This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Can you hook up an XBox to the internet without a computer?

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox 360
  3. Can you hook up an XBox to the internet without a computer?
4 years ago#1
As in just having wired cable and hooking up the ethernet cord from a router to the Xbox, WITHOUT owning a computer.
Currently playing: Street Fighter 3(XBox360), Pokemon Emerald(tying up loose ends before moving on completely to complete Gen 4)
4 years ago#2
Yes
you only need a computer to connection share if your Xbox and modem/router are to far away.
Xbox GT: rttnCRAFT
PowerFAQs 1.9-buy it
4 years ago#3
Possibly, though you would need a computer to change any settings on your router.

Question is, if you're not using a computer, why not just run directly from the modem to the 360?
Posted from my Xbox360 with 360FAQS v1.1
4 years ago#4
Yes
4 years ago#5
infinitexx posted...
Possibly, though you would need a computer to change any settings on your router.

Question is, if you're not using a computer, why not just run directly from the modem to the 360?

Ok, THAT is what I'm talking about. Can one just use a modem and do it that way? It's for someone else who doesn't have a computer and doesn't have cable, yet, so he's looking for the cheapest way to get online with an Xbox.
Currently playing: Street Fighter 3(XBox360), Pokemon Emerald(tying up loose ends before moving on completely to complete Gen 4)
4 years ago#6
Wait a second...if I hooked my xbox to my laptop with an ethernet would my laptop be able to connect my xbox to the internet?
"Mirror, mirror on the wall. Jean Claude Van DAMME, I'm fine!"
4 years ago#7
@SunDevil

It's slightly more complicated than that, but yes.

@abram

Your friend can do that, but it's always good to have a computer around to tweak the settings of the modem for optimal gaming performance aswell as port forwarding to make sure you Nat stays "open"
PowerFAQs 1.9-buy it
4 years ago#8
You can. I did it with my old XBOX back in the day. I ordered DSL through my phone company and then borrowed my mom's laptop, brought it back to my place and then used it to set the router up. I didn't even need a computer at all after that. Just plugged the XBOX into the router and I was good to go.
I like to dissect girls. Did you know I'm utterly insane??
4 years ago#9
If you don't have a computer, why are you using a router?
"It's not about money, it's about sending a message. Everything burns."
4 years ago#10
I had a router for a while before gettin a computer, used it for iPhones,PSP, and Xbox. at some point, yeah you want a computer of some sort, but with smartphones/tablets today the laptops/netbooks are becoming increasingly useless.
PowerFAQs 1.9-buy it
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox 360
  3. Can you hook up an XBox to the internet without a computer?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived