This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Can you hook up an XBox to the internet without a computer?

#1PkmTrainerAbramPosted 8/16/2012 8:40:52 AM
As in just having wired cable and hooking up the ethernet cord from a router to the Xbox, WITHOUT owning a computer.
---
Currently playing: Street Fighter 3(XBox360), Pokemon Emerald(tying up loose ends before moving on completely to complete Gen 4)
#2rttnPosted 8/16/2012 8:42:56 AM(edited)
Yes
you only need a computer to connection share if your Xbox and modem/router are to far away.
---
Xbox GT: rttnCRAFT
PowerFAQs 1.9-buy it
#3infinitexxPosted 8/16/2012 8:42:49 AM
Possibly, though you would need a computer to change any settings on your router.

Question is, if you're not using a computer, why not just run directly from the modem to the 360?
---
Posted from my Xbox360 with 360FAQS v1.1
#4zyxomma100Posted 8/16/2012 8:43:02 AM
Yes
#5PkmTrainerAbram(Topic Creator)Posted 8/16/2012 8:45:03 AM
infinitexx posted...
Possibly, though you would need a computer to change any settings on your router.

Question is, if you're not using a computer, why not just run directly from the modem to the 360?

Ok, THAT is what I'm talking about. Can one just use a modem and do it that way? It's for someone else who doesn't have a computer and doesn't have cable, yet, so he's looking for the cheapest way to get online with an Xbox.
---
Currently playing: Street Fighter 3(XBox360), Pokemon Emerald(tying up loose ends before moving on completely to complete Gen 4)
#6SunDevil77Posted 8/16/2012 8:47:47 AM
Wait a second...if I hooked my xbox to my laptop with an ethernet would my laptop be able to connect my xbox to the internet?
---
"Mirror, mirror on the wall. Jean Claude Van DAMME, I'm fine!"
#7rttnPosted 8/16/2012 8:54:12 AM(edited)
@SunDevil

It's slightly more complicated than that, but yes.

@abram

Your friend can do that, but it's always good to have a computer around to tweak the settings of the modem for optimal gaming performance aswell as port forwarding to make sure you Nat stays "open"
---
PowerFAQs 1.9-buy it
#8Xx_King_Beef_xXPosted 8/16/2012 8:58:24 AM
You can. I did it with my old XBOX back in the day. I ordered DSL through my phone company and then borrowed my mom's laptop, brought it back to my place and then used it to set the router up. I didn't even need a computer at all after that. Just plugged the XBOX into the router and I was good to go.
---
I like to dissect girls. Did you know I'm utterly insane??
#9DiScOrD tHe LuNaTiCPosted 8/16/2012 9:06:58 AM
If you don't have a computer, why are you using a router?
---
"It's not about money, it's about sending a message. Everything burns."
#10rttnPosted 8/16/2012 9:15:38 AM
I had a router for a while before gettin a computer, used it for iPhones,PSP, and Xbox. at some point, yeah you want a computer of some sort, but with smartphones/tablets today the laptops/netbooks are becoming increasingly useless.
---
PowerFAQs 1.9-buy it