This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Games which failed to draw you in until one day...

#1HulkxxSMASHPosted 11/5/2011 1:57:55 PM
I've just got done with an 10hr shift on Fallout 3 (GOTY), still my first playthrough, and argh! It's hooked me in!

I've sunk over 70 hours into one character, only gone so far as meant to be meeting dear old dad at Project Purity or something (done a lot of side quests) and I've only done Operation: Anchorage DLC so far!

Funny thing is I've played 3 and 4 hour stints on it before but it never really got me hooked and something somehow changed when I played it last week.

Same thing happened initially with Mass Effect 1 & Bioshock (that didn't take me 70+ hours of course) - at first 'meh, it's ok, but nothing amazing' ...keep going and one day - blam! Addicted.

So instead of being 'Ode to Fallout', I'll ask the question; has this happened to anyone else?

Footnote: I like to think that THIS is reason enough to justify keeping games, not impulsively trading them in/selling them because you didn't like at first or couldn't get into them.
---
Hulk is strongest one there is... Hulk is... only one there is... only one... there... is... Hulk feels... cold
#2ramseanPosted 11/5/2011 2:02:15 PM
killer7 played it got stuck on the 2nd level, took it back. Bought it a year later played it from start to finish, i now consider it one of my games ever
---
Best games ever made Metroid Prime, Killer7, FFX, Super Mario Galaxy and Enslaved
#3ThECoLoNeL00Posted 11/5/2011 2:07:30 PM(edited)
lol its my games ever
---
http://i434.photobucket.com/albums/qq65/II-VeZ-II/MyQxu.gif http://i434.photobucket.com/albums/qq65/II-VeZ-II/video33.gif
SniperFrog is Real
#4RycerXPosted 11/5/2011 2:07:29 PM
Shadow of the Colossus, it looked like just another generic third-person action game. Then I played it.
#5ZacTBPosted 11/5/2011 2:16:49 PM
Games which failed to hook me at first:

Call of Duty: World at War
Battlefield: Bad Company 2
Portal (Now Portal 2 is one of my favourite games)
Mass Effect (But I haven't played this in a while so I may need another 'hook')
Assassin's Creed II
Saint's Row 2 (Now its one of my favourite games)

Games which still need to hook me in: (I still enjoy these games to an extent)

Saint's Row
Just Cause 2
Fallout 3
Limbo
The Darkness
Rainbow Six Vegas 2
Enslaved
Alan Wake
Dead Rising 2: Case West and Case Zero (I love Dead Rising 2 though)
Project Gotham Racing 4
Bioshock
Fable 2
Dead Rising
Assassin's Creed
Oblivion
---
"Please remember, Science rhymes with compliance. Do you know what doesn't rhyme with compliance? Neurotoxin" - Portal 2
#6NinjuggalotusPosted 11/5/2011 2:26:39 PM
Mass Effect 1. Played it when first came out, put about twenty hours and then just stopped. Three years later decided to continue it, got me hooked and finished it, and then few months later finished ME2.
---
"Come at the king, you best not miss."
"C'mon Alex, you can do it! C'mon Alex, there's nothing to it!."
#7SS_MetalSonicPosted 11/5/2011 2:31:32 PM
mass effect. and then, it happened.
---
PSWiiPC60DS -- Deus Ex, Crysis , SuperMario Bros, SC :Conviction , LIMBO
Forza 4, God of war 3, Mortal Kombat , Killzone 3, Mass effect 2 , DarkVoid, Alan Wake
#8natevinesPosted 11/5/2011 2:34:53 PM
DEAD SPACE is the only one I can think of.

Got it on PC in 2008. Couldn't get into it at all.

Bought it on 360 games on demand in '10. Couldn't get into at all.

Tried it again summer of this year. One of my FAVORITE games this gen. Easily. Not sure why I passed it up so much. I think I was too scared, lol.

This is actually the only example I can think of, and it's pretty significant because I not only ended up enjoying the game, but ended up regarding it as one of the best games on the console and best survival horror game since Resident Evil came out in 1996.
---
Gamertag- MidgetRifleman
#9bluehat94Posted 11/5/2011 2:37:42 PM
Batman: Arkham Asylum at first i had trouble figuring out how to fight and i stopped playing after an hour in, 3 months later i decided to play again, got the hang of things, and now it and its sequel are two of my favorite games
---
"When these hands are crushing your throat, your dying breath won't be an appeal to god, it'll be, thank you Killbane"- Killbane
#10WinternovaPosted 11/5/2011 2:41:54 PM
Alpha Protocol did that. Played it once one day, didn't do anything for me...then I stopped playing it like other games and played it as if it was its own game and it just clicked. Fun game.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMKUUUvjjzo
Fan of: Steelers(AFC Champs), Red Wings(Central Champs)