This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

XBL is bad for singleplayer

#1Dr_AaronPosted 11/10/2011 6:04:58 PM
Well I was talking to my friend the other day and surprisingly the topic of The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion came up; anyway a short while into the discussion he tells me of how he cannot complete the vampire quest... At first I'm laughing at him because he probably can't find the ingredients or something. But then he indulged that he has already done that and needs to meet with the character in Skingrad; and the problem is that his npc needed to continue is glitched out...

Now I said just download the latest patch, but then I discovered that he has the Xbox version and no XBL account. What can he do? Nothing. And yes he has the GOTY edition with some of the patches on it. Whilst the PS3 has a slightly more up to date version, it's pretty much the same case but it's worse off as it wasn't even supported at all.

Point is, games should have a reasonable amount of polish from the get go; online services have enabled publishers (devs don't make these decisions) an excuse to release games out too early as they can "fix" it up later. PC has had this practice for a long time now, though it's not like anyone ever agreed with it; it is just a shame that it had to spread to consoles. With Skyrim having a day 0 patch I am quite shocked that I will have the beta version with the disc that I (won't) buy, but it won't be a cool beta like RE 1.5 or HL2...

Keep this up you'll never get a full single player experience again unless you're hooked up to Microsoft's special cloud like a borg, and that is exactly what they want.

Now before you say create a silver account, not everyone has the ability to or wants to. It's as simple as that. Also it still benefits Microsoft as they sell your personal information.
#2iamjosh308Posted 11/10/2011 6:07:05 PM
Your post makes zero sense, sorry. I mean "special cloud like a borg" i mean wtf was this English?
---
i post my pc specs in my signature
#3Killah PriestPosted 11/10/2011 6:07:46 PM
if there was no live that quest would have stayed glitched FOREVER.
---
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.
#4GobizkuPosted 11/10/2011 6:09:31 PM
Explain how this is Microsoft's fault that your friend hasn't created a live account and downloaded the patch for a game Bethesda developed and published?
---
"Chaos Is Not Entropy...Chaos Is Continual Creation." -Praxis
Preparation For A Coming Darkness
#5YEMbotPosted 11/10/2011 6:12:27 PM
GoBiZkU posted...
Explain how this is Microsoft's fault that your friend hasn't created a live account and downloaded the patch for a game Bethesda developed and published?

FIVE YEARS AGO, I might add.
---
The Onion of Video Games:
www.thegamebottle.blogspot.com
#6TreewallerPosted 11/10/2011 6:13:09 PM
To be fair, the game is still buggy as hell even when patched.
---
"Hey Sockbaby! You wanna food up with us or what?!"
Game o' the Moment: Hannah Montana - The Movie Game
#7YEMbotPosted 11/10/2011 6:36:09 PM
Treewaller posted...
To be fair, the game is still buggy as hell even when patched.

Buggy? Yes.

Masterpiece anyway? Yes.
---
The Onion of Video Games:
www.thegamebottle.blogspot.com
#8Dr_Aaron(Topic Creator)Posted 11/10/2011 6:45:05 PM
iamjosh308 posted...
Your post makes zero sense, sorry. I mean "special cloud like a borg" i mean wtf was this English?

Cloud as in "Cloud computing" which is a term used for content stored over the internet on storage servers accessible by users. "borg" which is a pretty obvious shortened version of "cyborg" and also a term that is used in a certain science fiction television series; it makes sense in this context as I am implying that you need to be constantly connected to a piece of hardware almost on a human level.

Funny that you have to attack the only part of my post that was remotely subjective, because you can't think of a rebuttal.

Killah Priest posted...
if there was no live that quest would have stayed glitched FOREVER.

Yes, but there are MANY bugs and quirks in Oblivion that simply haven't been fixed, including a 450(?) hour playtime bug. All or most of them are known by Bethesda (especially the playtime bug), but it pretty much falls in to the category of "we already have your money so screw you". They have released quite a few good patches yes, but only to fix obvious stuff that causes uproars and makes them look bad. A other good example of this would be Modern Warfare 2 (although that's pretty much the publishers fault yet again, as well as I am sure that Zenimax negatively influences Bethesda's work too)

GoBiZkU posted...

Yes and no. It isn't really directly Microsoft's fault they are more of a indirect influence. That being said they are still after the bottom line and probably cut deals with publishers to monetize content over online services. They could have very easily set some good standards but they took the same steps and encouraged what the publishers are doing. Look at Team Fortress 2 for example, Valve wanted to give the update content to XBL for free, but Microsoft made it cost and now the game is down the drain. Now to directly answer, if the system wasn't closed I would be able to use the patch without logging in to Xbox live! I should be able to burn the patch on to a disc or copy it to flash memory and patch the game from there. Even with Team Fortress 2, what if wanted to keep it exclusively for LAN play? I'm screwed... It's all to serve their agenda of keeping you online so they have more control.
#9Astaroth211Posted 11/10/2011 6:51:13 PM
Patches are free and you don't need gold to download them. I don't see a problem.
---
./_\ .('''' ''''|'''' /_\ ..|''') /'''\ ''''|'''' |_|211
/ ....\ _)...|../..... \.|'''\ \_/....|...|....| GT: Astaroth1337
#10WinternovaPosted 11/10/2011 6:56:49 PM
Dr_Aaron posted...
Keep this up you'll never get a full single player experience again unless you're hooked up to Microsoft's special cloud like a borg, and that is exactly what they want.

You've got no clue what you're talking about - glitches have been in games since the dawn of gaming. It's nice that they can now correct those small problems after release, that way we don't end up with another situation like the Atari 7800 Impossible Mission debacle.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMKUUUvjjzo
Fan of: Steelers(AFC Champs), Red Wings(Central Champs)