This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Anyone else finding it harder and harder to pay for Gold?

#1VerySadPandaPosted 12/17/2011 3:41:13 AM(edited)
I've had an on and off relationship with Live for a while. Sometimes I'll pay for a month or two, sometimes I'll leave it alone for a long time. When the Xbox first came out, It didn't bother me so much. PSN was generally crap at the time with almost nothing, not even trophies. Now, It's still not as good, but PSN has improved a lot these last few years...minus the hack. My question is, is it still worth it while being better by such a small degree?

This has been a center of debate for a long time. Some people think it is, others do not. I was on the fence, but It's always been in the back of my mind and a couple of times I cut off the service for this reason.

Now, the PS Vita is out and it has many features that rival if not surpass Live. Party chat, cross game chat, the features that many touted as the reason they prefer live over PSN, are now irrelevant. Vita has them all, for free. I actually thought they would end up charging for it, they didn't.

Sure, it's a new console and a handheld but if PSN can be completely free for that, why not the 360? Seems this has gone on long enough. Online play, should at the very least, be free. I'm not opposed to a premium membership that does not include online play or cross chat, like the Vita. I'd probably pay for it.

Cost isn't as an issue so much as the audacity for charging for something almost everyone else does free at this point.

Thoughts?
#2MonkeyFridayPosted 12/17/2011 3:46:37 AM
Good luck... People will defend Live till death its pay to play, use generally free stuff on other consoles, etc. is here to stay.
---
Duke of Friday, Ambassador of the Imga race... Future rulers of Tamriel
#3YAMI_ANUBIS_XPosted 12/17/2011 3:51:08 AM
Xbox 360 has Halo, which is enough for me to pay for live if its 40-50 dollars for a year.
---
GT: Yami Anubis X I believe that is it
3DS FC:1891-1173-7323 Name YamiAnubiX
#4StealthyVlad101Posted 12/17/2011 3:57:11 AM
Nope.
---
There are many worlds, but they all share the same sky, one sky one wish. GT and PSN: StealthyVlad
#5GLAMPIREPosted 12/17/2011 4:13:43 AM
Pay to play is fine but with all these online passes now, to me it makes me wonder why I Pay for an Xbox live subscription then. I mean... my stepson and me play the same kind of games and we both have Xbox live but now with online passes to be able to play online we either have to buy two copies of a game, or buy the pass to play when the other one wants to. It makes no sense to me. I will be honest. I am not renewing my Xbox Live subscription next year.
---
XBL Gamertag Andii Vamp
PSN ID andii_vamp
#6stawg007Posted 12/17/2011 4:42:17 AM
GLAMPIRE posted...
Pay to play is fine but with all these online passes now, to me it makes me wonder why I Pay for an Xbox live subscription then. I mean... my stepson and me play the same kind of games and we both have Xbox live but now with online passes to be able to play online we either have to buy two copies of a game, or buy the pass to play when the other one wants to. It makes no sense to me. I will be honest. I am not renewing my Xbox Live subscription next year.

this

online passes are ridiculous
---
Number of idiotic posts made by SS as of 15/10/11 = 10
$100 says he breaks the 50 mark by New Years
#7yanksfan4247Posted 12/17/2011 4:43:27 AM
This is a terrible topic. Once you brought up the Vita, I just couldn't stop laughing.

If you stuck to PS3 or Steam like regular arguments that would have been fine but bringing up the PSV? Hahahaha.
---
http://gamercards.exophase.com/69396.png
#8VanderZooPosted 12/17/2011 4:48:19 AM(edited)

This is a terrible topic. Once you brought up the Vita, I just couldn't stop laughing.

If you stuck to PS3 or Steam like regular arguments that would have been fine but bringing up the PSV? Hahahaha.

What are you laughing at, Vita has all the same features of Xbox Live Gold and more, for free.
---
I'm not a hero, a hero is a sandwich.
#9ponderingcowPosted 12/17/2011 4:48:16 AM
yanksfan4247 posted...

This post is terrible. As soon as you posted I just couldn't stop laughing
---
Sales and reviews mean everything unless it is something you don't like
#10BeefEasterPosted 12/17/2011 6:03:30 AM
VanderZoo posted...

What are you laughing at, Vita has all the same features of Xbox Live Gold and more, for free.

yeah, on a handheld that no one's gonna buy