This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Gearbox honors late fan in Borderlands 2

#1SilentBPosted 11/3/2011 10:17:11 PM
Pretty nice story. Gearbox has always seemed to "get it"... Except with the new Brothers in Arms game, haha. The audio message can be heard when you follow the link.

"This morning, we received an email from a Destructoid fan named Carlo who shared a story about his late friend Michael John Mamaril. Last month, Michael passed away due to cancer at the young age of 22. Both were huge Borderlands fans, so Carlo thought a great way to honor his buddy's memory would be to shoot Gearbox Software an email asking for a short eulogy to be read by the game's smart-mouthed robot mascot Claptrap. Not only did Gearbox comply with the request, it also promised to insert Michael into the upcoming Borderlands 2 as an NPC.

This is, without a doubt, one of the most heartfelt and generous acts of fan appreciation ever. For Gearbox to extend such an honor demonstrates how serious the company is in forging meaningful relationships with the people who play its games. This certainly isn't the first time Gearbox has gone above and beyond, and I guarantee it won't be the last.

You can listen to Claptrap's eulogy for Michael below. And thanks for sharing this touching story with us, Carlo. You have our deepest condolences."

http://www.destructoid.com/gearbox-to-honor-late-fan-as-an-npc-in-borderlands-2-215160.phtml
---
"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view."
#2SolidSnackPosted 11/3/2011 10:28:19 PM
I'm willing to bet that this is a ploy just to get his buddy in the game.
---
**Is black**
XBL: Squill Caduceus
#3GrobariPosted 11/3/2011 10:36:38 PM
I...I need to..

...I got something in my eye, just gonna wash it away real quick
---
I guess having an engaging conversation with a bottle of Head & Shoulders was enough to trigger my judgement. - holinger_Z
#4iamjosh308Posted 11/3/2011 10:40:49 PM
boring
---
i post my pc specs in my signature
#5GrobariPosted 11/3/2011 10:42:08 PM
iamjosh308 posted...
I am heartless and dead inside.
---
I guess having an engaging conversation with a bottle of Head & Shoulders was enough to trigger my judgement. - holinger_Z
#6_Vuvuzela_Posted 11/3/2011 10:47:48 PM
It's touching. I teared up a little.
#7SubSeenixPosted 11/3/2011 10:48:04 PM
This guy probably lives and is when the game gets released trying to impress girls with it

Look im so important they did something for me in the game
#8NintendologicalPosted 11/3/2011 11:24:48 PM
Only on a video game forum will you find people so ignorant and jaded, that they would make light and speak ill of the dead.
---
Your uncle was so dumb he paid the full price of a new PS2 to rent it for a week? Your family tree must be a straight line" - Finlandia
#9VeinInjctdPainPosted 11/4/2011 12:47:08 AM
This is one of the many reasons I love Gearbox. Sure some of their games may suck but for the most part they are the only developer that actually gives a crap about their fans.
---
"My judo throws are the best, the best throws in the world. All the other throws are done by little girls"-Karo Parisyan
#10Rip_Van_WinkleXPosted 11/4/2011 12:52:30 AM
Nintendological posted...
Only on a video game forum will you find people so ignorant and jaded, that they would make light and speak ill of the dead.

This. He was a big fan who died. To honor his fandom they put a character in for him. Gearbox does love to cater to the fans, they even helped a guy get married by asking her with a Clap-trap movie.
---
GamerTag: RipVanWinkleX