This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

how important is refresh rate on TV's for gaming?

#1Aragorn428777Posted 10/10/2011 1:08:50 PM
Looking at the 32" LG 1080p 60hz LCD at Best Buy for $400. My old 37" Vizio that i got for graduation 4 years ago had great picture quality and it was only 720p and 60hz too.

Just curious. I mean, should I even buy a 1080p LCD if all i
ll be doing is streaming Netflix and gaming? Actual TV channels won't be happening that much, and Bluray? Forget about it.
---
GT: Br00talChives
Playing: Homefront, Dragon Age 2 Will Get Around To: RDR, Crysis 2, finishing DS2
#2MNSpectrePosted 10/10/2011 1:16:03 PM
That actually seems kind of pricey for a low-mid range 32" TV.

I'd wait for the November sales. Last year a couple friends picked up 40" TVs with the same specs for $400 from Best Buy around the same time of year. They were the house brand though, Dynex. A year later and no issues with either one so far.

As to high refresh rates, you're going to get different opinions. Personally, I don't like the way 120hz looks with movies, and it kind of makes my head feel funny in FPS games. Watching sports looks great though.
#3Aragorn428777(Topic Creator)Posted 10/10/2011 1:21:29 PM
Yea i agree with 120hz....makes HD tv shows and some movies look like they're being filmed right in front of your face and the characters move all super fast and awkward like.

And really, ever since me and my bro switched bedrooms, a 32" is really the only size that will fit in there. IT is a SMALLLLLL room. Anything bigger than that would kill my eyes because the distance is like 7.5 ft, if even, from the head of my bed to the dresser where it will go.

I'm also looking for the cheapest possibilities, but without going to no-name brands, etc. Checking out the Vizio 32" LED-LCD 720p at walmart for like $300-320.

Even Best Buy has a highly praised Samsung 32" 720p for like $330.
---
GT: Br00talChives
Playing: Homefront, Dragon Age 2 Will Get Around To: RDR, Crysis 2, finishing DS2
#4ZashulePosted 10/10/2011 1:33:47 PM
Aragorn428777 posted...
I'm also looking for the cheapest possibilities, but without going to no-name brands, etc. Checking out the Vizio 32" LED-LCD 720p at walmart for like $300-320.

This is what I currently have, although mine is 1080p (I assume that one is too, go off the box, not what someone at Walmart tags it as.)
The only complaint I have is that the sound sucks and there is some slight blurring on faster games (Sonic 4 is hard to see) since it is an LED TV. The sound is the bigger issue though, it does have a 3.5mm audio output jack. If you use this, prepare for buzzing if your volume is adjusted and loud pops when you turn the TV on or off.

But all in all, I'm happy with it, picked it up for $299 on sale, so I can't complain.
---
Currently Playing: Red Dead Redemption, Dead Rising, Lost Odyssey, Brutal Legend, and SW:TFU.
Current XBOX LIVE GS: 70,070 Next Goal: 80,000 GT: TBreit
#5Matt_256Posted 10/10/2011 1:45:25 PM
60hz, 120hz, 600hz, it doesn't matter one bit for gaming as there is no difference. Most games run 60hz max. I have a 52" LED in my living room that can output in 240hz and a 32" LCD HDTV in my bedroom that only runs at 60hz. No difference in gaming whatsoever..
#6DivineViperPosted 10/10/2011 1:56:09 PM
I have a similar question to the one posted, but what settings do I change on my xbox? Any changes on my tv need to be done? I noticed there is a slight delay on when I push a button on my tv and when the action occurs on the tv screen (single player games, so no internet connection issues). I was about ready to post a topic on this. I have a 40" samsung LN40A550 1080p lcd hdtv if that helps. I think the refresh rate is 120hz.

tl;dr=help, there is a lag time between when I push a button on my controller and what I see on screen. What settings do I need to change?
#7Matt_256Posted 10/10/2011 2:01:23 PM(edited)
DivineViper posted...
I have a similar question to the one posted, but what settings do I change on my xbox? Any changes on my tv need to be done? I noticed there is a slight delay on when I push a button on my tv and when the action occurs on the tv screen (single player games, so no internet connection issues). I was about ready to post a topic on this. I have a 40" samsung LN40A550 1080p lcd hdtv if that helps. I think the refresh rate is 120hz.

tl;dr=help, there is a lag time between when I push a button on my controller and what I see on screen. What settings do I need to change?

Depends on your TV. Does your TV have a "Game Mode"? It's also good to turn off any motion enhancers you have on your TV while gaming. They can be finicky. If your TV does have a Game Mode I suggest using it.
#8DivineViperPosted 10/10/2011 2:09:02 PM
Vegeta, I have been doing some research and I think my tv does have a "game mode" setting. This is a new tv for me, considering the specs on it and had no idea this existed. I'll check in a bit. Thanks for your help on this.
#9TreGoodaPosted 10/10/2011 2:11:07 PM
Aragorn428777 posted...
Yea i agree with 120hz....makes HD tv shows and some movies look like they're being filmed right in front of your face and the characters move all super fast and awkward like.

And really, ever since me and my bro switched bedrooms, a 32" is really the only size that will fit in there. IT is a SMALLLLLL room. Anything bigger than that would kill my eyes because the distance is like 7.5 ft, if even, from the head of my bed to the dresser where it will go.

Even Best Buy has a highly praised Samsung 32" 720p for like $330.

Dude, that's just a setting. You can turn that off, lol. You're not supposed to watch movies like that.
---
"Get a life! What? I'm a gamer, I have tons of lives."
#10DivineViperPosted 10/10/2011 2:28:04 PM
I'm so used to that setting now and people watching movies on my tv are freaked out by it. The beginning to The Dark Knight is dizzying with the refresh rate, or whatever causes the "filming right in front of you" effect.