This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Digital distribution IS the future, deal with it

#51Halo_ForeverPosted 10/3/2012 10:49:49 PM
mrhappyguy12345 posted...

Digital versus physical. It's about ease of access(dl it the moment it comes out, order online and wait a few days, or drive to the store), and how much room it takes up. I know one thing I like about my mp3 player is that I don't have to organize my cds, maintain them, or have them cluttering up my home. It's nice having all that info on one little device. I can see games working that way quite easily.

With my current download speed it would be faster for me to CRAWL to a game store and buy it, than download it. Also the DL game also takes up my harddrive space, which to me is more limited than my IRL space.
---
Poet Eliot had it all wrong....
#52darkharePosted 10/3/2012 10:53:08 PM
User Name McStinkwrinkle
User ID 6672349
Board User Level 11: Provisional (2)
New account with less than 3 karma. Can post 1 topic, 15 messages per day (5 per hour)
Account Created Wednesday, October 3, 2012 4:42 PM
Last Visit Wednesday, October 3, 2012 8:35 PM

i think that pretty much says it all, dont you?
---
all my posts are quality, its you reading them that dirties 'em up.
#53McStinkwrinkle(Topic Creator)Posted 10/4/2012 5:04:52 AM
darkhare posted...
User Name McStinkwrinkle
User ID 6672349
Board User Level 11: Provisional (2)
New account with less than 3 karma. Can post 1 topic, 15 messages per day (5 per hour)
Account Created Wednesday, October 3, 2012 4:42 PM
Last Visit Wednesday, October 3, 2012 8:35 PM

i think that pretty much says it all, dont you?

So my opinion is invalid now because I'm new huh? I expected more from the fine citizens of the gamefaqs community. I come here expecting love and respect, instead I get barbs and vitrol. For shame gamefaqs. For shame.

Despite all the hate, I still love you guys. Even though some of you are completely wrong and misinformed about things. Maybe when the future is here and you all see how right I really am, you'll treat me with a little more respect.
#54McStinkwrinkle(Topic Creator)Posted 10/4/2012 5:10:22 AM
Halo_Forever posted...
mrhappyguy12345 posted...

Digital versus physical. It's about ease of access(dl it the moment it comes out, order online and wait a few days, or drive to the store), and how much room it takes up. I know one thing I like about my mp3 player is that I don't have to organize my cds, maintain them, or have them cluttering up my home. It's nice having all that info on one little device. I can see games working that way quite easily.

With my current download speed it would be faster for me to CRAWL to a game store and buy it, than download it. Also the DL game also takes up my harddrive space, which to me is more limited than my IRL space.

The key word is the future.

Tb hard drives go for under $100. Soon that will be standard in consoles so space wont be an issue. As for slow internet speeds, that will improve as well.

When the telephone came around I bet plenty of folks doubted that as well. "My call quality isn't good enough, these phone lines suck," they said. Wait until the infrastructure is fully established friends, and you will see.
#55Mister_LintonPosted 10/4/2012 5:20:19 AM
When is the last time you bought an actual music CD? Yep, it's happening.
#56naughtydog2kO3Posted 10/4/2012 5:38:27 AM
When is the last time you bought an actual music CD? Yep, it's happening.

About a week ago, don't know what the hell you're talking about.
---
XBL: naughtydog2k03
PSN: naughtydog2k03
#57Mako_eyesPosted 10/4/2012 5:41:35 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#58Mutant1988Posted 10/4/2012 5:43:07 AM
I'll keep buying physical copies.

If the terms of use change and I'm actually given a legal guarantee that I can keep my digital purchases, that's when I'll accept it as the standard.

I don't see that happening any time soon. If anything, DRM is getting worse.

Connect to an online service to download the game, connect to validate ownership, connect to transfer licenses between systems, hell, even be connected all the time to even play them.

But guess what? Those server on the other end? They're not going to be around forever. Certainly not as long as a physical copy.

This also renders portions of physical games unplayable. Why do so many multiplayer games lack LAN function, when the multiplayer itself is P2P?

Digital is primarily means to control distribution and availability, more than it is a service of convenience to the customer.
---
Know that if you allow someone to take advantage of you, they might make it a habit.
#59Halo_ForeverPosted 10/4/2012 6:59:53 AM
McStinkwrinkle posted...

Tb hard drives go for under $100. Soon that will be standard in consoles so space wont be an issue. As for slow internet speeds, that will improve as well.

A 1 TB harddrive is ridiculously small compared to what I would need for my collection, I couldn't even fit half of my collection for the X360 there.
---
Poet Eliot had it all wrong....