This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is it really possible for someone to to boot my account? (story inside)

#1DurableDoor024Posted 6/21/2012 9:27:37 AM
I was playing some MW2 and just regularly playing some SnD and some guy asked me to join back out and join his party and game after the game because his 6th guy backed out. I was a little suspicious that I was gonna just get trolled or when I joined, be attacked with random swears, insults, and racial slurs for no reason. But, me, being the nice guy I am, especially since they were pretty good during the game, so I joined. The very first thing I hear is: "Assassin you dumb***, now I have your I.P address and am gonna boot you offline!" So, is it possible for him to do that? And his gamertag is TuNe Radio, in case you want to file complaint on him for tampering and/or threatening.
---
Hi. Number of people who have said Hi back: 24
#2TwinmoldPosted 6/21/2012 9:39:10 AM(edited)
Yes it's possible, but it's not likely he can actually act on it. He would need to have good flooding software and a set up of bots (computers under his control) that he can use to spam you with. (How many bots he needs depends on the quality of his booter)

Summary: Odds are he is a script kiddy and getting your IP is about the worst he can do. That or block your IP from his router and kick you from the game when he is host.
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/TheCptDecaf
#3Berto0391Posted 6/21/2012 9:38:51 AM
DurableDoor024 posted...
I was playing some MW2 and just regularly playing some SnD and some guy asked me to join back out and join his party and game after the game because his 6th guy backed out. I was a little suspicious that I was gonna just get trolled or when I joined, be attacked with random swears, insults, and racial slurs for no reason. But, me, being the nice guy I am, especially since they were pretty good during the game, so I joined. The very first thing I hear is: "Assassin you dumb***, now I have your I.P address and am gonna boot you offline!" So, is it possible for him to do that? And his gamertag is TuNe Radio, in case you want to file complaint on him for tampering and/or threatening.

Block him and move on and if you want report him.
---
Xbox 360 GT: Berto0391
PS3 GT: xBerto0391x
#4DoukouscarPosted 6/21/2012 9:41:25 AM
It's a bluff.
He probably doesn't even know what an IP is.
Just heard it from his Bros.
---
Don't read this sig.
#5CapwnDPosted 6/21/2012 11:48:24 AM
99% chance that he's bluffing.

If you want, you can force your IP address to change:

--first find out your IP address. log into the router and write down your IP address that you currently have. Or you could go to http://www.whatismyip.com and it will show it.

--unplug the power on your modem.
-- Log into your router and change the WAN MAC address. You can now turn off the router.
--Leave your router and modem unplugged for awhile. Overnight and the next day while you're at work/school is a good amount of time. Probably doesn't even need to be that long. When you're ready to continue, make sure all your PCs and everything are off (just cycling your network at this point)
--plug in the router. Then plug in the modem and let it connect. If you can't get online, you may have to unplug both and first plug in your modem and let it connect, then plug in your router.
--Check your IP address again, it should be different.
---
Thrash Zone