This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I really don't think there are many GoTY canidates this year...

#1POOKISTANPosted 10/28/2011 5:44:33 AM
I mean when you start breaking it down into genres it becomes a bit more clear-cut but when it comes down to the actual title Game of the Year I really don't think there's many candidates. This is the list I can come up with:

Elder Scrolls Skyrim
Little Big Planet 2
Modern Warfare 3
Battlefield 3
Batman Arkham City
Dues Ex Human Revolution
Gears 3
Uncharted 3
Zelda Skyward Sword
Dark Souls

I put them in the order I believe they're likely to have the potential to be picked and, no, I don't think Portal 2 has the potential to get that title - It might make it for a genre (like puzzle for example) but it'd be pretty ridiculous to call that the Game of the Year. Really it's kinda' a disappointing list - Nothing really jumps out as being an obvious winner even though I put them in order of what I believe will be their potential for being chosen. It should also be noted that all of these are sequels so none of them are "fresh" even if they are the best version of whatever they represent.

Oh well, we'll see - Here's my predictions externalized until I get to lazy to bump them (or too tired of trolling in the topic) and the topic purges...
#2GrimKusanagiPosted 10/28/2011 5:53:44 AM
I thought Red Dead Redemption already got GOTY.
---
Current Playing: Resonance of Fate and Final Fantasy XIII
#3MR_SorenPosted 10/28/2011 6:06:15 AM
Well, since there are so many different websites and magazines and tv shows each doing their GotY awards, it's quite possible that all of those games will win GotY somewhere.

Regardless of any awards, Dark Souls is the only game on that list that I care about.
---
My Collection:
http://club.ign.com/b/list/custom?&lid=100018&owner=rcarello&mode=vown
#4CyricsServantPosted 10/28/2011 6:23:43 AM
POOKISTAN posted...
I mean when you start breaking it down into genres it becomes a bit more clear-cut but when it comes down to the actual title Game of the Year I really don't think there's many candidates. This is the list I can come up with:

Elder Scrolls Skyrim
Little Big Planet 2
Modern Warfare 3
Battlefield 3
Batman Arkham City
Dues Ex Human Revolution
Gears 3
Uncharted 3
Zelda Skyward Sword
Dark Souls

I put them in the order I believe they're likely to have the potential to be picked

And you have Battlefield 3 towards the top?... Really? With an 82 I'll be surprised if it gets any nominations, let alone a win.
#5CapnStankyPosted 10/28/2011 6:24:58 AM
LOL at a GOTY list without Portal 2 on it. Get out. Just get out.
#6POOKISTAN(Topic Creator)Posted 10/28/2011 6:26:31 AM(edited)
CyricsServant posted...
And you have Battlefield 3 towards the top?... Really? With an 82 I'll be surprised if it gets any nominations, let alone a win.

Console version =/= PC version
#7grasuPosted 10/28/2011 6:49:08 AM
I would actually narrow down that list considerably:

Modern Warfare 3 - Unless this game is absolutely mind-blowing I don't see it getting GOTY. Most game review sites cater to gamers and most gamers are getting a wee-bit tired of CoD's copy/paste style of development. I think it might even miss best FPS.
Battlefield 3 - Even on the PC this game hasn't exactly floored anyone in gameplay terms. It's good, but it falls in the same basic category as MW3.
Deus Ex: Some places loved the game, some thought it good, others only saw a mediocre release. It might get some GOTY's form specialized sites but it will probably lose the title to Skyrm in both the RPG and GOTY categories if it comes down to it.
Zelda: GOTY on the Wii, but this year's got - like in the last 4-5 years - will be a game from PS3/Xbox360/PC. Even when Mario Galaxy got 10s and is the best rated game of this generation it didn't win GOTY.

IMO. I would trim that list down to this:

Dark Souls - Gamespot GOTY unless Skyrim is mind-blowing.
Uncharted 3 - Haven't played the game, but it looks iike it will grab the most awards this year
Skyrim - Probably a few sites, especially those focused on RPGs and "hardcore" games will give the title to Skyrim. On most other sites, provided it's good, it'll probably win Best RPG.
Gears 3 - Xbox-focused magazines/sites IMO.
Batman:AC - Could be the biggest competitor to Uncharted 3.
#8RockguyKevPosted 10/28/2011 7:00:15 AM
<<LOL at a GOTY list without Portal 2 on it. Get out. Just get out.>>

Not only off the list but specifically picked out as a non-winner. Absolutely ridiculous.

Portal 2 and Bastion are easily the best games so far this year. Though, admittedly, I have yet to play Batman which is getting insanely good reviews.
#9POOKISTAN(Topic Creator)Posted 10/28/2011 7:03:29 AM
Well if you disagree with one thing about a post that covers quite a bit you are doing the gaming community a disservice by not being entirely unpleasant - Remember that...
#10EiEiPosted 10/28/2011 10:45:09 AM
MW3? A rehash of an old game getting GOTY? lol

Batman more than deserves it.
---
A brilliant source of entertaining gaming & sports articles: http://tatfortit.wordpress.com/category/video-games