This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Need help making a decision about Skyrim...

#1CustomCreAZNPosted 11/1/2011 5:35:36 PM
I've never played games in the same genre as Skyrim or MMORPGs but after watching some gameplay videos of skyrim I'm extremely tempted to pick this game up.

Now the main reason I never got into these type of gameplays is because they tend to get a bit too extensive for me to get into even tho I enjoy the story and gameplay (I tried playing Mass Effect once. Loved the RPG elements [all time RPG fan here] but there were just so much technicalities to the gameplay) and the latter would be because I really don't want a lot of my time getting sooooo sucked up into the game haha

So a few questions arise about this type of game...

What exactly type of gameplay is this? It seems to me a tad bit of MMORPG...(is it even an online venture?)
How much time would this game actually take to complete?
How extensive is the game itself? ie - leveling up chars/equip/etc and missions and storyline

Now you're probably sitting there saying to yourself "this guy's obviously oblivious to what he's talking about" lol hence the reason why I'm asking...

So any input would be greatly appreciated in the decision of purchasing Skyrim.

Thanks!
---
For Your Viewing Pleasure -- http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f356/CustomCreAZN/Randoms/pic2080.jpg
#2woodymPosted 11/1/2011 5:42:22 PM
go to the skyrim board, they will be helpful
---
Do you actually LOL when you put LOL in a message?
#3CustomCreAZN(Topic Creator)Posted 11/1/2011 5:56:53 PM
Thanks. I did that immediately thought of that right after clicking "Post"...sorry. And thanks
---
For Your Viewing Pleasure -- http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f356/CustomCreAZN/Randoms/pic2080.jpg
#4Hucast9Posted 11/1/2011 6:03:19 PM
It's too late now, but the best way to answer the question is to buy Oblivion. It's expected that Skyrim will be very similar to Oblivion. The problem is that you could spend a month playing Oblivion, but Skyrim is coming out in 10 days.
#5MegagutsPosted 11/1/2011 6:11:54 PM
MMORPG

Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game

Skyrim is single player only.
---
GT: ConfederateRokr
You should go vegan, more meat for me.
#6cvmckenziePosted 11/1/2011 9:28:58 PM
Oblivion was great because it was whatever game you wanted it to be. From action oriented to stealth, it had options. You could talk to people for sidequests, join brotherhoods, fight, steal...it was awesome almost exclusively because you could do whatever you wanted with your character...for the most part.

It was as deep or as shallow an experience as could be had. It was the players choice. And every bit of it was good.

I put 200 hrs into 3 playthroughs and never did the same thing twice. I assume skyrim will be even better and will definately be worth a rent for you.

As for me, im still burnt out from oblivion and just cant get excited for skyrim tbh.
---
---
#7IwantedzeroPosted 11/1/2011 9:39:00 PM

What exactly type of gameplay is this?

It's a first/third person action RPG. I guess.

It seems to me a tad bit of MMORPG...(is it even an online venture?)

There's no online component (and that's the way it should be dammit!)

How much time would this game actually take to complete?

Just the main story line? Probably no longer than any other modern game. Six hours maybe. Random guess. I think the current speedrun record is two hours.

To complete 100%? Hundreds of hours.

How extensive is the game itself? ie - leveling up chars/equip/etc and missions and storyline

I'm not exactly sure what you mean but...leveling up occurs by increasing any of your 18 skills enough. Skills go from one to one hundred and raising higher level skills gives more EXP towards leveling up than low level skills. When you level up, you get to pick a perk for any one skill in a branching perk tree.

As for equipment, there are plenty of different kinds of weapons and possible combinations, as well as several different types of armor. I'm not sure on the specific numbers, but whatever you want to wear/use, you can be proficient in.

As for missions, there are expected to be literally hundreds of them, but there's no compulsion to do any of them so you can just pick and choose the ones you want to do.
---
http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2011/128/2/d/ri_chibis_series_3_by_frist44-d3fwuko.png
Good work, ChaosZeroRoxorz!