This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Was GTA IV that bad?

#101MertensCWPosted 10/28/2011 12:10:40 PM
jo3_n_k8 posted...
Also you'll shoot people and they die, then stand up and hobble off.

lol, but its realz and gritty. Happened all the time in da hood where i grew up. that S*** never happened when you blew their heads clean off...

Seriously though the game is not never has or will be Bad, but its pales in comparison to the fun had with the previous games and while some may not think that. Mainly the people who prefer the more grittier realism.

The fact remains the game didn't appease the ones who preferred the over the top style of the other games and therein lies the problem many of us had with GTA4 once the wow factor faded.
---
Some All time Favorites - Ninja Gaiden 1-2,Colony Wars 1-3,Xenogears,MarioKart,Lunar 2,GTA:VC/SA,Sonic 2,S&K,FF6-7,Zanac,S. Metroid,SMB2,NFL2K5,Halo 2, NG2
#102DakhanavarXPosted 10/28/2011 12:24:01 PM
YodaCrackers posted...
TheArcade posted...
Saints 2

'Nuff said.

Yeah, gotta love those archaic PS2 driving physics with no sense of weight to the vehicles whatsoever. They drive like Matchbox cars. Oh, and the canned damage modeling. Fantastic! And how about that bland and lifeless city of Stilwater. I'd figure one block in GTA IV has more intricate detail than the entire city in Saints Row 2. Drop down GTA IV's production values, depth, and polish by about a factor of 100 and you've got Saints Row! Tack on a horrible plot, laughable dialogue, and a bunch of pointless "mini-game" filler. No thank you!

Grand Theft Auto IV is the highest rated game of this gen, the highest rated and best-selling GTA title, and the game has not once dropped out of the Top 10 Most Played Games on Xbox LIVE since its release 3.5 years ago, according to Major Nelson's blog.

The GTA IV haters are a tiny, yet outspoken minority. It's best to ignore them and let them believe what they want to believe, while GTA V's title artwork alone crashes websites and gets more excitement than any Saints Row title will ever get, before or after its release.

People that praise GTA's vehicle controls baffle me. While it may not handle like SR2, (Which, 'ya know, is how GTA use to handle and fans of the series weren't bashing it then) it sure as hell doesn't control like GT or Forza. All it takes is driving down the road and ever so slightly tilting left & right, followed by watching your car look like a boat in a tsunami, to realize it's not all that realistic.

Here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKBgfN6be8Q

That's a mod for the pc version to make the driving more realistic. Nearly 70,000 views, and only 4 dislikes. Go ahead, watch the video, read the comments. It's almost universally praised (Along with the other versions of the mod with a similar number of views) and if the driving was so realistic in the first place, mods like this wouldn't be getting so much love. Just because it doesn't have "arcade" controls, doesn't mean it has realistic controls.

Loving GTAIV is one thing, but thinking Saints Row is garbage in every way just kinda makes your fanboy stick out. I don't like GTAIV, but I can acknowledge what it did well. Hating on SR for being a more logical progression of GTA after San An, however, is rather silly. And mini-game filler? Do...do I even need to go there? Darts? Bowling? Going to a fake cyber cafe to line up fake dates? (This is without even mentioning people calling you all the time, and as boolzero already mentioned, sure you can ignore them, but lose the bonuses.)

As for GTAIV's popularity...cool, I guess? I'd rather enjoy the games I like, not the games metacritic says I like. It's not a bad game by any means, but it's also not the greatest things since sliced bread like some diehard fans seem to think.
---
Member of the 8-Bit Playas: http://www.youtube.com/user/8BitPlayas
See my game collection: http://darkadia.com/member/Dakhanavar/library
#103gabriusPosted 10/28/2011 12:25:35 PM
"Oscar-worthy storytelling/writing" and 10's from every review outlet make an above average game look like a turd. The hype backfired on this one.
---
SHOOTEMUP
/XBL|PSN\ - Gabrius
#104MUD VIPERPosted 10/28/2011 12:38:08 PM
GTA IV was bad? Why was I not informed of this? It has a score of 98 on metacritic with 86 reviews and TC is under the impression that it's considered bad?

Reviews and praise from a bias gaming media and bias website that cherry picks reviews is not a good thing to use when trying to defend GTA IV.

Casual racism sure is fun!

So "adding" where someone is from in a statement, is now casual racism? Bang that liberal drum harder son.

but that's the thing, in many ways GTAIV was their first step with a new engine on new systems, why is it not conceivable that a lof of the fun elements were missing, not just because of a more serious direction, but that, like GTA3, they were attempting to get used to the limitations on a new system.

The "developers defense" of it is a "new engine" is getting really old. If I'm to believe that R* could not add "fun" to GTA IV because they did not know the "new engine"....their "new engine" that they made. Then I also have to believe R* are the dumbest damn developers on the planet.

I expect GTAV will include a lot more of the fun elements we expect.

Then nobody would buy it. Based on the general consensus amongst GTA IV apologist, they were glad that R* removed all the wacky goofy fun stuff.
---
Console bug testing has been outsourced to gamers now. For $60 you to can become a game tester.
#105shagadelicPosted 10/28/2011 2:14:29 PM
Carribean_Cool posted...
shagadelic posted...
GTA IV was bad? Why was I not informed of this? It has a score of 98 on metacritic with 86 reviews and TC is under the impression that it's considered bad?

I guess you missed the part where everyone in this topic was posting negative stuff about it

A few forum users consider a game that got universal praise to be bad and all of a sudden they speak for the general population?

MUD VIPER posted...

Reviews and praise from a bias gaming media and bias website that cherry picks reviews is not a good thing to use when trying to defend GTA IV.

Yeah, a game got good reviews you don't agree with so the website must be "cherry picking" reviews. The way the cherry picked with Battlefield 3 and posted reviews that gave it a 70, or X-men Destiny, where they posted reviews that gave the game less than 50%.

But wait, R* must have greased some palms, right?
#106Moss_27Posted 10/28/2011 6:25:29 PM
"Here's what you overlook and most people who use that argument overlook with that defense though... You get bonuses from having them as friends, but when you put the game on sleep mode you don't get those bonuses. That is crappy design no matter how you try to debate it. If keeping them as friends was actually enjoyable it wouldn't be such an issue, but when the implemented gameplay mechanic is intrusive at the most inconvenient times and offers little actual rewarding gameplay and feels more like a chore just to maintain a bonus, then yes, it becomes tedious especially so when they call you so frequently and you lose their friendship so rapidly that maintaining their friendship seems more like work than having a friend. I shouldn't have to lose my bonuses because I choose to no longer play their tedious social interaction mini game. Had they made it actually, oh I don't know, fun, then I would be so remiss to balance whether I want to keep up my dates with my cousin or lose my bonus because minigame is ruining my experience."

Right....but those minor bonuses do not impact the game experience at all. What are you missing out on that makes these activities so vital to have to keep doing them if you can't stand them? They have such a minimal impact on the game that it isn't taking much away at all if you ignore the friends. Keeping their friendship high will give you perks to give some people more of a reason to keep hanging out with them..but luckily they made it so those who don't want to deal with them aren't missing out on much at all. If keeping friends opened up new missions or gave actual unlockable stuff that impact the game, then yes there'd be a problem.
---
"Keep watching whatever crap you like, and people with brains will make Whitney a success." Pretty_Odd on Whitney. Classic.
#107MUD VIPERPosted 10/29/2011 7:51:19 AM
Yeah, a game got good reviews you don't agree with so the website must be "cherry picking" reviews. The way the cherry picked with Battlefield 3 and posted reviews that gave it a 70, or X-men Destiny, where they posted reviews that gave the game less than 50%.

Sure turbo. Metacritic has proved countless times that they do cherry pick reviews, they were doing it before GTA IV and they've been doing it since GTA IV.

But wait, R* must have greased some palms, right?

Again, there have been countless examples of this happening this gen as well.

I understand others opinions oppose and intrude on your own, but as I've said there have been incidents that back up what I say.
---
Console bug testing has been outsourced to gamers now. For $60 you to can become a game tester.