This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

what is my best option for a memory upgrade on the 4GB console...

#11CapwnDPosted 11/29/2011 9:07:50 PM(edited)

CaPwnD posted...
These violate the TOU and you could technically be banned from XBL:
non-official MS HDD
old official MS HDD, but take it out of the case.

Source please.

OK well you tell me.

Are you saying that it is not against the terms of use to take your original 360 HDD out of the case and use it in a slim? And you're saying that you can use a 3rd party HDD instead of an official MS HDD?

Because I've seen posts on the Xbox.com boards by support staff saying otherwise. Cannot find it now but I just saw a post like that weeks ago and linked it in a similar topic.

Edit: Here's a sticky from the Xbox.com forums:
http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox_support/f/7/t/4558.aspx
---
caught in a mosh
#12CapwnDPosted 11/29/2011 9:11:06 PM

What I have many friends using there phat hdd in slim casing there never been banned and right now i'm using WD 320gb in my slim no problem and haven't been banned.I just never heard of MS being able to tell if your using there hdd or not.

Ok, I was just relaying the information I have seen.

Will you get banned? Probably not. Does it appear that it is possible? Yes. Do you want to take that risk? Up to you.
---
caught in a mosh
#13GobizkuPosted 11/29/2011 9:51:21 PM
CaPwnD posted...
OK well you tell me.

Are you saying that it is not against the terms of use to take your original 360 HDD out of the case and use it in a slim? And you're saying that you can use a 3rd party HDD instead of an official MS HDD?

Because I've seen posts on the Xbox.com boards by support staff saying otherwise. Cannot find it now but I just saw a post like that weeks ago and linked it in a similar topic.

Edit: Here's a sticky from the Xbox.com forums:
http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox_support/f/7/t/4558.aspx

1. That guy is a support agent, not an enforcement agent. He has 0 control over bans in the first place.
2. The plastic casing on a hard drive is not hardware, which is something he overlooks. I wouldn't get banned for putting my Xbox in a different case, it would simply void the warranty. This really is not different.
3. It clearly states attempting to use for other purposes, which again, he overlooks. Using an official 360 HDD as a 360 HDD IS its' intended purpose.
4. It doesn't mention unofficial HDDs either, which you're well within your right as a consumer to use. Just don't call MS if the HDD is faulty, as they don't cover other manufacturer's products.

Until a PET member comments on that, I would advise people to be careful, but that guy's word is not law here since I've never heard of a single person being banned for doing this.
---
"Chaos Is Not Entropy...Chaos Is Continual Creation." -Praxis
Preparation For A Coming Darkness
#14CapwnDPosted 11/30/2011 4:22:28 AM
http://cache.ohinternet.com/images/e/e6/Okay_guy.jpg
---
caught in a mosh
#15CammyApplePosted 11/30/2011 4:35:24 AM
Wait... the plastic casing is not part of the hardware? I guess the metal casing and the connections aren't either. ~ To use an old HDD in a slim falls under "system tampering". It's assinine, but it's true. ~ Will you get banned for it, probably not. But if it happens the warnings were there.
#16ab2c4Posted 11/30/2011 6:59:42 AM(edited)
Just so I understand this correctly, and correct me if I am wrong:

1. So if you have a 4gb Slim you can install/use two 16gb flash drives.
2. You can install games on the flash drives, not just save data.
3. Having these flash drives would allow you to have an Xbox Live Gold account and play online.
4. Using a non officially licenced usb flash drive (such as Patriot Xporter) is allowed by Microsoft.

Are any of these three statements incorrect?
---
P5Q Pro Turbo | q9550 | 4gb DDR2 800Mhz | EVGA GTX 470 | Corsair 750TX | Crucial C300 128gb SSD | Antec 902
Join the PCH F@H team 130787 today!
#17CapwnDPosted 11/30/2011 10:21:21 AM

3. Having these flash drives would allow you to have an Xbox Live Gold account and play online.
4. Using a non officially licenced usb flash drive (such as Patriot Xporter) is allowed by Microsoft.

That's all correct, except for 3 because you don't need anything other than the 4gb console to go online.

You can do all of that without the flash drives too, if you have enough space on your 4gb. I mean you don't need the flash drives at all other than for space (yes there are full sized disc games that you could install on a 4gb console. Apache Air Assault, for example).

One thing to keep in mind, the 4gb console doesn't have an HDD. Using flash memory still means you don't have an HDD. You need an HDD to do some things. And it has to be an official MS HDD, or you need to at least get the files needed onto a non-official HDD if you want to take that risk.

Some things you can't do without an HDD:
--Install the texture pack for Battlefield 3
--Play ODST or Halo 3 co-op campaign online. Reach was patched. You can still play multiplayer, and you can still do co-op splitscreen but not co-op campaign (or firefight) online or over LAN.
--play original Xbox games. Even if you download them from GoD, you need the official MS HDD to play them.

And I believe there's a few other things.
---
ready for a bit of the o' ultra-violence
#18ab2c4Posted 11/30/2011 1:05:15 PM
CaPwnD posted...

That's all correct, except for 3 because you don't need anything other than the 4gb console to go online.

You can do all of that without the flash drives too, if you have enough space on your 4gb. I mean you don't need the flash drives at all other than for space (yes there are full sized disc games that you could install on a 4gb console. Apache Air Assault, for example).

One thing to keep in mind, the 4gb console doesn't have an HDD. Using flash memory still means you don't have an HDD. You need an HDD to do some things. And it has to be an official MS HDD, or you need to at least get the files needed onto a non-official HDD if you want to take that risk.

Some things you can't do without an HDD:
--Install the texture pack for Battlefield 3
--Play ODST or Halo 3 co-op campaign online. Reach was patched. You can still play multiplayer, and you can still do co-op splitscreen but not co-op campaign (or firefight) online or over LAN.
--play original Xbox games. Even if you download them from GoD, you need the official MS HDD to play them.

And I believe there's a few other things.

Thank you for the very detailed response.
---
P5Q Pro Turbo | q9550 | 4gb DDR2 800Mhz | EVGA GTX 470 | Corsair 750TX | Crucial C300 128gb SSD | Antec 902
Join the PCH F@H team 130787 today!
#19popping4itPosted 11/30/2011 1:20:59 PM
http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/64026/gamestop-250gb-xbox-360-hard-drive

$80
---
Still hoping for a Shenmue 3.