This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

JRPG's....why? what next?

#1The_DjokerPosted 10/27/2011 6:38:53 AM
This is a legit question, because over the last 6 years certainly this gen feel JRPG's have lost the plot. There are some great JRPG's this gen imo(vesperia, LO etc..) but i don't feel the Genre has gone backwards and is the most stagnant least evolving genre. FFXIII tried to be a modern JRPG, but failed at it's attempt and even though it sold well it it had a huge backlash in terms of it's crtiics becoming the lowest rated mainline FF title ever.

IT's funny..when i look at my fav. games ever and compile a top 20 or top 30 list..a lot of them consist of JRPG's (more so than other genres )but even i'm willing to state that the genre just isn't as appealing anymore.

I enjoyed FF13 and respect what the devs wanted to do..but their execution and design structure was so flawed they came out openly and admitted it. People hate JRPG's but what is the reason? Does FF need to go back to FFVI route and less anime style storylines with more novel driven approach? Does Tales games need to be a bit more artistic and not simple cel shaded anime? Does the actual dialoge/VA need improvement so everything line that comes out of a character isn't cringe worthy?

Anyhow i feel that this is a genre that i want to see more games of...but i'm frustrated at the lack of ambition or evolution shown to this area.

And i'm also frustrated Atlus are wasting time and money making remakes/ports instead of Persona 5.
---
http://s2.postimage.org/5zd4anbwq/The_Djokerlol.png
#2ramseanPosted 10/27/2011 6:47:28 AM
If you look at new jrpgs like xenoblade, the last story and recent tales games, they are evolving to become more like wrpgs in that they are starting to move away from the ancient turn based systems.

The only games that seem to be stagnant are final fantasy and dragon quest. The main issue with those is they are too big to change otherwise people will cry about it(see ffxii and the original dqIX before they chickened out).
---
Best games ever made Metroid Prime, Killer7, FFX, Super Mario Galaxy and Enslaved
#3Nok_Su_KowPosted 10/27/2011 7:10:14 AM
I wish Xenoblade came to the 360 or PS3, I've heard nothing but good things about that game. Nintendo is doing themselves a disservice by not releasing it in NA.
#4hyrulelslPosted 10/27/2011 7:11:47 AM
The lack of JRPGs in this current gen is also saddening.
---
http://i.imgur.com/qguvN.gif
#5The_Djoker(Topic Creator)Posted 10/27/2011 7:14:03 AM

If you look at new jrpgs like xenoblade, the last story and recent tales games, they are evolving to become more like wrpgs in that they are starting to move away from the ancient turn based systems.

The only games that seem to be stagnant are final fantasy and dragon quest. The main issue with those is they are too big to change otherwise people will cry about it(see ffxii and the original dqIX before they chickened out).

it's not just talking about turn base battle systems..and yeah ironically at least in my opinion, FF12 is one of the better JRPG's to come out because it removed the linearity and pre rendered level design strcuture of the older games. Gambits were also a neat idea.
---
#6The_Djoker(Topic Creator)Posted 10/27/2011 7:17:03 AM

The lack of JRPGs in this current gen is also saddening.

Development costs.

The fact is it costs more money to make games on 360/PS3 so you can't pump up JRPG's left right and centre like the PS2 era...instead you have to either make PSP/DS games or make low budget console on Wii. Xenoblade was very impressive but a game like that on 360/PS3 would have been near impossible with the budget it had.
---
#7x2link777Posted 10/27/2011 7:17:11 AM
The problem with the genre exists on consoles. On the hanhelds, PSP and DS, the genre is thriving. This is because the portable sstems have been on top in Japan for a while, with the standard consoles taking a backseat, so companies are putting their games on those systems that will sell the most, the portables, in Japan. In the rest of the world, the sub-genre has and always will be a niche one, and one i personally would lose no sleep over if they finally killed it for good.
---
I am the most fiendish terror that flaps in the darkest night. I am the skunk that pollutes your air. I am Negaduck!!
#8knightimexPosted 10/27/2011 7:24:52 AM
turn based systems in jrpg games is like intercourse. It won't ever get old.
---
I was yelled at in yahoo checkers for camping.
-_-
#9themerlinPosted 10/27/2011 7:26:11 AM
DEATH TO THE JRPG !
---
As the world plunges into chaos, in this the final days of the wretched human race, there is only one antidote to this misery.....THE ELECTRIC WIZARD.
#10GeassMasterPosted 10/27/2011 7:39:15 AM
ramsean posted...

Tales has always had a full time battle system, since the SNES days, same with star ocean. JRPGs with action-game battle systems have been around forever.

I don't like xenoblades battle-system it's basically a modified MMO battle system which sucks because while it seems more actiony, it is just as mundane has turn-based.