This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Gaming Headset noob... X41's or Astros?

#1SaintSeiya7Posted 11/15/2011 4:11:17 PM
Hi everyone, as topic states, lately i've been interested in stepping up my gaming game and purchasing some headphones. I've been doing quite a bit of research but can't seem to find an unbiased or recent article. Nevertheless, I've heard great tthings of the x41's and the astro's but my question is: are these the best bang for the buck? I'd prefer for them to be under 250$ but the much cheaper the better.

To be honest, i've tried playing with headphones and i haven't had much results. I could hear footsteps but I didn't know where people were coming from, but I heard you get used to that later. Anyway I've also been on the market for some music ones. I was looking at potentially having an expensive pair that could be used for both my ipod/musical tastes as well as gaming but looks like thats very unlikely, especially cause i'd look like a fool having a microphone attached to my headset while jamming to my ipod. I'm not looking to get into pro-gaming or anything but I do want to run into a good gaming experience. I dont really have a preference with wired/wireless but as long as wireless can be as flawless as wired for the most part, I wouldn't mind them. If I could spend under 130ish for a good gaming headset that would be pretty cool and I could look into purchasing another headset for music listening purposes. Anyway, any of you guys have some input to give? Thanks alot in advance.
---
"It dont matter if you win by an inch, or a mile. Winning is winning" - Vin Diesel - Fast and the Furious
#2DuwstaiPosted 11/15/2011 4:21:36 PM
Astros are better. x41s are solid but are known to have problems like crackling, popping, and possible interference from routers or cordless phones in the same room. They fixed those problems in the updated model I believe they are the Px5s, but those are like 200.

If you want something for around 130, sounds like Tritton Ax 720s would be right up your alley. 130 or cheaper. Not as good as Px5s or Astros but great bang for the buck, and are simulated surround sound (same as px5 and astros). Solid sound quality for sure.
---
XBL: eL Sm3gmA ::: PSN: Smegtico
"so continue to not care, while a bunch of fat pre teen kids teabag you"- shrub999
#3SaintSeiya7(Topic Creator)Posted 11/15/2011 4:44:36 PM(edited)
wow, that is a great suggestion, guy! i looked at reviews for those and they address that the quality is up there with the x41's minus a few extra functions and the hissing/cracking problems. I have no set decision yet but on those I lean! Seems like its compatible for all my gaming needs for various platforms and at that price I can still afford a pair just for audiophile purposes down the road. P.S: someone referenced the Sharkoon X-Tatic True 5.1, out there with the Tritton 720's. Any more insight on those? just a quick glance and they have high reviews too and the pricing is about the same. What seems intriguing is the fact that it has 4 speakers per earphone(are all gaming headsets like this?) thanks alot!

EDIT: My main concern now is: are the sharktoons superior? I don't mind paying the extra dough if they are as superior as they look/sound but if it essentially the same thing then I guess i'll stick with the trittons. What do you recommend?
---
"It dont matter if you win by an inch, or a mile. Winning is winning" - Vin Diesel - Fast and the Furious
#4DuwstaiPosted 11/15/2011 5:03:08 PM
Sharkoon and Trittons are the same headphones. They get the parts from the same manufacturer and just make them look aesthetically different.

Sounds like the 4 speaker per hear headset would be the equivalent of Tritton Ax Pros (make sure they are the console version not pc version). I have the Pros myself and they have similar sound quality to the 720s... maybe a tad less if you are a real audiophile, but they have far superior directional positioning due to the 4 speakers in each ear. Allows you to pinpoint enemies based on gunfire, footsteps etc with much greater accuracy.

I thought they were more like 160 but if you can get them for cheaper I would recommend them.
---
"so continue to not care, while a bunch of fat pre teen kids teabag you"- shrub999
#5SaintSeiya7(Topic Creator)Posted 11/15/2011 5:16:49 PM
did some more research and actually found some vs topics ^ i didn't know the 720's and pro's were so similar yet so different. it seems like the 720's don't count with the 5.1 surround sound(the 4 speakers per earphone) is one inferior over the other? the 720's seem to be cheaper. if they truly are inferior, arent the sharktoons better than the 720's but equivalent to the ax pro's? let me know. Thanks!
---
#6zxrax_alt_1Posted 11/15/2011 5:30:02 PM
I know nothing about Sharktoons, but every audiophile I've ever known who has tried the AX Pros was absolutely disgusted by them and returned them within a few days. If you're at all concerned with sound quality this is NOT the headset for you. However, if you prefer directionality over audio quality, feel free to take the AX Pros.

Personally, I can't stand Tritton products. Madcatz is known for awful product quality and Trittons are no exception. The cables are terrible and the lack of comfort and weight of the headset are huge negatives for me.

If you're looking to go cheaper than Astros, I would highly recommend finding a used Astro Mixamp and the Turtle Beach HPX. The HPX has an awkward design when it comes to the speakers, but it delivers great sound quality, solid build quality, and at a pretty decent price as well. If you can find a used mixamp for $50 cheaper than market price you could be looking at a far superior headset for the same price as the AX Pros, as the HPX runs around $80.
---
Something clever here // Cool story, male sibling
GT: KHaN I Raage | Before you ask, check Den Kirson!
#7SaintSeiya7(Topic Creator)Posted 11/15/2011 6:11:49 PM(edited)
hmm the thing is as I said, I don't plan to get into pro-gaming or anything like that. I don't really take gaming too seriously and not sure if it would warrant a purchase of the most expensive/best headset in terms of gaming. I don't really consider myself an audiophile as I don't have much experience with headsets overall but I do like the performance boost they add to sound. I think what i'm looking for is something that is pretty good to the average gamer, with good sound as well as "surround sound positioning"(to determine position/movement of enemy) for a decent price, as I said I don't really want to shell out the big bucks other than for ACTUAL flawless music headphones down the road. If the astro's however, happened to be great for both gaming and listening to music, then I would probably go for them, but not sure if they warrant a purchase just for gaming purposes.

The thing which makes me worry is how some people bash some headsets, saying they are "Garbage" and what not and makes me second guess myself, but I guess its near impossible to get positive reviews from everyone. As I said, for gaming I just want a decently priced headset that gives me lesser problems and subpar sound quality(not the best but better than average)

Which makes me wonder: If I were to spend 300-400$ on some audiophile music headphones, would they be compatible at all with my 360. Anybody an expert when it comes to this?
---
#8DuwstaiPosted 11/15/2011 6:10:46 PM

I know nothing about Sharktoons, but every audiophile I've ever known who has tried the AX Pros was absolutely disgusted by them and returned them within a few days. If you're at all concerned with sound quality this is NOT the headset for you. However, if you prefer directionality over audio quality, feel free to take the AX Pros.

Personally, I can't stand Tritton products. Madcatz is known for awful product quality and Trittons are no exception. The cables are terrible and the lack of comfort and weight of the headset are huge negatives for me.

If you're looking to go cheaper than Astros, I would highly recommend finding a used Astro Mixamp and the Turtle Beach HPX. The HPX has an awkward design when it comes to the speakers, but it delivers great sound quality, solid build quality, and at a pretty decent price as well. If you can find a used mixamp for $50 cheaper than market price you could be looking at a far superior headset for the same price as the AX Pros, as the HPX runs around $80.

None of the console headsets (including Astros) are anywhere near audiophile quality, so thats a pretty biased remark against the Ax Pros. If you are an audiophile you should stay away from all of them. My suggestions are for the average console gamer who is not an audiophile.

I also agree that getting the astro mixamp and good quality headphones of your choice would be the best option undeniably, but it sounds like he doesnt want to spend that much. I would never buy anything like this used, but maybe he will.

To the TC the 720s and Pros are solid middle of the road headphones as far as the console headsets go. Not entry level stereo like Turtle Beach x12s, not the higher quality Astros.. but in the middle. 720s have a bit better sound quality, Pros have better directional positioning. Take your pick, its really up to you. If you arent an audiophile there is chance you wouldnt even be able to tell the difference.

If you are an audiophile, all of these headphones will disgust you, but if you are an average console gamer you will likely be very pleased with any of them.

And I would take Audio Technica AD700s over Turtle Beach HPXs any day. THey are around the same price IIRC.
---
#9DuwstaiPosted 11/15/2011 6:15:54 PM(edited)
Whoops new post lol.

If you are looking to get headphones down the line that are high grade for music, I would definitely suggest getting them now.

This is what you should do. Buy the Astro mixamp. Just the mixamp, not the A40 bundle that comes with their headphones. Will run you about $130. This will allow you to hook up most any headphones to use on consoles, and give you surround sound.

Then, buy your high grade headphones. Sennheisers, whatever you want. You can use those to listen to music, AND hook them up to the Astro mixamp to play your games and get much much better sound quality than Turtle Beaches, Astros, Trittons, any of them. Depending on the headphones, they probably wont come with a mic. Simple. Buy a 10 dollar snap on mic.

Bam. You have fantastic headphones that you can also use for gaming.

No sense in buying mediocre gaming headphones now, and spending big bucks on high grade music headphones later. Just get your music headhpones and buy the mixamp to use them on your consoles.
---
#10SaintSeiya7(Topic Creator)Posted 11/15/2011 6:30:03 PM(edited)
^ sounds like an excellent suggestion. This is exactly what I was looking for, I just didn't know what the purpose of the mixamp and all that was. So with the mixamp I can make any music headphone, console headset compatible? That is crazy talk. I assume that as long as I get some decent ones, I dont need to worry about sound positioning and quality? Any particular ones you recommend? I'm honestly willing to go under 400$, though i'd prefer under 300$ right now. I was thinking about getting these:

AIAIAI TMA-1 DJ Headphones

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00404H6DQ/ref=asc_df_B00404H6DQ1751870?smid=A1M0GZGHL8F7T8&linkCode=asn&creative=395129&creativeASIN=B00404H6DQ&tag=cnet_mp-2789-20

I was leaning towards the wireless beats but I heard they are overrated. I heard good things about those above. However: should I be looking to get USB or jack based headphones? Or are both compatible with the mixer? Also, will ANY mic snap on to pretty much all these music headphones? Thanks, you have all been so helpful!

EDIT: Also: does it matter which mixamp I make a move for? should I definitely shell out the extra money for the wireless 5.8 or has it been known to exhibit problems?

And should I be looking to get EVERYTHING new and flawless as to not risk things? Or can I get away with say a hardly worn pair of headphones/mixamp from amazon/ebay?
---