This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So, I might be getting a 360 for Christmas and I have a few questions.

#1IonizerPosted 11/11/2011 12:41:29 AM(edited)
Keep in mind I've never had an Xbox before:

1. I've heard that if you're going to do any online gaming, you need the 250 GB version instead of the 4 GB version. Is this correct?

2. This is the bundle I'm currently looking at, is it good? Here: http://www.gamestop.com/xbox-360/consoles/xbox-250gb-console-holiday-bundle/98010
2a. Can this console connect to Wi-Fi as is?

3. There would be multiple people wanting to play online with the 360, me, my brother and possibly one of my sisters. Is this a problem?

4. Besides controllers (max 4 connected to one console at once, right?), are there any other accessories that are required/recommended?

5. The TV our current consoles (Wii and PS2) are hooked up to is a 20 inch (you measure diagonally, right?) Standard Definition TV. The Composite (Red, White, Yellow) input on the TV is broken, so we currently run our other consoles through an RF converter. Would this be okay for the 360?
5a. My sister owns, but is not currently using, a 19 inch HDTV (not sure on the resolution) with (as far as I know) working Component and HDMI inputs. Should I try to get her to let us use this as the "Gaming TV"? Is 19 inches (widescreen) too small for gaming, even if we'd never be sitting more than 6-7 feet from the TV (it's a small room)? She might not go for it, so I'd still like to know the answer to the previous question.

6. What are some "must have" games on the 360? Going all the way back to launch.
---
http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s166/Ionizer_1/squirrel.jpg
Carrier of Squirrel Flu
#2Ionizer(Topic Creator)Posted 11/11/2011 4:44:19 AM
Bump?
---
Carrier of Squirrel Flu
#3LapanuiPosted 11/11/2011 5:06:01 AM
1) I don't think a bigger HDD is required to play online games, but it is required if you plan on installing games to your HDD.

2) I would say it's pretty good. If you think you will enjoy Halo Reach and Fable III go ahead. A lot of people say Fable III isn't very good, but you can try it. I haven't played Halo Reach, but I think a lot of other people do and enjoy it.

2a) Yes it can connect via WiFi.

3) I would suggest you all create separate profiles. I've heard a lot of people having problems with family members sharing one profile and seems to cause arguments lol. Just make a profile for each of your family members that you know is going to play it.
Also, online gaming requires a Gold Subscription. I would suggest getting a Gold Family Pack if you all plan on playing online.

4) If people start adding you to your friends lists or you want to do the same with other players, you can use a Headset, create a party and talk to them. It's always good if you are playing team based games.

5) Not to sure about the RF Converter. Never used one for anything tbh and never owned one so I don't have much knowledge about this.

5a) You could always ask her and see what she says, couldn't hurt lol.

6) There are a ton of games you could try out. I will list a bunch of games from my collection that I would recommend getting:

The Elder Scrolls V : Skyrim
Modern Warfare 3
Grand Theft Auto IV
Bioshock 1 + 2
Battlefield 3
Dirt 2 + 3
Fallout 3
Fallout New Vegas
Crysis 2
RAGE
Dark Souls
Dead Island
L.A. Noire
Bully Scholarship Edition
Mirror's Edge
F.E.A.R 3
Just Cause 2
Borderlands
Red Faction: Guerrilla
Medal of Honor
Skate 2 + 3
Batman Arkham Asylum
Bayonetta
Red Dead Redemption
Assassin's Creed Series
Gears of War Series
Devil May Cry 4

You could also try out:

Alpha Protocol
Prey
Lost Odyssey
Crackdown 1 + 2
Mass Effect 1 + 2
Dead Space 1 + 2
Deus Ex Human Revolution
Enslaved
Forza Motorsport 4
Mafia II
Metro 2033
Ninja Gaiden II
Prince of Persia
Saints Row 1, 2 + 3
Splinter Cell Conviction
The Darkness
---
Intel i7 930 @ 3.2GHz, Zalman CNPS10X Extreme, EVGA x58 FTW Motherboard, Corsair Dominator 6GB DDR3, EVGA GTX 570, Corsair HX 650W Modular PSU.
#4skiguy1981Posted 11/11/2011 6:28:37 AM
5) you will not want to use a RF Converter on a 360 and to be honest i don't even think you can (you would have to buy one becuase I know it doesn't come with one). and 19" is very small to game on but if that is all you have that is all you have (I would recomend on upgrading, but if you don't have the money oh well)
---
The problem with Internet quotations is that many are not genuine. - Abraham Lincoln
#5SaraAB87Posted 11/11/2011 9:22:12 AM
You won't be able to see the text in games very well if you game on a standard definition TV. Overall the Xbox 360 isn't worth it unless you have a HDTV. There are 32 inch TV's available for around $200 now.
---
Apple Gamecenter username : SaraAB87
#6ShadyPosted 11/11/2011 10:10:30 AM
I just bought the holiday bundle, and it is a great deal. The new slim models are superior to the original 360s in every way.

You are definitely going to want to play on an HDTV using HDMI cables. It will blow your mind if you're used to nothing but standard definition.
#7SCREAMINGBEATSSPosted 11/11/2011 10:12:26 AM
You NEED Skyrim, Halo 3/Reach, FO:NV and Oblivion (GOTY Edition). Other than that it's whatever you're into but they're must haves imo.
---
Hahascream
http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/8391/hahascream.png
#8ShadyPosted 11/11/2011 10:17:23 AM
As for games, it depends on what you enjoy. Some of my personal favorites are Fallout 3 (and to a lesser extent, New Vegas), Dead Space 1&2, Red Dead Redemption, Gears of War trilogy, Left 4 Dead 1&2, Borderlands, Modern Warfare series, Singularity, The Saboteur.

For XBLA, check out Shadow Complex, Bastion, Limbo, and Trials HD.
#9Ionizer(Topic Creator)Posted 11/11/2011 5:36:33 PM
Thanks everyone. I have a few follow up questions now:

Are there any other bundles available besides the Halo:Reach + Fable III bundle that are worth looking into? Around the same $300 price point?

What is an Xbox Live Gold Family Pack? I know it costs $60 a year for Gold, does the Family Pack cost more?

Is the Slim Model Backwards Compatible with Xbox games? If so, are there any must-have games from last generation?

As for the TV thing, getting a new TV at this point is out of the question (unless we forgo the 360 for the TV which is stupid). Honestly, the room is small is enough that we'd mostly be sitting within 3 feet of the screen, is a 19" HDTV too small even then?
---
Carrier of Squirrel Flu
#10GamePlaya0622Posted 11/11/2011 8:38:19 PM
19" is gonna be a little bit on the small size even sitting close to it. You will barely be able to see text. I have a 42" and even them the text is sometimes way to small to make out.

As for the RF adapter, I'm pretty sure they don't even make those for any of this generation of consoles and it was hard to even find one for the PS2/GC back in the day. If you do find one it will probably be some cheap third party one that wouldn't even be worth the money.

I'd say just wait and save up some money to get a slightly better TV. Trust me I started my 360 on a 27" SD and I still regret not waiting to get a HDTV with it as well.
---
Computer in Quote / GamerTag/SteamID - OutsiderX2