This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Am I the only person who doesn't mind "more of the same"?

#1Halochief6Posted 10/31/2011 7:42:07 AM
I'm always in disbelief when people complain about how sequels are so similar to the previous game. It's a sequel! it's supposed to be very similar to the previous titles. It's one thing if one franchise is painfully similar to another. But for the same franchise to maintain it's core mechanics, gameplay, mission structure, etc. is not something to complain about. /rant

If there is something I'm missing feel free to fill me in on it.
---
GT - Legendaryicon3 - Currently Playing Gears of War 3
http://potd.wetpaint.com/page/Video+Game+Character+Battle
#2ArPharazon412Posted 10/31/2011 7:45:43 AM
Depends which series you're talking about. Some games legitimately need change. It's when devs ignore things that should've been fixed that it really gets on my nerves. Familiarity isn't a bad thing, but straight up copy and paste is lazy and feels uninspired.
---
We're all stories in the end.
#3Halochief6(Topic Creator)Posted 10/31/2011 7:53:58 AM
ArPharazon412 posted...
Depends which series you're talking about. Some games legitimately need change. It's when devs ignore things that should've been fixed that it really gets on my nerves. Familiarity isn't a bad thing, but straight up copy and paste is lazy and feels uninspired.

Well yeah. If the games sucks and they make a sequel something should be changed. I agree with you on basically everything you just said. As long as they add something to make a bit different is fine.

Ex: Crackdown only needed some new weapons and perks to feel different enough and I liked the 2nd more than the first.
---
GT - Legendaryicon3 - Currently Playing Gears of War 3
http://potd.wetpaint.com/page/Video+Game+Character+Battle
#4Hucast9Posted 10/31/2011 8:43:31 AM
I do want more of same as Modern Warfare 2 (especially after what I saw in Black Ops) but that's the only example. I usually don't want more of the same.
#5Jhardy12121Posted 10/31/2011 8:49:55 AM
Dragon Age 2 showed that sometimes change is a terrible thing.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbD5d5AKKII&feature=youtu.be Subscribe and rate
#6MR_SorenPosted 10/31/2011 9:20:37 AM
Halochief6 posted...
I'm always in disbelief when people complain about how sequels are so similar to the previous game. It's a sequel! it's supposed to be very similar to the previous titles. It's one thing if one franchise is painfully similar to another. But for the same franchise to maintain it's core mechanics, gameplay, mission structure, etc. is not something to complain about. /rant

If there is something I'm missing feel free to fill me in on it.

Sequels should be more of the same, hopefully with some refinements to the game mechanics.

Variety is also important, of course, but that's why other games and types of games exist.
---
My Collection:
http://club.ign.com/b/list/custom?&lid=100018&owner=rcarello&mode=vown
#7vigorm0rtisPosted 10/31/2011 9:22:17 AM
Jhardy12121 posted...

Not really. DAO needed to get out of the 90s. DA2 might not have been the formula, but something needed to change.
---
Everything's better with zombies. Except pie.
#8TheCowHeadPosted 10/31/2011 9:25:41 AM
Jhardy12121 posted...

yep... and but too much more of the same can reach a breaking point.

I loved Assassin's Creed 1... thought 2 was pretty cool too... even brotherhood was a good time and all... but I just can't get up for Revelations.

Now... Demon's Souls was great (top five game of all time for me), but, even with some minor adjustments, I a am LOVING Dark Souls.

Just a few tweaks here and there... and you have vastly improved a game while keeping the spirit of the game.

there needs to be at least the sense of progression in a series.
#9pakathecatPosted 10/31/2011 9:29:14 AM
I'm the same, TC. I find a level of comfort in it, and makes it easier when I jump back and forth between games in the same series. Dragon Quest is a pretty extreme example, but it is my favorite series, and part of it is how close they stick to the formula. Mixing things up is always a gamble, sometimes developers come up with something really good, but other time break something that didn't need fixing.
#10CapnStankyPosted 10/31/2011 9:31:26 AM
Given the fact that nearly every big game coming out now is a sequel...yes, yes you're the only one that wants more of the same.