This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

is Halo REALLY that special amongst shooter fans? or just way too overrated?

#1zaiwenPosted 5/6/2012 2:00:54 AM
don't get me wrong i enjoy shooters, multiplayer games even. way before Halo was even conceived... played Halo CE on the original Xbox & unlike millions, i didn't see anything special about it... finished the game & moved on to Halo 2.. about halfway into the campaign, i felt i was just forcing myself to play through it. as a result i never played any Halo title since...multiplayer is no different, i was enjoying other games better at the time (won't even mention them to avoid unnecessary claims i'm just bashing or flame bait)

so i gotta ask Xbox owners & Halo fans, what's that "something" in Halo that made it so successful?
---
GT & PSN: zaiwen3
#2RycerXPosted 5/6/2012 2:02:55 AM
Good music.
#3Zesty_MFPosted 5/6/2012 2:07:31 AM
Other than it being the first good game for the console there's nothing really. People just got behind it because it was the only thing at that time(more or less) that the xbox had to offer.
---
Here in America we're better than you, and we know it!
#4Enix BelmontPosted 5/6/2012 2:08:53 AM
It's pretty special and remains a unique multiplayer experience to this day. Very competitive and the game has a great flow and balance to it.

Before Reach, anyway, but Reach was good too.
---
http://i38.tinypic.com/15mk29j.jpg
#5GuideToTheDarkPosted 5/6/2012 2:22:40 AM
Both.

The first solid console fps (Well, that's GoldenEye, but in halo you can walk AND aim!).

It changed a lot about the standard fps rules, even for pc, while still allowing for the same core rules of "aim better and think faster and you win". That has appeal to many people, as we can see by sales.

The second coming of christ hype came from it being pretty much the only good console shooter for a while. Any real halo fan does nothing but ***** about it's problems, anyway.
---
Of course the game is rigged. Don't let that stop you--if you don't play, you can't win.
#6LanternOfAshPosted 5/6/2012 2:32:31 AM
Well it's not 'special' now. But back in the day when that came out it was mindblowing for us console kids. Grenade and melee having their own buttons, vehicles, dual analog aiming, 16 person LAN. It was amazing. Then Halo 2 came out and took over Xbox Live. That crap was exciting as hell. We'd be playing online until the wee hours of the morning. Those years were some of the best of my life and it was more than enough to cement me as a Halo fan for life. Nowadays it's the only thing I play online, don't see a reason to bother with anything else. So the fact that I have a game that willingly dominates my online gaming that goes way back for me and my friends makes it special enough for me.
---
I've got an 82" 3D HDTV. Yeah, I went there.
#7GuideToTheDarkPosted 5/6/2012 2:34:56 AM(edited)
Just to put it out there, my first time really getting into halo was with 3. I was counterstrike lancafe kid. There's no bias in my statement.
---
Of course the game is rigged. Don't let that stop you--if you don't play, you can't win.
#8CapwnDPosted 5/6/2012 2:46:53 AM
zaiwen that sounds similar to my experience. I knew it was a good series, I just didn't get into it like everybody else. I also knew that part of it was my interest in other games at the time.

Then I played ODST, and it really pulled me in. Went back and finished Halo 3, I think I have it finished on Legendary, and started going for achievements and playing co-op. So much fun.

I couldn't give two craps about what others think, I like it and if I didn't play COD I'm sure Halo would be my online FPS of choice.
---
Thrash or be Thrashed
#9turtlej-manPosted 5/6/2012 2:47:29 AM
You know...I've wondered that myself for quite some time now. For some, I will agree that it's overrated. Not everybody likes the same games. Some of my friends say that every shooter plays like halo or call of duty, and that they have grown stale. While I will agree with them on a couple things with them (call of duty's gameplay is a lot of fun, and you can't really get more accessible than a cod game, but those games barely do anything fresh and new. Blops 2 seems to change that)

Halo however, does feel unique to me among its peers. The shooter genre is pretty saturated, but I really haven't played another one that had anything close to a "Halo" feel. The way the "big three" (guns, grenades, and melee) are balanced has not been matched by any other games in my opinion. The vehicles are also so fun to pay with.
The art style in halo is very inviting to me. I love my games to have color in them. Halo games are beautiful to look at based on that aspect.
And I find the over all story of the halo universe to be great. The story in the actual games might not seek like much, but bungie laid out clues and easter eggs to flush out backstory for those that wanted it. Add the books into that, and you have a pretty rich universe.
The developers are really involved with the community, and support their games long after release.

Thats all why I love the halo series, and keep going back to it.
---
If a Killer Instinct 3 is never made....AT LEAST PUT THE FIRST 2 ON XBLA!!!!!
#10CapwnDPosted 5/6/2012 2:49:54 AM
Some of my friends say that every shooter plays like halo or call of duty,

no offense but your friends sound completely stupid and ignorant, and it sounds like they know games very well. You sound much more intelligent.
---
Thrash or be Thrashed