This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Wireless adapter VS PC network bridge

#1MestizoFreakPosted 10/30/2011 7:44:51 PM
I'm thinking of getting a wireless adapter for my 360. It's the older model. It came with a long ethernet cable, but it has to cross my room to reach my desktop. I'd like the adapter to take the 360 and play it online as opposed to it glitching randomly (it refused to load DLC I had on the system once because it needed a game update). My router's an older 802.11g signal router, so I'm looking to get the older 1-antennae adapter to match it. How is the online quality between the 2 (adapter and bridge)?
#2rofflchopperPosted 10/30/2011 8:34:19 PM
I don't know if this is for everyone, but the quality was pretty bad when I tried to bridge it. It was playable, but my NAT type was strict and had 2 bars most of the time, maybe 3.

I have had no problems with the adapter. The wireless router is downstairs and the Xbox is upstairs and I've had no problems with connection or lag.
---
Dear Society,
Please stop calling Justin Bieber gay. We don't want him either. --- Sincerely, Homosexuals.
#3MestizoFreak(Topic Creator)Posted 10/31/2011 4:43:54 AM
Bump. Any other recommendations?
#4squeeb1985Posted 10/31/2011 5:03:40 AM
I bridge my laptop connection to my Xbox and I've never had any problems. Open NAT and mostly 4 bars in CoD. I'd imagine that it might be affected by your router and wireless card, though.
---
GT: Beastwood5
#5CapwnDPosted 10/31/2011 6:17:35 AM(edited)
MestizoFreak people often say bridge when they actually have ICS enabled.... Not trying to say you did that but just to clarify, do you actually bridge the connection in your PC or do you have ICS enabled? Bridging the connection may work better then ICS, especially if you have a router involved too. If you don't have a router you'd probably have to use ICS.

I only game wired, but I've messed with adapters, DDWRT routers turned into bridges, and connecting through laptops and if I was forced to use wireless, I would do it in this order:

--Official MS adapter, I'd pick the 2 antenna N capable adapter.
--use a router with DDWRT and turn it into a bridge
--connect through laptop, bridged connection
--connect through laptop using ICS
---
ready for a bit of the o' ultra-violence