This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Best Surround Sound Gaming Headset?

#1Cal873Posted 11/22/2011 1:05:59 PM
So what, in everyone's opinion, is the best surround sound gaming headset currently on the market? I own a pair of Triton AX720's, but i am getting tired of the cords and they hurt my head after only like an hour of wearing them.

Price is not really a factor. I'm willing to pay for the top of the line, considering that mid grade sets aren't much cheaper than the top ones. I've only used my Triton's, but i've been hearing/ reading about the PX5, Astro A40, XP500, and the Earforce Delta. Does anyone have any experience with those? Or can give me a recommendation?

Wireless is a huge plus....not a deal breaker, but i would greatly prefer it.

I game on both PS3 and 360, but from my understanding just about all top line headsets are compatible on both now.
---
Wii- Lurch, FC:8710,9537,9844,5034
XBL: The LeBlanc, PSN: TheLeBlanc
#2CapwnDPosted 11/22/2011 1:19:12 PM
This is what I recommend:

--Astro Mixamp + either the Astro A40(includes mic) for $250 or even better would be the Astro Mixamp + Sennheiser PC360(includes mic) for $310 Or you can use the Astro mixamp + your favorite headphones such as Sennheiser HD595 and then use a separate mic, some people like the clip-on mics you can find at amazon (about the same price as Mixamp + PC360).
--Turtle Beach XP500 $250
--Turtle Beach PX5 $225
--Triton AX Pro $160
--Turtle Beach X12 $55
---
ready for a bit of the o' ultra-violence
#3CapwnDPosted 11/22/2011 1:21:46 PM
And just so you know there's varying degree's of wireless:

Truly wireless, even from controller to the headset: XP500
Wireless, except from controller to headset: PX5 (also X41 or X31)
Wireless from the 360 to the base unit, but wired from base unit to the headset and to the controller: Astro wireless mixamp
---
#4DuwstaiPosted 11/22/2011 4:02:22 PM
Astro mixamp and genuinely good quality headhpones like Sennheisers will be much better than any of those dedicated gaming headsets.

If money is no object, its a no brainer. Now you just need to look into what headphones you want. You can go for something like Sennheiser 595s/ PC360s... or pretty much any music quality headphones.
---
XBL: eL Sm3gmA ::: PSN: Smegtico
"so continue to not care, while a bunch of fat pre teen kids teabag you"- shrub999
#5Cal873(Topic Creator)Posted 11/23/2011 9:06:09 AM
I'll continue to look into all the recommendations, thanks for the responses.
---
Wii- Lurch, FC:8710,9537,9844,5034
XBL: The LeBlanc, PSN: TheLeBlanc
#6CapwnDPosted 11/23/2011 10:02:28 AM
You can check youtube for opinions too. People love to talk about their headphones, and love to compare them.
---
#7mistapohlPosted 11/23/2011 11:55:47 AM
CaPwnD posted...
This is what I recommend:

--Astro Mixamp + either the Astro A40(includes mic) for $250 or even better would be the Astro Mixamp + Sennheiser PC360(includes mic) for $310 Or you can use the Astro mixamp + your favorite headphones such as Sennheiser HD595 and then use a separate mic, some people like the clip-on mics you can find at amazon (about the same price as Mixamp + PC360).

I can vouch for the amp + premium headphone route. After getting a pair of AX720's and being disgusted by them for lack of bass input. I decided to mix and match my own setup. I did look at the mixamp and for the money and research I did, I couldnt justify buying it when the Ear Force DSS 7.1 Channel Dolby Surround Sound Processor was significantly cheaper and had fewer functions that I didn't care about. I paid 80 for it last year. It's on amazon for $69 now.

For headphones, I went all out. I wanted some really nice studio quality headphones but were comfortable enough for gaming. I searched high and low for recommendations and a lot of gamers were raving about the Sennheiser HD595's. I got a remarkable deal on them from an amazon 3rd party seller. They were $295 at the time, but I got a pair of Sennheiser HD 428'S for free with my order, ($50 dollars at the time), so I felt like it was a bonus lol.

The headphones and turtle beach mixamp were better than I expected. The amp has seperate volume controls which was nice, and I then tweaked other sounds in the games as necessary. The comfort of the 595's are absolutely amazing, the sounds are crisp and the bass can be set to your preference on the mixamp. Although they dont have the 7 speakers in each earcup, They have absolutely no problem replicating surround sound. I am able to hear footsteps, and gunfire and know exactly where they are at all times. The coolest part about this set is when jets are flying across the map, you can "sense" them flying from one part of the map to the other. It was pretty awesome. They are absolutely the best pair of headphones I've ever owned. I use this setup for XBOX, PS3, and PC, and is especially useful when you don't want to wake up my cranky neighbors, but still hear EVERYTHING.

There are a few cons to this setup.

The first is the microphone issue. On my PC and PS3, this really isn't an issue for me as I have the standalone webcam for the PS3. The mic on this thing is excellent. I just place the microphone on the coffee table and speak naturally and the other people in my game can hear me fine. There are driver downloads to make this webcam run on pc as well so same thing. Just plop it on the desk and you'll be ok.

For the 360, I had to get a bit more imaginative. If anyone else knows of a workaround for this please contribute, but for me i have the wireless mic and hook it around a button loop on my shirt, or hang it off the collar of my t-shirt. I route the audio through my speakers (headphones) in the dashboard settings of the xbox.

The second would be the running of the cords, (fiber optic audio connection, usb connection, headphone cord). This setup can get a bit crazy with the cords, if not properly managed. I bought a 6 or 8 foot optical cable and a 6-8 foot usb cable so I can game on the couch and have the cords reach from the mixamp to the tv. Depending on your setup, you may need less cordage. The headphone cordage on the HD595's are plenty.

My current setup:

Ear Force DSS 7.1 Channel Dolby Surround Sound Processor - 69.99

http://www.amazon.com/Force-Channel-Dolby-Surround-Processor-Mac/dp/B003O0KICS/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

The seller at the time was Z Electria for my headphones.

Sennheiser HD 595 - 239.74
http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD595-Performance-Premiere-Headphones/dp/B0001FTVE0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1322077640&sr=8-1

$309.73 total for my setup + cordage.

good luck!
#8stomponyaheadPosted 11/23/2011 11:59:32 AM

XP 500 hands down.

#9CapwnDPosted 11/23/2011 1:58:04 PM

XP 500 hands down.

Well... for wireless convenience maybe. . How's that wireless connection from the controller to the headset? Bluetooth right? Does it work well?
---
#10KnifegashPosted 11/23/2011 2:51:49 PM
I was recommended the Turtle Beach PX21s on this site.

They were great, for about a month. Then I heard a crackling in the left earphone every time the bass came on. I'm on my second replacement and it's starting to do it. Freaking toys, man.
---
Isn't that right, Zach?
http://tinyurl.com/5vsjbj6