This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Xbox Slim Overheating issue.

#1TehFOMasterPosted 2/18/2012 3:36:38 AM
Went and posted this on the official forums, but you guys have a more active board so yeah.

Anyway:

My Xbox slim (just over a year old so its out of warranty) is constantly turning off when I go to play it with the insufficient cooling message. First thing I checked was the Power Supply, which is fine. Then I noticed the fan at the top of the system wasn't working. I believe this is the issue. Any help on the matter would be appreciated.

Thanks.
---
chirp chirp chirp
#2Pengu1nPosted 2/18/2012 4:42:43 AM
Sounds like you answered your own question. If the fan isn't working then the console will overheat. Give MS a call and they should be able to repair it for you.
---
PSP 3000/Go:6.60, PS3: 3.70, WII: 4.3E 3DS: 3.0.0-5E
I Bought a PSP Go. And i like it. DEAL WITH IT!!
#3infinitexxPosted 2/18/2012 7:37:01 AM
Yeah, that's a pretty serious issue. In the future, I'd cover that huge vent with a dust cloth, I hate how they just left it open like that. It's good for ventilation, but bad for keeping the insides of your system clean.
---
Posted from my Xbox360 with 360FAQS v1.1
#4Dragon NexusPosted 2/18/2012 8:11:18 AM

I hate how they just left it open like that.

Well...it's not going to ventilate very well if it's closed.
---
"I don't know, it's an impossible choice...I just have to hope that when I flip the coin it somehow explodes and kills me."
#5infinitexxPosted 2/18/2012 8:14:44 AM
Dragon Nexus posted...
I hate how they just left it open like that.
Well...it's not going to ventilate very well if it's closed.

Yes, but most electronics make do with vents on vertical surfaces (or on the bottom of a suspended surface if it is going to be horizontal, or at least employ a filter of some sort if it is going to the exposed on the top.
---
Posted from my Xbox360 with 360FAQS v1.1
#6Dragon NexusPosted 2/18/2012 11:30:32 AM

Yes, but most electronics make do with vents on vertical surfaces

Keep the 360 vertical then. It seems designed that way, with the vents pointed downwards.

or on the bottom of a suspended surface if it is going to be horizontal

On the bottom? So...the underside is blocked? Oh, but you said for suspended surfaces. Yeah. Something the 360 doesn't have.

or at least employ a filter of some sort if it is going to the exposed on the top.

It does have a filter. But there's nothing the designers can do to make up for people's general lack of maintenance and housekeeping of their console.
Not saying that's what the TC did, it sounds far more likely his fan just died, but I was making a general point. Dust is only an issue if you make it one.
---
"I don't know, it's an impossible choice...I just have to hope that when I flip the coin it somehow explodes and kills me."