, just not phenomenal either. Thanks
#2darkharePosted 10/8/2011 6:31:55 PM
the games really not that hard, you just have to observe your surroundings, pay attention to how the enemies attack and not rush blindly into situations. honestly this games my goty, if your truly on the fence about the game though i would say rent it.
---
all 360 games should have a demo. lets put revieweres out of business.
#3Shy420Posted 10/8/2011 6:36:32 PM
LeftWid3Open posted...
Are you expected to be an amazingly skilled gamer in order to make progress? Planned on getting in but a little hesitant, which is unfortunate because it sounds amazing. I don't consider myself bad at anything BTW, just not phenomenal either. Thanks

Don't fall in to the hype machine. The games difficulty comes directly from you being a new player. If you take your time, play smart, and pay attention you'll soon understand why people are having a difficult time. It's because some run in to the fight swinging away. The game just doesn't like that and you get killed.

I would suggest you spend less money and pick up Demon's Souls they play nearly the same. Get it used and if you're digging on the game then return it and pick up Dark Souls.
---
"Things aren't different. Things are just things." -Wintermute
#4CapnStankyPosted 10/8/2011 7:53:14 PM
After playing it now for 15 - 20 hours, it has many of the same huge flaws that Demon's Souls had. It's still best to wear as lightweight gear as possible, and simply reinforce it. The menu systems and UI are complete and total garbage, and boss fights are so damn cheeseable and broken that it's once again a joke. The big fire breathing dragon just all of a sudden fell down on his own and I got 10k souls. The Bell Gargoyle fell off his roof, awarding me the win without having to hit him more than once. Kinda wish they'd hire someone competent at UI desing, and also hire a lot more testers.
#5GingivitisLegPosted 10/8/2011 7:55:20 PM
Most importantly does it have a ice spell? A spell that can freeze an enemy?
---
I'm never gonna dance again
Guilty feet have got no rhythm
#6Dragon NexusPosted 10/8/2011 8:00:32 PM
Ignore CapnStanky he has a bug up his butt about this game for some reason.

It's not like Ninja Gaiden where you need twitch reflexes and predictive capabilities.
It's more about observation, pattern recognition and patience.

If you run into a situation blindly, you're likely to get ambushed and killed quickly. If you take your time, look ahead and stay prepared then you'll find it's a deeply atmospheric and tense game.

I haven't gone too far yet. I beat the first major boss (No spoilers, don't worry) after a dozen attempts (it was stupidly easy once I figured out how. Trial and error, dontcha know.) and after the 10 seconds of "YES! YES! DIE YOU B******!" I suddenly had a horrible realisation. The part before him was so easy...because I'd died so often that I'd memorised every inch of it. NOW I was in an area that was all new with fresh things to kill me, and I had no idea where the nearest bonfire was. And then I got killed again and had to hoof it all the way back.

It's a rare game that makes Death feel somewhat enjoyable in a way. Means you can take a leisurely stroll back, killing things and getting souls while you work out what you could have done better.
---
"I don't know, it's an impossible choice...I just have to hope that when I flip the coin it somehow explodes and kills me."
#7DuwstaiPosted 10/9/2011 1:48:40 AM
As long as you are competent, are able to pick up on patterns, use common sense, and play cautiously.. I say go for it.

... As long as you dont get frustrated when dying a lot. Because you will at first.
---
XBL: eL Sm3gmA ::: PSN: Smegtico
"so continue to not care, while a bunch of fat pre teen kids teabag you"- shrub999
#8SubSeenixPosted 10/9/2011 4:38:41 AM
Dont expect it to be like Call of Duty or something like that where you can run around like a kid,hit/shoot stuff and win at the end.

You have to take your time and accept that you will die a lot.
Everyone will die a lot - Its Try and Error at its best....You go > die > know there is something > next time you can kill it/do it better than last time

Every new step you can take without dying is like an achievement in this game and you get every $ you spent back
#9Logical_OnePosted 10/9/2011 7:14:25 AM
The only struggle you should have is repeating entire sections if you die right before a boss (I swear the difficulty in this game is so exaggerated).

Also, for those that keep saying what stanky is saying is inaccurate, I say--DS apologists. EVERYTHING he says is accurate. You want to tell me it's my own fault when I die--it's also my own ingenuity when I find a way to cheese the boss no? I still remember standing on a tower in DS (Demon not Dark) and shooting Soul Arrow and regular arrows at the dragon for 10 minutes--he died. You say cheap--I say smart. DS is that kind of game--right?
#10CapnStankyPosted 10/9/2011 7:24:02 AM
Dragon Nexus posted...
Ignore CapnStanky he has a bug up his butt about this game for some reason.

Refute anything I said.