This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is the Sharp AQUOS a decent hdtv for gaming?

#1Mothra820Posted 11/25/2011 5:40:32 PM
Is it decent with things like lag, response time, overall picture quality?

I'm looking to buy a 60 inch LCD HDTV.

I believe it has a game mode known as Vyper Drive, if it makes any difference.

Looking to get this one here in particular:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sharp+-+AQUOS+/+60%26%2334%3B+Class+/+LCD+/+1080p+/+120Hz+/+HDTV/3641541.p?id=1218422888626&skuId=3641541
---
Keep staring, I might do a trick.
#2RetroDruidPosted 11/25/2011 5:45:34 PM
It's not bad. I prefer Samsung myself. And theres a lot of 46 inch 120hz Samsungs for that price and cheaper.

But not that big. For the size it's a good deal. I'd go with the Smart Samsung LCD myself. I've had 2 Samsungs so far and all have been better than my other Sharp AQUOS (Plasma), Sony Bravia and .. can't think of it but some other HDTV I had.

It's still a good deal for the price. If you can afford to spend a little more, the $999 special is a pretty sweet deal.
---
http://b0.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/00891/03/88/891048830_l.jpg
Word up :P
#3Mothra820(Topic Creator)Posted 11/25/2011 5:56:54 PM
t's not bad. I prefer Samsung myself. And theres a lot of 46 inch 120hz Samsungs for that price and cheaper.

But not that big. For the size it's a good deal. I'd go with the Smart Samsung LCD myself. I've had 2 Samsungs so far and all have been better than my other Sharp AQUOS (Plasma), Sony Bravia and .. can't think of it but some other HDTV I had.

It's still a good deal for the price. If you can afford to spend a little more, the $999 special is a pretty sweet deal.

I've played on a samsung 42" plasma at my sisters house and actually find it to be a bit small lol, so I'm wanting to go really big this first time around. (First hdtv I'll get btw). So would you personally recommend a Sharp AQUOS for a gaming hdtv? How do they handle things like input lag, response time, and what not...
---
#4RycerXPosted 11/25/2011 6:00:18 PM
Whew, that's a lunker. Sharp is very good with minimizing input lag, particularly the Aquos models with the vyper drive, which is designed specifically with gamers in mind. My D78UN works wonderfully for gaming. It isn't as nice as a good Sammy or Sony when it comes to movies and television, but it gets the job done.

If you go with that set, make sure to plug your hdmi cable into input 5, as that is the only port which actually feeds into the vyper drive. That's the case with mine, at least. Also make sure you turn off all preprocessing functions (fine motion, edge enhancement, etc.) and keep it in game mode while you're gaming. Altogether, you get virtually zero input lag, none perceivable by the naked eye anyway.
#5gorilla47Posted 11/25/2011 6:16:30 PM
I'm not helping you, aren't you that giant moth who keeps giving Godzilla a hard time
---
A Mod/Admin replied on 11/5/2011 6:06:56 PM:
Telling other users to smell your ass is trolling. End of story.
#6Mothra820(Topic Creator)Posted 11/25/2011 6:26:47 PM
Whew, that's a lunker. Sharp is very good with minimizing input lag, particularly the Aquos models with the vyper drive, which is designed specifically with gamers in mind. My D78UN works wonderfully for gaming. It isn't as nice as a good Sammy or Sony when it comes to movies and television, but it gets the job done.

If you go with that set, make sure to plug your hdmi cable into input 5, as that is the only port which actually feeds into the vyper drive. That's the case with mine, at least. Also make sure you turn off all preprocessing functions (fine motion, edge enhancement, etc.) and keep it in game mode while you're gaming. Altogether, you get virtually zero input lag, none perceivable by the naked eye anyway.

Which set you referring to? Yours or the 60" one?? How do ya know which port feeds into vyper drive? I've read the owner manuals for both yours and the one I'm looking into and I don't see anything about vyper drive on either one even though sharp says they have it. All I really see is a game mode option under AV MODE.
---
#7LandonioPosted 11/25/2011 6:29:00 PM
Just don't play online shooters on it.
---
All you gotta do is look in da tree.
ROLL TIDE
#8ShamblerQPosted 11/25/2011 7:02:16 PM(edited)
gorilla47 posted...
I'm not helping you, aren't you that giant moth who keeps giving Godzilla a hard time

LOL! I wouldn't help you either, after all, you drug Godzilla under the ocean and he never came back up (King Kong vs Godzilla).
#9RycerXPosted 11/25/2011 7:15:11 PM
Mothra820 posted...
Which set you referring to? Yours or the 60" one?? How do ya know which port feeds into vyper drive? I've read the owner manuals for both yours and the one I'm looking into and I don't see anything about vyper drive on either one even though sharp says they have it. All I really see is a game mode option under AV MODE.

I had a pdf brochure with the system specs in it, but I'll be damned if I haven't lost it. Well anyway, you'll be able to tell on the back of the tv, because input 5 is the one that's isolated from all the others and the port is facing perpendicular to the tv, so you sort of plug it in sideways into a little crevice.