This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So I want to get a Magic The Gathering game...

#1ProtofreakPosted 8/8/2012 5:20:48 PM
Which one should I get? I was thinking just 2013 since its the newest, but is one of the others better?
#2squarex8264Posted 8/8/2012 5:52:54 PM
Yeah, each iteration makes fixes from the previous, so I would suggest just going along with the 2013 version.
---
Gamertag: Squ4rex
#3Walkman_005Posted 8/8/2012 5:56:18 PM
I would just buy the most recent. 2013.

Honestly they all really play exactly the same, I mean, you can't "fix" the card game as it's pretty much set in stone.

Only real difference are decks and overall "ascetics" of it.

Personally I bought the first one, skipped the second and bought the third. Only thing new is the decks and a game mode.
#4yankee6903Posted 8/8/2012 6:07:36 PM
Is 2013 good? I havent played Magic in YEARS on my old PC.
---
PSN: Houseof1kCorpzes GT:Housof1kCorpses
I am not a Republican or a Democrat, I am a conservative
#5AdmiralBisonPosted 8/8/2012 7:42:15 PM
I love it.
I am playing it on my iPad instead however.
---
If delusions and Illusions are an en-escapable part of our entire lives, why not just pick a positive one?
#6natevinesPosted 8/8/2012 7:43:37 PM
It's good. I didn't really see too many improvements from 2012 (with the exception of one big one - deciding which mana you want to tap when casting), but if you buy one of the older iterations you'll be dealing with a much smaller community as most people have upgraded. Definitely go with '13
---
Gamertag- MidgetRifleman
#7MR_SorenPosted 8/8/2012 8:47:38 PM
The console Magic games are pretty terrible compared to playing with cards, but it is possible to have some fun with them.

I'd suggest just getting the latest release. They're incremental improvements overall. Hope the AI's not still as dumb as a brick.
---
Blog: .............. http://red-grenade.com
Gamertag: .... rjcarello
#8dannyaqPosted 8/9/2012 12:37:35 AM
If you plan on playing only single player, its a good way to learn the basic rules and strategies of magic. It's also a decent filler if you are a magic junkie and have nobody to play with. But be aware to make up for the fact that no au will be as good as a human, the computer cheats and the cards dealt are not completely random. Sometimes its ok, but sometimes you get a feeling of getting screwed over. The game is so much better playing against people though. But like I said if your goal is to learn how to play magic that is one of the of the gamemain goals
---
There are only 10 types of people, those who understand binary and those who don't
#9RockguyKevPosted 8/9/2012 6:30:36 AM
I actually think 2012 is the best so far. 2013 is fine but the load times are needlessly long and Planechase isn't nearly as fun of a game type as Archenemy. I prefer the decks in 2012 as well as the ones in 2013 are just really straight forward.

That said, if you're planning on any Live multiplayer 2013 obviously will have the better community and all three are fine games.