This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Tak Fuji of Konami on Why Japanese Don't Fair Well in the West

#1NintendologicalPosted 11/7/2011 12:44:22 PM
Silicon Era: While I was walking around Konamiís Tokyo Game Show booth, only a handful of the games developed from the Japan side have been confirmed for the US like Pro Evolution Soccer, NeverDead, and Metal Gear. How do you feel about that since you handle East to West conversions?

Tak Fuji: Itís hard. As you know, the industry has changed. Itís a totally different business here compared to five years ago. This is my personal guess, but many Western gamers donít play Japanese games anymore or maybe they never played Japanese games. They have no interest in Japanese games.

OK, there is a big FPS franchise in the West, the biggest one from somewhere. It has massive numbers. Maybe half or more than half of those players may have bought hardware just to play that game and no other games. They only have one game and they keep purchasing downloadable maps, additional content, DLC, DLC, DLC. And then a new one comes out and they just buy it. They never play sports games, action games, and have no interest in Japanese games.

Before Microsoft came into the console business, the center of development was Nintendo or Sony. It was very handy for us to discuss hardware and technology with them because everything was in Japanese. Now, reports have to go through the American division and are translated into Japanese for the technical division and then if anything comes back we have to translate that into English for support. Itís hard. Once America started getting into the console business, there is only English support and they are in the Western market. It was handy for them and so the roles changed.

SE: I think one hurdle with Japanese games is the "one sentence pitch." If you canít explain what the core of a game in one sentence, itís glossed over and with Japanese games there are cultural differences like moe which arenít ubiquitous.

TF: Again, it goes back to what we were talking about earlier. The people who play that FPS donít care about Japanese games, oriental stories or oriental books. They just donít care about it.

SE: That group may be difficult to convince, but I do think a subset of that audience may buy similar games in the genre perhaps even Metal Gear Solid.

TF: I would say used to. It looks like the market is shrinking, right? But the total number of sales are not really shrinking. Metal Gear is still a multi-million selling title. Pro Eleven Soccer is still a multi-million game too. Itís a big number, but compared to the big franchises in the West our numbers are not shrinking. Itís just that peopleís interests are expanding and they never play Japanese games or care about them. Thatís the market weíre aiming for.

....They love Western publishers, right? If we can make a good Western game planned at Konami theyíll put that game on their shelf. Then theyíll know us. They wonít care where Konami comes from. Thatís our goal and weíre a global company now. We all know EA is an American company and Ubi[soft] is a French company, but gamers donít care about that.

http://www.siliconera.com/2011/11/03/talking-with-tak-fujii-about-bringing-japanese-games-overseas-part-1/

http://www.siliconera.com/2011/11/04/talking-with-tak-fujii-about-bringing-japanese-games-overseas-part-2/
---
Your uncle was so dumb he paid the full price of a new PS2 to rent it for a week? Your family tree must be a straight line" - Finlandia
#2GingivitisLegPosted 11/7/2011 12:46:12 PM
Sooooo why sooooooo angry soooooo

Was watching some oldies from the 40's and one caucasian dress up as an asian constantly say sooooo after each word.. not offensive.
---
I'm never gonna dance again
Guilty feet have got no rhythm
#3KnifegashPosted 11/7/2011 1:04:58 PM
Tak Fuji: If he's not hyping up Ninety Nine Nights, he's dropping truth bombs.
---
Isn't that right, Zach?
http://tinyurl.com/5vsjbj6
#4OmegaFlare18Posted 11/7/2011 1:06:58 PM
the real truth?

the Japanese games are too extreeeeeeeme for the US
---
PSN: MachineHero09
Gamertag: Mystyr E
#5BingSanpaoPosted 11/7/2011 1:07:03 PM
It seems logical for Tak Fuji to bring to the west games that will sell over wan mirrion copies.
#6Nintendological(Topic Creator)Posted 11/7/2011 1:22:30 PM(edited)
Knifegash posted...

So agree that the Western market is too focused on one genre, and as Tak specifies, one franchise (Call of Duty)?
---
Your uncle was so dumb he paid the full price of a new PS2 to rent it for a week? Your family tree must be a straight line" - Finlandia
#7KnifegashPosted 11/7/2011 1:19:27 PM
Nintendological posted...
Knifegash posted...

S you do agree that the Western market is too focused on one genre, and as Tak specifies, one franchise (Call of Duty)?

While the Western culture is clearly leaning toward shooters over story-rich RPGs, I wouldn't say that it's all down to one franchise. I lean closer to what he says about people who adore shooters simply don't care about Japanese culture and their attempts to influence the West. Now, you can argue that the Japanese method is outdated and is only prolonged because of tradition and stubborn refusal to make room for accommodations, but that's another story altogether.
---
Isn't that right, Zach?
http://tinyurl.com/5vsjbj6
#8gorilla47Posted 11/7/2011 1:23:18 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlq--x3cCYY
---
A Mod/Admin replied on 11/5/2011 6:06:56 PM:
Telling other users to smell your ass is trolling. End of story.
#9LightgamerPosted 11/7/2011 1:33:55 PM(edited)
Well truth is told by him. Yes 80% of my friends play shooters, like Call of Duty.

I like FPS games too but I also enjoy playing games like Elder Scrolls, Fallout and Mass Effect.

I believe the majority of the western population of gamers does not have or look for time to indulge with time-consuming/story driven games.
Most people that I know who play only Call of Duty/Halo, party a lot, spend more social time with others.

I fail at posting skills. -_-..

Look at that!
#10ninja rabbitPosted 11/7/2011 1:32:26 PM
A good game is a good game regardless of who makes it or where it is made.

To me the issue isn't so much American gamers aren't playing Japanese games anymore but rather Japanese game companies for the most part have taken a step or two backwards in terms of game development and American and European companies are stepping in to fill the void. It's been noticable with companies like Square-Enix, Capcom, and even Nintendo and with traditionally more Japanese genres like JRPGs.

Another thing that has happened too this gen is companies who have traditionally developed for most PCs in the past are now developing for the consoles like Bioware.
---
Despite all my rage I'm still just a rabbit in a cage
XBL Gamertag: ninjarabbitmega