This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Gaming Headset noob... X41's or Astros?

#31DuwstaiPosted 11/16/2011 6:05:55 PM

Actually that's exactly what I want. Not sure if I can afford them before the holidays. So many games this month, plus I think I'm getting that R2D2 360.

And isn't the CES coming up? I think that's where they show off new headphones. Might just wait and see, looks like gaming headphones are really gaining popularity, so hopefully there's some competition to bring down prices or better products.

Still havent found a decent mic for those 595s?
---
XBL: eL Sm3gmA ::: PSN: Smegtico
"so continue to not care, while a bunch of fat pre teen kids teabag you"- shrub999
#32CapwnDPosted 11/16/2011 6:18:59 PM
not really. I don't like the clip on and I can't find a way for a boom to work well with it.
---
As Above, So Below
#33DuwstaiPosted 11/16/2011 9:59:04 PM
Whats wrong with the boom mic set up? Crappy mic quality or something else?
---
"so continue to not care, while a bunch of fat pre teen kids teabag you"- shrub999
#34CapwnDPosted 11/16/2011 10:20:43 PM
I don't have a boom mic to use. I mean I have some booms but no way to attach it.
---
As Above So Below
#35DuwstaiPosted 11/16/2011 10:36:54 PM
Those little velcro sticker things?
---
#36CapwnDPosted 11/16/2011 10:47:20 PM

Those little velcro sticker things?

hmm. That might work. any suggestions on a boom?
---
As Above So Below
#37zxrax_alt_1Posted 11/16/2011 11:07:04 PM

None of the console headsets (including Astros) are anywhere near audiophile quality, so thats a pretty biased remark against the Ax Pros. If you are an audiophile you should stay away from all of them. My suggestions are for the average console gamer who is not an audiophile.

That's a fair point, but they've all been at least satisfied by most products for the price, the AX Pros being the exception. I'd take a pair of headphones with a large soundstage and good quality that could be used for anything (gaming, music, movies etc) over a dedicated gaming headset with subpar quality but better directionality any day. Just my two cents, of course.

I also agree that getting the astro mixamp and good quality headphones of your choice would be the best option undeniably, but it sounds like he doesnt want to spend that much. I would never buy anything like this used, but maybe he will.

Of course, you wouldn't want to buy the actual headphones used, but I see no reason not to purchase the mixamp used, as long as you can verify that it's in working condition prior to purchase.

And I would take Audio Technica AD700s over Turtle Beach HPXs any day. They are around the same price IIRC.

The AD700s are a bit more expensive and don't come with an integrated mic, which I was shooting for mostly for convenience's sake.

Which makes me wonder: If I were to spend 300-400$ on some audiophile music headphones, would they be compatible at all with my 360. Anybody an expert when it comes to this?

Any pair of headphones can be made compatible with the proper equipment. Examples of said equipment include the Astro Mixamp and the Turtle Beach DSS. However, you may want to steer clear of truly high end headphones because not only will you need the mixamp, but you'll want to purchase a dedicated amp to get the quality you're looking for.

Then, buy your high grade headphones. Sennheisers, whatever you want. You can use those to listen to music, AND hook them up to the Astro mixamp to play your games and get much much better sound quality than Turtle Beaches, Astros, Trittons, any of them. Depending on the headphones, they probably wont come with a mic. Simple. Buy a 10 dollar snap on mic.

This.

I would get these in a heartbeat if I were you... but thats just me.

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD-650-Lightweight-Audiophile/dp/B00018MSNI/ref=sr_1_22?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1321410395&sr=1-22

$360 right now.

Personally, I'd steer clear of headphones that high end if you're getting them for gaming. That's a lot more money than you want to spend, plus to use them for anything other than gaming you're almost certainly going to need a dedicated amp.

He talked me into getting the HD595 even though I already have the Astro A40. I'm torn between those two because I like the mic on the A40 so I might just get the Sennheiser PC360 and either keep my HD595 for music only or give them to my son as a gift.

I f***ing love my PC360s. <3
---
Something clever here // Cool story, male sibling
GT: KHaN I Raage | Before you ask, check Den Kirson!