This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I want opinions on games I am deciding on

#1ozranPosted 12/17/2011 10:28:07 PM
I am gonna be able to get at least two games as early Birthday gifts and I wanted some opinions on my choices. the choices are:

Gears of War 3
Rage
Alan Wake
Metal Gear Solid HD Collection
Dead Rising 2: Off The Record

I can also pre-order The Darkness II

If anyone has any opinions on the games I listed or can suggest a game that would be great. I really only play Action, RPG and FPS games
---
That does it! I have had it with these mother****ing trolls on this mother****ing board!!! -mercuryblade09
#2Wolverine2021Posted 12/17/2011 10:35:27 PM
Gears 3, MGS Collection
#3Reel_Big_MikePosted 12/17/2011 10:37:40 PM(edited)
I've played all of these games, and Gears of War 3 and Alan Wake are are easily my choices if I could only pick two. After that it would go Rage, Pre-Order The Darkness II, Metal Gear Solid HD Collection, and Dead Rising 2: Off the Record. But, like I said, I think that Gears 3 and Alan Wake are both far ahead of anything else on your list.
#4zinsindettaPosted 12/17/2011 10:42:57 PM
Alan Wake and Gears 3
---
Gamertag/PSN - http://gamercards.exophase.com/31441.png
http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/CareerStats/default.aspx?player=SinZinDetta
#5Optimus_ConvoyPosted 12/17/2011 10:48:35 PM
I'd go with Gears and Metal gear myself. Alan Wake was more like Alan Snooze. Rage though good, was missing a story and ending. I haven't played DR2: ORT but it can't be that different from DR2(no clue if ya played plain DR2) other than Frank and sandbox mode.
---
UMVC 3 = overrated garbage, KoF XIII = Beast
"The Highlander was a Documentary and it's events happened in real time" -Master Shake
#6shawnmckPosted 12/17/2011 11:00:19 PM
It would be more helpful to know your gaming preferences.

Gears of War 3 = Great game. I would recommend this if you are a fan of the previous two, or like 3rd person shooters.

Rage = Great FPS with some nice quests, but is dragged down by mandatory racing sequences & a lackluster final mission & crummy ending. I would still recommend if you like FPS shooters & the post-apocalyptic wasteland theme.

Alan Wake = A Good 3rd person shooter that tries to be scary, and sometimes succeeds with a cool atmosphere & pitch-dark environments, but can also get too repetitive for it's own good. I would recommend this if you like games like Resident Evil &/or Silent Hill.

Metal Gear Solid HD Collection = You are aware that this is a compilation of games from previous gens, right? The graphics (even though in HD) are quite dated.

Dead Rising 2: Off The Record = This game is tough for me, cause while I like it, I am also bored to tears by it. It has a nice open world feel to it, but it gets very repetitive, and also too ridiculous at times. Sometimes I like it, sometimes I want to just toss it in the garbage can it is so annoying. I would only recommend this game if you really enjoy open world sand-box games, and don't mind repetition.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Other recommendations......

Dead Island = Good game that is somewhat open world + zombie apocalypse + melee combat. I personally enjoy this game a lot.
#7ozran(Topic Creator)Posted 12/17/2011 11:16:32 PM
anyone else?
---
That does it! I have had it with these mother****ing trolls on this mother****ing board!!! -mercuryblade09
#8RagnarDevoninPosted 12/18/2011 4:47:34 AM
Gears of War 3: If you've played either of the first two, you should have a pretty good idea what you're getting into here. Personally, I enjoyed this one a lot more than either of the others and even though I've never been a fan of its' versus I've still played the VS. more in Gears 3 than 1 and 2 combined. It also seems to have, generally, far more to do (I've got more hours in Gears 3 than 1 & 2, despite not touching the MP very much. Horde, Beast, Campaign, Arcade, etc.. ).

As far as gameplay, a cover-based 3rd person shooter that out of all the ones I've played seems to have the most variety (weapons, and enemies since you fight two different factions) and best cover mechanics. I'd recommend you pick this as 1 of the 2.

Rage: I've only played the demo (which you should pick up and try before you buy this for sure), but personally I wasn't too fond of it. I've never liked the games from this company, I don't know what it is about them but they just aren't as fun compared to other shooters I enjoy like RB6V, Counter-Strike, Half-Life, Halo, Borderlands, etc.

I really did wish to like this game, especially with the addition of that TCG mini-game and the open-endedness of it but after the minigame was horribly disappointing, the gunplay lackluster, and the racing more boring than I usually find racing games I'm going to pass on this one. I wouldn't recommend it.

Alan Wake: From what I've seen, this game is a huge hit or a huge miss for most people. If you like third person action games with a creepy atmosphere, I'd say get it. DO NOT get it for the 'survival' aspect unless you plan to start, and play, on Hard. On normal, you get so much ammo that there really never feels like you have to conserve anything. On the hardest difficulty (Nightmare) even, maybe it was just my playstyle, but I never really had ammo problems there either. I just ran out of throwables here and there.

It does have a great atmosphere and I give props to the storyline/game for trying something different. The game is short, and pretty easy to complete which is a downside but this is balanced out (at least for me) because by the end of normal, the gameplay was starting to get repetitive. Nightmare changed it up a bit, but even half way through nightmare the feeling returned and it was a bit of a struggle to complete it. If you're an achievement junkie, know that most of them are easy and the only ones I had problem with were the collection ones... because I hate collectable-based achievements.

The 2 DLC (one free if you buy it NEW, at least I got it when I picked it up last spring from amazon.com) does add more story, and some elements that change up the gameplay (like a platforming section) I'd say are worth making sure you have also. I'd recommend this as the 2nd of your 2 games.

Metal Gear Solid HD Collection: I don't have this per-se (played PS1/PS2 versions) but if you've never played MGS before then I'd say this is a good way to start as long as you pick up MGS1 or MGS:The Twin Snakes on the PS1/GC first. MGS3 is a great game in its' own right, and I'll probably pick up the remakes JUST for MGS3 eventually. I can't say I'd recommend getting it yet though, wait for it to drop in price.

Dead Rising 2: Off The Record: I have DR2, but even at $39.99 I don't think there is enough to warrant a purchase unless you haven't played DR2. If you haven't played DR2, pick this up. DR2, I found, is much better than the first DR. Skip DR2 itself unless you'd just like to get the whole story because the additions in OtR make DR2 kind of moot. Sort of like the Pokemon games. The newer (3rd) version usually outshines the initial 2 by leaps and bounds.

I can't comment really on The Darkness. I thought the demo of the first game was okay but nothing to write home about so I don't even remotely have a clue about The Darkness 2.

As for other recommendations (if you don't have them already): Dead Island, Borderlands, and The Orange Box.
#9Delta ZeroPosted 12/18/2011 6:00:29 AM
Gears 3 for sure. The other between Alan and MGS.
---
http://www.xboxgamertag.com/gamercard/xxdelta%20zeroxx/fullnxe/card.png
#10Alcoholic59Posted 12/18/2011 6:10:57 AM
Alan Wake