This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Game Studio Closures since 2007

#21sanadawarrior02Posted 1/31/2012 11:25:48 AM
Arucard05 posted...
I wonder how many games studios have opened in the same time frame. The list would probably be just as big as that one.
True! But they're all filled with the same people as the closed ones, except now making low risk mobile games.

Actually with the rise of mobile games I'm sure a new game studios list would utterly crush a closed studios list.
---
GT: sanadawarrior
#22RetroMUFCPosted 1/31/2012 11:27:57 AM
Big deal, these studios open and close all the time. Figures from one studio start a job and finish it and the studio closes. They just go on and open another one and start a new project. It's just like the construction industry, you finish a job and you move on to the next one. These people are essentially contract workers and should expect such.
#23mongunzoo(Topic Creator)Posted 1/31/2012 11:30:45 AM
RetroMUFC posted...
Big deal, these studios open and close all the time. Figures from one studio start a job and finish it and the studio closes. They just go on and open another one and start a new project. It's just like the construction industry, you finish a job and you move on to the next one. These people are essentially contract workers and should expect such.

I love the implication that a CONSTRUCTION COMPANY builds a house and then disbands, only to build another house and disbands again.

Construction companies do not live off reputation or name recognition at all, do they?
---
www.snes-stop.weebly.com
#24SheepinatorPosted 1/31/2012 11:35:47 AM
RetroMUFC posted...

Mostly true, but a contractor's rate is based on other things besides the cost of the job itself. The rate has to cover benefits such as medical, and some down-time to find new contracts. So the rates tend to be higher than a full time employee. The way the games industry has headed though, is that full time employees are being paid about the same as before, but they're being treated like contractors, which is great for the execs but bad for the employees.
#25sanadawarrior02Posted 1/31/2012 11:46:25 AM
mongunzoo posted...
Game Studio that have opened since 2007

343 Studios Kirkland, Washington USA 2009
ACE Team Santiago de Chile Chile 2007
Activision Blizzard Santa Monica, California USA 2008
Binary Hammer Avon, Connecticut USA 2008
Double Helix Games Irvine, California USA 2007
Epicenter Studios Sherman Oaks, California USA 2007
Fatshark Stockholm Sweden 2008
Jaleco (New) Shinagawa, Tokyo Japan 2006
Lousy Games Burbank USA 2009
Playdom San Francisco, California USA 2009
Playfish London United Kingdom 2007
Star Vault Malmö Sweden 2007
Tecmo Koei Yokohama Japan 2009
Vertigo Games Rotterdam Netherlands 2008
Viwawa Singapore Singapore 2007
YoYo Games Dundee Scotland 2007
Zynga San Francisco, California USA 2007

Platinum Games 2006
Valhalla Game Studios 2008
Respawn Entertainment 2010
Bioware Austin 2006
Bioware Montreal 2009
Ubisoft Chengdu 2007
Ubisoft India 2008
Ubisoft Ukraine 2008
Ubisoft Poland 2009
Ubisoft Shanghai 2009
Ubisoft Singapore 2009
Ubisoft Toronto 2009
THQ Montreal 2010
Smith & Tinker 2007
Easy Studios 2008

^That was just from looking for like 20 minutes on wikipedia. A new game studios list is hard to compile because until they make something that sticks in your mind you won't know about them and unless an important industry figure joins there won't be an article about them opening.
---
#26sanadawarrior02Posted 1/31/2012 11:47:35 AM
mongunzoo posted...
RetroMUFC posted...

I love the implication that a CONSTRUCTION COMPANY builds a house and then disbands, only to build another house and disbands again.

Construction companies do not live off reputation or name recognition at all, do they?

I think he is referring to internal studios owned by publishers and not independent ones.
---
#27mongunzoo(Topic Creator)Posted 1/31/2012 12:03:52 PM
sanadawarrior02 posted...
mongunzoo posted...
RetroMUFC posted...

I think he is referring to internal studios owned by publishers and not independent ones.

Still a bad comparison, but I did see what he was getting at.
---
www.snes-stop.weebly.com
#28Allaster111Posted 1/31/2012 12:37:53 PM
Hmmm... I noticed that Infinity Ward and Treyarch aren't on that list.

Oh, that's right. They make the HUGELY profitable CoD series and they don't have used game sales as a scapegoat for failure. In fact, they don't even use an online pass system for the CoD games.

Successful developers make money despite a used game market. Not everyone can be a successful developer and it shouldn't my job to level the playing field for the devs who can't hack it.