This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Whats with people who support these rumored cheap next gen tactics?

#1OrgeLambartPosted 5/14/2012 7:08:46 PM(edited)
As the topic title says, why do people support these shady rumored business practices, blocking/banning used games, 100 dollar new games, always online connection required.

Lets start with blocking used games, what benefit do you as a gamer get from used games being banned? Do you think Developers/publishers will wake up, realize out loyality and put out top notch steller AAA titles every release? The short answer is no, they'll continue to put out the same level and caliber of title they release now, the only difference will be you won't have the ability to buy that game used.

Do you really think it'll stop day one DLC, online passes, and other tactics publishers have been using to seperate us from our money? The short answer is no, it won't stop this from happening. Why would a company like Capcom include stuff they could remove and sell later. It's already proven to be profitable, why would they stop using a tactic that has proven to make them money over and over and over again. Online passes will stop being free with new games, after all, every game will be new, they'll charge us gamers an additional 10 dollars to play the game online...

How about.... I don't care about that other stuff you said, blocking used games will allow developers to take chances and give us some new risky games..... Again the short answer is... NO they won't, they'll continue to make so called safe choices with what games they bring to market. The same as any investment you make, the more risk involved the less potential for a profit. Why create a unique game that might only sell 200,000, when you can put that same money into a game that will sell 2.5 million.

100 dollar new games..... this is beyond rediculous, when the world wide economy is in a down trend, you don't raise the price of luxery items, anyone with even a smidgen of business sense can tell you that. Of all the so called rumors this has the least merit IMO.

Required online connection and DD method. I can see this being required with some select games, but not a system wide requirement. After all how many households even have a constent broadband connection? Also if you support these methods,, what happens if you lose your internet for a few days..... Or god forbid a few months? Feels good not being able to play of your games right? Still want to support this.

DD...... You really think it'll make games cheaper? Take a look at 50 cent blood on the sand..... Can pick the game up for about 20 dollars new in a store, still 59.99 on demand. You can look at just about every on demand game and the prices are higher than you'd find in a store. I ask you explain why? When you consider the average product price accounts for about 40% of the price for marketing. Marketing includes packaging, and distribution, etc etc etc. With DD games you have no package, you have no need to distribute it, so the cost should actually be lower.

The cost should be lowered by as much as 20% or more, than the product you'd buy in stores, yet this isn't the case, and in fact the complete opposite is true, the games are more money.

So anyone still want to try and support these underhanded tactics?
#2gorilla47Posted 5/14/2012 7:02:08 PM
I vigorously thrust my pelvis into my computer desk at times.
---
A Mod/Admin replied on 11/5/2011 6:06:56 PM:
Telling other users to smell your ass is trolling. End of story.
#3WinternovaPosted 5/14/2012 7:06:25 PM

The cost should be lowered by as much as 20% or more, than the produce you'd buy in stores

What does the cost of games have to do with the cost of lettuce, peppers, corn, eggplant, and other vegetables?
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMKUUUvjjzo
Fan of: Steelers(6-time Super Bowl Champions), Red Wings(11-time Stanley Cup Champions)
#4JamanjaxPosted 5/14/2012 7:07:58 PM
I think it's about time for my evening cup of coffee!
---
http://www.last.fm/user/Jamanjax
http://i51.tinypic.com/207w57b.jpg
#5knightimexPosted 5/15/2012 6:35:40 AM
tl;dr
---
The only time you'll ever hear a ninja is when someone says: "A Ninja".
#6QuetzocoetlPosted 5/15/2012 8:38:35 AM
I haven't seen anybody actually defend or support these ideas...just people who question the validity of these claims.
---
Retribution Boards >retribution.muux.org< -Free Forum, Free Speech.
Gamertag: Quetzocoetl
#7crazybotPosted 5/15/2012 8:48:30 AM
some do act as though they work for these companies. as if they are on the board or something. It amazes me how shortsided some gamers seem to be. I do remember reading about companies actually hiring people to go into online forums to either put positive spins on things the companies are doing or general positive PR. I sometimes wonder if these apologists are something similiar.
#8PsychoDrama1Posted 5/15/2012 8:53:46 AM
Some peeps just question the claims, but yea some people are so zealously defensive about it that they must be paid PR spinners or just horribly ignorant.
---
Wolf Parade, Swan Lake, Built to Spill, Sunset Rubdown, The Hold Steady, Modest Mouse, Handsome Furs, Plants and Animals
#9kst8erPosted 5/15/2012 9:35:52 AM
gorilla47 posted...
I vigorously thrust my pelvis into my computer desk at times.

wow, i thought i was the only one
---
"I consider myself an artist, but I would give it all up for a boatload of money" Jim Gaffigan
#10darkharePosted 5/15/2012 10:36:12 AM
Quetzocoetl posted...
I haven't seen anybody actually defend or support these ideas...just people who question the validity of these claims.

exactly, at the moment these are just rumors; when they stop becoming rumors and we know them as fact then i will vote with my $. we have the choice to either buy the product that implaments these changes or not to buy it, people here act as if they dont have a choice and the only thing they can do is cry and complain about the product while they run to the store to buy it.

if the neXtBox has these features, i will not buy it ill simply continue playing my 360 until its not supported anymore. the 360 still has a big backlog of games i havent even bothered with yet.
---
most topics ive had one person crying in at one time: 4, thanks scoobydoobydont couldnt have done it without ya.