This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

With all these "hack" threads...

#1nozomi429Posted 1/7/2012 3:26:50 PM
(Sry, another one.)

What causes an account to be targeted? Many of the compromised accounts had CC or PP linked to them.

How do the hackers know who to target? How can I keep myself from being targeted?

(Other than the whole, single unique password, different GT name than e-mail username, use prepaid XBL cards only, etc., all of which I already do.)
---
Syd. Nozomi. Rabid. Zombie.
#2djwagonPosted 1/7/2012 3:31:01 PM
simple it called a ea hack .what that means if you use the same password and e-mail for LIVE and ea .I would switch that around so .they do not match up.the get the info from ea .they then take over your account take all your ms points .if you where dumb enough to leave your cc info on there .they buy up all the stuff they can till you as owner of that cc info NOTICES payment not made by you
---
when I was here before I went by the screen name IMPORTER1..
this is my set-up http://s164.photobucket.com/albums/u28/importer1/
#3Cellski916Posted 1/7/2012 3:33:54 PM
djwagon posted...
simple it called a ea hack .what that means if you use the same password and e-mail for LIVE and ea .I would switch that around so .they do not match up.the get the info from ea .they then take over your account take all your ms points .if you where dumb enough to leave your cc info on there .they buy up all the stuff they can till you as owner of that cc info NOTICES payment not made by you

does battlelog count?
#4Moss_27Posted 1/7/2012 3:36:36 PM
This is only speculation, but when game forums are hacked (EA, Bioware, whoever else) they acquire the username and password, and at least from EA they can see the GT that is attached to the username/password. I'd guess that these hackers spend hours trying to find people who have matching xbl/ea forum passwords and attack the ones that are successful with cards on file.

My simple idea to limit their effect is a couple of things:

They should only allow a user to create a GT within their region/country. So a guy in Poland can't make a U.S. GT, and vice versa.

They should also not allow you to change your GT from one country to another without a detailed process for it to be approved first. I haven't heard of many U.S. accounts being comprimised and being sold to other U.S. customers. From what I see this seems like a bigger issue outside North America. These 2 steps would at least decrease the scope of who can be attacked with the way the current Xbox security is set up.

Other than that, maybe forcing family accounts to be set up over the phone to further limit hackers from using credit cards and spreading them out to newly made family accounts, then selling each one off. It would hinder this process much more, even if it provides an inconvenience for people wanting legitimate family accounts.
---
GTA IV. TLAD. TBOGT. RDR. GTA V.
#5nozomi429(Topic Creator)Posted 1/7/2012 3:36:53 PM
djwagon posted...

Hi, you clearly did not read my entire post, but I'll be glad to reclarify things for you.

As I have stated, I do have a single unique password for XBL--this password is not used for ANYTHING else I use.

Also, I do not have the same usernames for XBL or my e-mail address, or any other game service. I do not use EA, but I do use R*'s Social Club and uPlay, and I usually follow these guidelines.

Also, "were I dumb enough" to link my CC to my GT, I should already be protected by Microsoft. People use their CC on various online services and websites, including Amazon, Sony, eBay. If any of these services were compromised, it would be the fault of theirs, not mine.

And, my question is, how do I keep myself from being targeted any further than I already have?
---
#6FoppePosted 1/7/2012 3:37:26 PM
Never ever use the same password twice.
---
GameFAQs isn't going to be merged in with GameSpot or any other site. We're not going to strip out the soul of the site. -CJayC
#7nozomi429(Topic Creator)Posted 1/7/2012 3:38:09 PM
Moss_27 posted...
This is only speculation, but when game forums are hacked (EA, Bioware, whoever else) they acquire the username and password, and at least from EA they can see the GT that is attached to the username/password. I'd guess that these hackers spend hours trying to find people who have matching xbl/ea forum passwords and attack the ones that are successful with cards on file.

My simple idea to limit their effect is a couple of things:

They should only allow a user to create a GT within their region/country. So a guy in Poland can't make a U.S. GT, and vice versa.

They should also not allow you to change your GT from one country to another without a detailed process for it to be approved first. I haven't heard of many U.S. accounts being comprimised and being sold to other U.S. customers. From what I see this seems like a bigger issue outside North America. These 2 steps would at least decrease the scope of who can be attacked with the way the current Xbox security is set up.

Other than that, maybe forcing family accounts to be set up over the phone to further limit hackers from using credit cards and spreading them out to newly made family accounts, then selling each one off. It would hinder this process much more, even if it provides an inconvenience for people wanting legitimate family accounts.

So they're simply hoping that the user was not smart enough to share same passwords.

Thanks, you have been very helpful.
---
#8djwagonPosted 1/7/2012 3:45:36 PM
nozomi429 | Posted 1/7/2012 5:36:53 PM | message detail | quote

Also, "were I dumb enough" to link my CC to my GT, I should already be protected by Microsoft. People use their CC on various online services and websites, including Amazon, Sony, eBay. If any of these services were compromised, it would be the fault of theirs, not mine.

your correct microsoft has your cc info secure.what I was saying is why take a chance.that means calling the bank to report the lose as well as hope ms credit you the money stolen faste.plus the time you need to take to got the bank in person and change all numbers on cc/saving/checking accounts
---
when I was here before I went by the screen name IMPORTER1..
this is my set-up http://s164.photobucket.com/albums/u28/importer1/
#9RE2LeonSPosted 1/12/2012 3:27:32 PM
Cellski916 posted...
djwagon posted...

does battlelog count?

Yes, I had my EA account for junk like Mirror's Edge and Bad Company 2 and Battlelog for Battlefield 3 is run on the same account services. So you're pretty much a target as well.
---
If you're going to buy a Capcom title, buy it USED! GamerTag - RE2LeonS
#10FatDude87Posted 1/12/2012 3:58:55 PM
How do I change my xbox password. I went ahead and changed my ea password.

I went ahead and deleted the credit card info off my xbox. Never knew they made pre paid point cards. I'll just buy those.
---
Hi