The message you selected is no longer available for viewing.

This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What's with the horrible video game trends this generation?

#1levyjl1988Posted 10/2/2012 2:52:39 PM
Facebook/ Twitter Link up - No one cares about what achievements you have unlocked or how much you scored in a game.

Uplay, Capcom Unity, etc - Sure you unlock stuff through their website/ service, but years later when the service is gone you wouldn't be able to get access to that content anymore. Accessing content from there when offline is not allowable.

Overpriced DLC - Armor skins, weapon skins, these minuscule visual changes are being charged upwards to 200 MS. It just screams out lazy developer cash grab. ie) Gears of War 3. Hey why don't you start producing more appreciated content.

On Disc DLC - Locked content only unlocked through more $$$$

Store exclusive Pre-order bonuses - Seriously gamers can never get a complete DLC package. What's worse is when they don't hit the xbox marketplace.

Microsoft/ Sony TOS - If breeched (even for stupid reasons like GT changes) Microsoft/Sony has the ability to eliminate your account. So all that $$$, effort, achievements, DLC, put in are gone. Microsoft/Sony can remove any content from their servers and you are unable to retrieve it or ever download it again. This is why I prefer my content on physical discs. Cannot rely on a server if the server loses the content you bought. This is why I'm kinda against digital content.

Fanboys - Seriously love the games not the system it's on.

Terrible Casual games - ie) Farmville and it's obvious addiction. Time- based limitations, appointment dynamic, and low amount of quality. Farmville is the perfect example of tricking the stupid. There is no user gain when you play it.

Immature press - Alien sex blown out of proportion, gun censorship, etc. Why make a big deals over breasts seriously, wtf. If the world worked the way how the media functions imagine going to the doctor to have a body scan but they didn't xray certain private parts because it's disgusting. Seriously the media needs to grow up and be mature.

Religious, illogical parents complaining - These parents complain to the developers to censor or remove things because it's not family friendly. Seriously Parents read the f'ing ESRB rating. these games have a specific target audience. if you have to complain stop complaining to the developers. Complain to the gun manufacturers.

that's all I got... done venting now...
---
"- - - - the king's guard. - - - - the city. - - - - the king."
#2SunDevil77Posted 10/2/2012 2:55:14 PM(edited)
Gamers this gen are the worst trend. They complain about every.little.thing.
It's like they don't even enjoy the hobby anymore, everyone is just a critic looking for little mistakes.
---
When I eat, it is the food that is scared.
#3mdotwillie09Posted 10/2/2012 3:01:10 PM
I totally agree...with some of those glaring things like DLC I just accept it since evidently people are buying it, I just don't. I'm 27 and when I was younger a lot of things like skins were unlockable by beating modes and the like or achieving something, It was a way to show off. I don't see why people get so excited about a skin that anyone can get by just buying or pre ordering somewhere. My son gets all caught up in it and has the audacity to request where people get him a game and as you said its dumb some of it doesn't just hit the marketplace but hey its business so I can't complain.
---
Xbox Live & PSN GT: Mdotwillie09
#4JukainPosted 10/2/2012 3:02:47 PM
@levyjl1988, I agree with everything you said, and I hate it. But the truth of the matter is with gaming going full-on mainstream with everyone being able to interact with each other, it was inevitable. As amazing as Xbox LIVE / PSN / online gaming is, it carries with it an evil, dark side that allows everything you listed to exist.

@SunDevil77, go fall off a cliff. We didn't have to deal with this crap before this gen and it's sad people like you are willing to do so.
---
"In peace, vigilance. In war, victory. In death, sacrifice." ~ The Grey Wardens
http://www.trueachievements.com/mygames.aspx?gamerid=71900
#5queirotacobellPosted 10/2/2012 3:03:36 PM
Don't forget reviews. Omg game got a 8.5 or 9.0. Its a terrible game. Or game got 7.0. The reviewer sucks and his opinion doesn't matter.

Also if a sequel changes. Omg why they changed it. It used to be great how it was. Or game doesn't change. This game sucks. Should have been dlc or called game 1.5.
---
Nah hidden stuffs are still in games these days...
you just have to pay for them. Capcom calls them DLC.
#6SunDevil77Posted 10/2/2012 3:04:11 PM
Jukain posted...
@levyjl1988, I agree with everything you said, and I hate it. But the truth of the matter is with gaming going full-on mainstream with everyone being able to interact with each other, it was inevitable. As amazing as Xbox LIVE / PSN / online gaming is, it carries with it an evil, dark side that allows everything you listed to exist.

@SunDevil77, go fall off a cliff. We didn't have to deal with this crap before this gen and it's sad people like you are willing to do so.

Oh, okay. So the sensible thing to do is to tell me to kill myself.
---
#7natevinesPosted 10/2/2012 3:05:57 PM
Your last 4 points are nothing new. I remember the same stuff 10-15 years ago. It's funny how everyone always moans about the problems of 'THIS GEN', not realizing that a lot of the **** has been with us as long as gaming has.

And the other things you mentioned? There were even worse problems the last few gens. Nothing to see here.
---
Gamertag- MidgetRifleman
#8JukainPosted 10/2/2012 3:07:26 PM
SunDevil77 posted...
Jukain posted...

Falling off a cliff isn't necessarily deadly, but hopefully the experience will make you rethink your actions.

It's a losing battle, and it's useless to resist the tide, because none of the things in this topic are ever going to go away now that they exist, but it's because people are willing to accept them that they exist in the first place.
---
"In peace, vigilance. In war, victory. In death, sacrifice." ~ The Grey Wardens
http://www.trueachievements.com/mygames.aspx?gamerid=71900
#9SunDevil77Posted 10/2/2012 3:08:32 PM
Jukain posted...
SunDevil77 posted...
Jukain posted...

Falling off a cliff isn't necessarily deadly, but hopefully the experience will make you rethink your actions.

It's a losing battle, and it's useless to resist the tide, because none of the things in this topic are ever going to go away now that they exist, but it's because people are willing to accept them that they exist in the first place.

You are a very sick, demented person.
---
#10levyjl1988(Topic Creator)Posted 10/2/2012 3:19:04 PM
SunDevil77 posted...
Jukain posted...
SunDevil77 posted...
Jukain posted...

You are a very sick, demented person.

Jukain is correct. If we don't address the issue or what's wrong with gaming, the hobby and what we enjoy about it diminishes. It is lost to the sharks in business and becomes more of a cash grab with lazy effort than an intellectual medium to convey story, characters, etc.

The way video games are being handled are done poorly and illogically, it's being handled by people who haven't evaluated the situation or think critically from multiple perspectives.
For a game/business to succeed as well as make a consumer happy, the way games are produced, and viewed have to be done more critically.

SunDevil77 needs to watch some Extra Credits
http://extra-credits.net/episodes/

When you have seen all these episodes, you have my persmisson to die, err I mean return to this topic and reflect on what you just said...
---
"- - - - the king's guard. - - - - the city. - - - - the king."