This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

My patches disappeared, my save files are corrupted - WTF?!

#1SketczPosted 10/2/2012 10:06:10 AM(edited)
I'm new to the 360 world, I only bought it a couple of weeks ago, but have owned a PS3 for several years.

I don't want to come across as trolling, because I'm officially a 360 owner, but **** me this thing is badly designed.

I can't go online very often, so mainly stay offline. So I got my 360, installed about 30 games, and methodically went through each getting the patches for them. I also bought about 10 XBLA games, patched them, and settled down for a few weeks of offline gaming.

So today I'm able to go online again, and turns out ALL my patches are gone and needed redownloading. Great. So I do all the disc games (about 20 out of the 30), plus the XBLA games, AGAIN.

Now I find that NIN-2 JUMP and Fez no longer recognise the saves. Which sucks, because only today did I get all the achievments on NIN-2 JUMP. It says the save is either broken or from an older version. Plus Alaskan Storm says my save is from an older version and so is unstable. I put 30 hours into career mode - I'M NOT DOING IT AGAIN!

WTF is going on? Why did all my patches dissapear? Why are all my saves broken now? I did a search and read somewhere that the 360 holds its patches in the cache, and only between 4-10 patches at a time. I'm juggling 20 games here and it only holds 10 patches?!

You know, with the PS3 I download a patch once and it stays there. I have also never had a save file corrupt itself in the 5 years I've owned it. two weeks and my 360 has ****** itself and all my saves. I need stability, people. I need to know my data is safe.

Is there some kind of fix for this crap? Because right now the best option to me seems to be to NEVER patch anything, ever, and just live offline. I mean, come on, 30 hours worth of game time down the toilet because the patch breaks everything!

EDIT:
Also, what's up with the clock resetting itself to 2005 every time I unplug the machine? Even my old Dreamcast from 1999 could remember the time! I point blank refuse to keep the console plugged in 24/7 because MS was too cheap to install a timekeeper battery.
#2memphis12Posted 10/2/2012 10:28:48 AM
Yawn
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerFAQs 1.9
#3SheepinatorPosted 10/2/2012 10:33:25 AM
Sketcz posted...
have owned a PS3 for several years.

I didn't realize PSN was down again. Thanks for the info. Probably more suited to the PS3 board though.
---
My mad face and my happy face are the same.
#4vigorm0rtisPosted 10/2/2012 10:40:53 AM
Sketcz posted...

WTF is going on? Why did all my patches dissapear? Why are all my saves broken now? I did a search and read somewhere that the 360 holds its patches in the cache, and only between 4-10 patches at a time. I'm juggling 20 games here and it only holds 10 patches?!

You know, with the PS3 I download a patch once and it stays there. I have also never had a save file corrupt itself in the 5 years I've owned it. two weeks and my 360 has ****** itself and all my saves. I need stability, people. I need to know my data is safe.

EDIT:
Also, what's up with the clock resetting itself to 2005 every time I unplug the machine? Even my old Dreamcast from 1999 could remember the time! I point blank refuse to keep the console plugged in 24/7 because MS was too cheap to install a timekeeper battery.

My 360 holds all the patches for every game I've patched. That's a lot.

And in terms of the clock resetting, I don't know. I've had the power go out here and the clock doesn't reset. Then again, I'm always connected to live, so maybe that corrects it.
Call Customer Support. As you can tell from above posters, douche responses are all you're likely to get.
---
"Haters should work more to appreciate leisure." --QCTeamkill
#5Super CreaturesPosted 10/2/2012 10:42:00 AM
1. There is no battery backup for the system clock, so yes, power loss will reset the clock.

2. Connecting to XBL automatically syncs the system clock with the XBL servers.
---
R.I.P. Eve English (Feb. 12, 1968 - Oct. 13, 2010)
Momma Eve, you will be missed.
#6Wizzl241Posted 10/2/2012 10:47:02 AM
Since PSN is down again, I guess I won't be downloading the Silent Hill Vita demo for a while.
---
The Arizona Cardinals are 4-0! O_o
PSN Vita/XBL: Wizzl241
#7Sketcz(Topic Creator)Posted 10/2/2012 10:49:20 AM
What has PSN got to do with anything? I told you I seldom go online - PSN being down didn't bother me at all.

What does bother me is losing my save files and patches.

Is there no way to back-up what's in the cache to the HDD? I bought a 250gb HDD, and I find it ridiculous that I can't save patches.

For the record:
I'm rocking an NTSC-U 360 Slim, with 4gb internal storage, and 250 HDD.
#8SheepinatorPosted 10/2/2012 10:49:39 AM
vigorm0rtis posted...
As you can tell from above posters, douche responses are all you're likely to get.

There is no reason whatsoever to mention the PS3 once, never mind more than once, nor in the very first sentence. We're really supposed to believe he has bought 40 games in 2 weeks, and is about to play for weeks with no wifi router in range? Yeah, sure.
---
My mad face and my happy face are the same.
#9deathrow93Posted 10/2/2012 10:55:26 AM
Yea this post seems sketchy to me. We all know that the Xbox 360 saves every patch a game has (with no limit to how many it stores). The only way to clear them is if the user does so him/herself. And randomly corrupted saves too?

This sounds like user error or a really bad troll attempt. It's possible he got a bad box/HDD, but I doubt it.
#10Pure InvasionPosted 10/2/2012 11:04:06 AM
Sheepinator posted...
vigorm0rtis posted...
As you can tell from above posters, douche responses are all you're likely to get.

There is no reason whatsoever to mention the PS3 once, never mind more than once, nor in the very first sentence. We're really supposed to believe he has bought 40 games in 2 weeks, and is about to play for weeks with no wifi router in range? Yeah, sure.

yup...40 games in 2 weeks is laughable
---
360 Gamertag: Pure1nvasion