This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

HDMI Audio problems

#1xBxRanPosted 2/15/2012 4:36:56 PM
Hey guys. I own a pair of Turtle Beach x11's that I'm trying to use with my Xbox hooked up via HDMI. I cant get any sound from the audio ports on my television while its running on HDMI, so I bought a cable I assumed would alleviate the problem by giving me RCA audio ports (the red and white ones) that I could plug my turtle beaches straight into.

This is the cable: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002P35JMO/ref=oh_o00_s01_i02_details

The problem I'm having is, I don't get video via HDMI while the audio cable is plugged in. As soon as I plug in the audio cable, the video cuts out as if my xbox is trying to connect to the new source. I disabled the option to automatically detect displays, yet this changes nothing.

Anybody have some experience with an issue like this? Without the xbox sound being transferred to my headphones, the headphones I bought are pretty much an overpriced xbox mic. I could downgrade my video quality to using the other video cable and 720p, but I figured this cable would let me have the best of both worlds. My television is a 24 inch Samsung tv thats about three or four years old, sorry I don't know the model.
---
RSN: B_Rannn
Minecraft: B_Ran
#2CapwnDPosted 2/15/2012 4:40:14 PM
Disable Display Discovery in your 360 display settings and see how that goes.
---
As Above, So Below
#3xBxRan(Topic Creator)Posted 2/15/2012 4:46:22 PM
I tried that with no change in results. As soon as I plug in the audio cable my hdmi video cuts. Turning on the console with both plugged in is just the same
---
#4CapwnDPosted 2/15/2012 5:06:21 PM
Some dongles that you buy give you the same HDCP problems that you would get if you did the workaround (taking the plastic off your component cables and using that along with HDMI instead of using the dongle). I wonder if that's the case here.

I would try getting a dongle from monoprice.com and see if that fixes it. It is said that the monoprice dongle fixes that problem. I have one myhself but honestly I forgot what xbox and monitor/TV setup I had that gave me that issue so I can't really test it until I figure that out.
---
As Above, So Below
#5xBxRan(Topic Creator)Posted 2/16/2012 6:38:13 AM
Bump, maybe it has something to do with the small black port on the front face of the cable? I have no idea what type of port that is...
---
#6CapwnDPosted 2/16/2012 6:47:07 AM

Bump, maybe it has something to do with the small black port on the front face of the cable? I have no idea what type of port that is...

That's not a problem, sound will continues to come out of the RCA ports, the toslink optical port (I assume that's what you mean by the small black port), HDMI, and even the toslink optical on the back of the slim.

I wonder why you're not getting and audio out from the TV. It has red and white audio out? That should work... you may have to look on the TV's audio options, maybe change the speaker to "Fixed" instead of "variable".

Not sure why you have the problem with the video cutting out though, other than what I said about the dongle (the adapter you bought) and HDCP issues.
---
Thrash or be Thrashed
#7xBxRan(Topic Creator)Posted 2/18/2012 4:06:11 PM
Just noticed something while trying to connect them straight to my tv again, when the connectors are just BARELY in the audio port, I get the sound in my headphones. When I actually plug them in, the audio cuts. Weirdest thing. The audio ports work, but when fully plugged in I dont get sound?

On my old tv I had them plugged in the with the red and white xbox cables going in them.
---