This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Tak Fuji of Konami on Why Japanese Don't Fair Well in the West

#51IChangedMyNamePosted 11/9/2011 3:37:19 AM
I disagree w/ him and feel he is putting blame on a trend instead of the real problem, which for the Japanese or Eastern gaming hemisphere is just plain marketing for the game.

I can admit that the West is infatuated w/ FPS's right now but he says himself that when Sony/Nintendo controlled the market Japanese/Eastern games dominated. It seems the tables turn and all he can do is be bitter about it and practically insult the western gamers taste?(I took it as an insult myself)

When did the Western game developers ever accuse the taste of the Gamers on the Japanese style?
---
I'm Playing: Gears Of War 3, Ace Combat: Assault Horizon, Dark Souls.
I Want: King Of Fighters XIII, Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City, Batman Arkham City.
#52VampiricDragon_Posted 11/9/2011 3:39:45 AM(edited)
its funny because sony and nintendo still control the majority of the hardware and software market. So hes wrong on that

But people are talking his statements the wrong way. Hes really insulting the west which isnt cool either.
---
Games to Watch: FF 13-2,Ninokuni PS3,SRW OG 2,Dragon Quest X,Bravely Default,Fire Emblem 3DS,Kingdom Hearts DDD, Monster Hunter 4,Paper Mario 3ds, Suikoden PSP
#53DerekRossPosted 11/9/2011 7:09:33 AM
VampiricDragon_ posted...
its funny because sony and nintendo still control the majority of the hardware and software market. So hes wrong on that

But people are talking his statements the wrong way. Hes really insulting the west which isnt cool either.

The thing is Sony major 1st party titles are western type games. Only Nintendo is doing very well in the West with Eastern titles.
#54CrankShaftPosted 11/9/2011 7:28:05 AM
Atlus made Catherine and it sold well for being a niche title. You have to offer people something new to get their attention. A lot of Japanese RPG's have flopped this generation because it's the same game and same story over and over and over. If the Japanese want to sell games they have to innovate. Take some chances. Western gamers want something fresh.
#55NemerlightPosted 11/9/2011 7:40:16 AM
If you actually bothered releasing more than few RPGs outside Japan im sure people would buy it. Seriously i dont care for story and such just translate it into decent english and i will buy it. For DS if you can btw.
---
Why is Sonic always running?
#56Harie0Posted 11/9/2011 5:10:30 PM
I think Japanese games do well in the US. I just think, it doesn't do as well as they expect. I also think it's been rather typical for most people to really only buy one kind of game. Most people, that I've seen, that call themselves gamers, have usually stuck to one type of genre occasionally sprawling out to a few others. So people here, the West, aren't as interested in video games as much as they are over there... what's the big deal?

It's like expecting US stuff to do as well as or better over there.... actually I think some things probably do. I just don't know since I don't live over there. Who would know?

Portables are treated here differently here for sure. There was one game (old arcade game) my wife has wanted to play again, but couldn't do to availability. At one point it was ported the PSP. She did not want me to get the game until I told her she could play it on the TV with the cords I had purchased for it.
---
http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/gentopic.php?board=510
#57ArpegiuzPosted 11/9/2011 6:48:06 PM
Before Microsoft came into the console business. It was very handy for us to discuss hardware and technology

So essentially MS broke the balance of gaming.
---
``'~-.,_,..-~'```'~~'```'~-.,_,.-~'``.,_,.-~'`-`'~-.,_,.-~'`~`'
#58xenogears100Posted 11/10/2011 5:50:54 PM
I don't like FPS games(its just the same formula year after year). I prefer story driven action/adventure games and rpg's. I only ever play FPS games when I'm stressed out and need to take it out on some people by shooting them online. The funny thing is that I always get top notch K/D ratios even though I'm not an avid FPS player, guess this shows how simplistic the FPS game genre is.

Nice to see I'm part of the unique crowd of gamers who aren't obsessed with the simple minded idea of picking up a gun and start shooting people over and over and over...
---
[b]Protected by: [URL=http://www.bitdefender.com]BitDefender Antivirus[/URL] and [URL=http://www.comodo.com]Comodo Firewall Pro[/URL][/b]