This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Digital distribution IS the future, deal with it

#41Maxx_the_SlashPosted 10/3/2012 6:11:03 PM
The day when digital distribution becomes the only means to get games is the day I quit buying them.

Digital distribution is going to kill businesses like GameStop, and I wont support anything that will cause the loss of jobs. I know GameStop employees are barely-functioning zilches when it comes to their gaming knowledge, but they probably nice people to know personally, and they need to eat.
---
Opie & Anthony | Ron & Fez, XM 105/Sirius 206
XBL: Maxx the Slash | PSN: Maxx_the_Slash | 3DS: 3222-5637-7984
#42McStinkwrinkle(Topic Creator)Posted 10/3/2012 6:15:07 PM
Maxx_the_Slash posted...
The day when digital distribution becomes the only means to get games is the day I quit buying them.

Digital distribution is going to kill businesses like GameStop, and I wont support anything that will cause the loss of jobs. I know GameStop employees are barely-functioning zilches when it comes to their gaming knowledge, but they probably nice people to know personally, and they need to eat.

It also opens doors for indie devs. Id rather their work be noticed than for some teenager to work for a big corporation for min wage. Gs employee is a job. Not a career.
#43Maxx_the_SlashPosted 10/3/2012 6:41:47 PM
McStinkwrinkle posted...
Maxx_the_Slash posted...

It also opens doors for indie devs. Id rather their work be noticed than for some teenager to work for a big corporation for min wage. Gs employee is a job. Not a career.

You raise a good point, but sometimes I'd rather support an established studio that would make a game like Skyrim, rather that supporting Indie studios that are not only capable of good games like Minecraft, but also complete **** like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFNfxQL7KiA
---
Opie & Anthony | Ron & Fez, XM 105/Sirius 206
XBL: Maxx the Slash | PSN: Maxx_the_Slash | 3DS: 3222-5637-7984
#44masblasPosted 10/3/2012 6:56:31 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#45failure_turtlePosted 10/3/2012 8:57:07 PM
Maxx_the_Slash posted...

Industries die and new industries spring up all the time. With the loss of gamestop and its employees comes an increased internet infrastructure that requires increased upkeep. You're actually taking low paying minimum wage jobs and replacing them with higher paying jobs. Don't be so short sighted.
---
Not changing this signature until I feel like it.
#46Worker_8_Posted 10/3/2012 9:01:02 PM
It's not going to happen. There are too many people that own consoles but don't have access to the internet. DD won't be happening for a very long time, if ever.
#47Mako_eyesPosted 10/3/2012 9:31:45 PM
EU already dealt wit it.
#48HulkxxSMASHPosted 10/3/2012 9:45:24 PM
Noone mentioned the reason that mp3 is probably doing so well is because for next to nothing you can buy individual tracks instead of whole albums... just for those couple of songs you actually wanted.

Unless future game downloads will mean you can choose to download one or two levels of your choosing then I don't see how you can make a comparison between the two...?
---
Hulk is strongest one there is... Hulk is... only one there is... only one... there... is... Hulk feels... cold
#49mrhappyguy12345Posted 10/3/2012 9:52:28 PM
HulkxxSMASH posted...
Noone mentioned the reason that mp3 is probably doing so well is because for next to nothing you can buy individual tracks instead of whole albums... just for those couple of songs you actually wanted.

Unless future game downloads will mean you can choose to download one or two levels of your choosing then I don't see how you can make a comparison between the two...?

Digital versus physical. It's about ease of access(dl it the moment it comes out, order online and wait a few days, or drive to the store), and how much room it takes up. I know one thing I like about my mp3 player is that I don't have to organize my cds, maintain them, or have them cluttering up my home. It's nice having all that info on one little device. I can see games working that way quite easily.
---
Playing: Little Big Planet Vita
Sleeping Dogs
#50HulkxxSMASHPosted 10/3/2012 9:55:59 PM
For the record I didn't say digital download was bad or not an inevitability... I was just saying that the comparison with mp3 doesn't work.
---
Hulk is strongest one there is... Hulk is... only one there is... only one... there... is... Hulk feels... cold