This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

iOS Game Center has More Users than Xbox Live

#1NintendologicalPosted 8/17/2012 11:23:21 AM
"During the WWDC keynote this year, Apple announced that Game Center had hit the 130 million user mark and it’s with this that Asymco gauges iOS’s relevance as a gaming handheld compared to the old guard. And based on Apple’s numbers, iOS just barely comes in third all time behind the Nintendo DS and Playstation 2. Last year OpenFeint touted their own number of 180 million users, which makes sense seeing as it was around for more than a year before Game Center. Based on that number, iOS would be at the number two all time spot.

The numbers are all very impressive, and every day it seems like more and more people are turning to iOS for their gaming habits. But there are some things to consider, too. Many non-typical gamers might get an iOS device, and more than likely one of the first stops they’ll make is the App Store to see what their cool new toy can do. This inevitably leads to the top game charts, where much of the top 25 or so games consists of the same titles that have been topping those charts for a long time.

So, just because your average non-gaming consumer downloads Angry Birds and signs up for Game Center doesn’t necessarily mean those people are prolonged active players. However, you could say pretty much the same thing about people who bought a DS during the Brain Age craze, or those who picked up a PS2 as their first DVD player and the gaming aspect was just a cool bonus."

http://toucharcade.com/2012/08/09/the-ios-platform-is-among-the-most-popular-game-systems-of-all-time/

Since the article correctly asserts that registered users does not account for long term players or the kinds of games being played by users, I thought it would be interesting to personally look into Xbox Live usage, as it serves the same function and is in fact the reason why we now have achievements, leaderboards, friends lists and a slew of things that are innovations and staples of online gaming that Microsoft pioneered.

Turns out that Xbox Live clocks in with just 40 million users. That means iOS has more than three times the users than Xbox. What do you all think that means for the future of gaming? Do you forsee a paradigm shift toward mobile gaming (much like what has happened in Japan, where portables rule over consoles), or do you see this as negligble? Do you believe it is important but that both will co-exist?

My two cents...Apple has stealthily entered the console market without having to make a formal entry into the industry. If the new Apple TV supports built in Air Play or Apple licenses the technology so that other TVs can have it, that means those millions of Game Center users can effectively turn their iPhone or iPod or iPad into a TV based gaming device. Things could get interesting....
---
Your uncle was so dumb he paid the full price of a new PS2 to rent it for a week? Your family tree must be a straight line" - Finlandia
#2zyxomma100Posted 8/17/2012 11:45:35 AM
That's great. Keep in mind though, that you're cutting the Xbox numbers down to 33%, but you're not making a similar cut to the iOS userbase. Every single iPad/Pod/Phone user I know (which is only about 10), is the kind of person that bought Angry Birds, Fruit Ninja, and one other game a year ago, and hasn't done anything else since.

So yeah, it's great to have that install base, but so far iOS doesn't have the kind of base that would support the current console game market. Of course, we're seeing a shift toward microtransaction FTP, but still.

Just saying, over the past year, I've put hundreds of times more dollars into gaming than the rest of my Apple-loving family combined.
#3GingivitisLegPosted 8/17/2012 11:47:35 AM
I have a apple iMac 27 inch screen.
---
| (o)(o) | / (o)(o) \
Spongebob and Patrick are looking at you.
#4GingivitisLegPosted 8/17/2012 11:47:45 AM
with 4 gigs
---
| (o)(o) | / (o)(o) \
Spongebob and Patrick are looking at you.
#5CapwnDPosted 8/17/2012 11:55:06 AM
I use iOS about 15 minutes a week, mostly while pooping. And I've hardly spent any money on anything in years.
---
Thrash Zone
#6BatistutePosted 8/17/2012 12:00:13 PM
My two cents...Apple has stealthily entered the console market without having to make a formal entry into the industry. If the new Apple TV supports built in Air Play or Apple licenses the technology so that other TVs can have it, that means those millions of Game Center users can effectively turn their iPhone or iPod or iPad into a TV based gaming device. Things could get interesting....

But this could only happen if those millions bought AppleTV
---
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers" Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943.
#7Nintendological(Topic Creator)Posted 8/17/2012 1:12:23 PM
zyxomma100 posted...
That's great. Keep in mind though, that you're cutting the Xbox numbers down to 33%, but you're not making a similar cut to the iOS userbase. Every single iPad/Pod/Phone user I know (which is only about 10), is the kind of person that bought Angry Birds, Fruit Ninja, and one other game a year ago, and hasn't done anything else since.

So yeah, it's great to have that install base, but so far iOS doesn't have the kind of base that would support the current console game market. Of course, we're seeing a shift toward microtransaction FTP, but still.

Just saying, over the past year, I've put hundreds of times more dollars into gaming than the rest of my Apple-loving family combined.

This is why I compared the gaming services and not the hardware install base. While it would be nice to know what kind of games people Re playing and how much time is spent gaming, the only info this far is the number of registered accounts. That is a metric that can be compared to the number of accounts registered fpr Xbox Live, which is similarly not reflective of the hardware install base.

As for supporting the cutrent console market, I'd agree. Even though mobile games hace a lower barrier of entry in ter,s of development cost and the profit margin is greater, the over all revenue is still less than that generated by a comparable hit on a console. Infinity Blade is still the crown jewel of mobile gaming and Epic's most profitable game (in terms of the ratio between development cost amd profit), yet it only made Epic $30 million. Tat is jot comparable to the refenue brought in by $50-60 games.
---
Your uncle was so dumb he paid the full price of a new PS2 to rent it for a week? Your family tree must be a straight line" - Finlandia
#8Nintendological(Topic Creator)Posted 8/17/2012 7:56:49 PM
Bump
---
#9RenamonPosted 8/17/2012 9:07:37 PM
I have nothing Apple related.
---
Movies that I believe will come true: Wall-E, Idiocracy
Halo 1 > all other Halo games
#10beastwarkingPosted 8/17/2012 9:48:16 PM
I have a Macbook, which I'm terribly disappointed in, and an iPhone 4S, which I got because my Droid X died during an update. I'm happy with the iPhone, it's just that due to the age of my computer, I can't access many of the features the iPhone 4S has.

Which is absolute bs
---
ba-weep-gra-na-weep-ninny-bong